997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Opinion on Bumper Resprays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:16 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Opinion on Bumper Resprays

I have read and hear opinions on this topic and I hope to hear/read the thoughts of members. If a front or rear bumper on a 911 is repainted, is this a bad thing? or a non-issue with respect to resale? This is assuming the respray was because of rock chips.

Last edited by michaeldantep; 04-01-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
I've seen Porsche dealers pull out paint meters on trade-ins so I'm sure they would use that against you. Personally, I wouldn't mind a respray if due to rock chips and it was a quality job. I've done it myself

Old 04-01-2014, 12:23 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I was thinking about the same thing, my paint on my 2010 car seems to be thinner than my 07 cars and the 08. Its driving me crazy and I am thinking about the front bumper, mirror, hood and then getting the clear bra. My guess is as long as there is no accident damage and you can document it would not affect the value.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
I was thinking about the same thing, my paint on my 2010 car seems to be thinner than my 07 cars and the 08. Its driving me crazy and I am thinking about the front bumper, mirror, hood and then getting the clear bra. My guess is as long as there is no accident damage and you can document it would not affect the value.
I know the paint is getting thinner and thinner b/c of EPA. I remember when I bought my 2005 jet black M3 and I had it sitting next to my 2002 jet black BMW 330Ci and even then it was less black. Soon they will sell primer cars and you just go buy a colored clear bra

Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by ecpChris
I've seen Porsche dealers pull out paint meters on trade-ins so I'm sure they would use that against you. Personally, I wouldn't mind a respray if due to rock chips and it was a quality job. I've done it myself
They did this on my Porsche C2S Cab on trade-in, but because I had the entire front end wrapped in clear bra, they couldn't tell!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:42 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
There you go, spray and clear bra!! Paint meter wouldn't work with bra installed as you mentioned.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
I recently purchased a 2008TT CPO from a state that requires front and rear license plates. Since my state only uses rear license, I must repair the damage caused by the front license bracket ( one would think that German engineering could devise a better way to display plates rather than 1.5" screws into the bumper ) My options are limited, new bumper, fill and paint, or bumper plugs, I've decided to fill, paint and clear bra. If a future buyer objects to four filled screw holes and paint, too bad.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
paint meters work on bumpers? I thought they only worked in metal?

Old 04-01-2014, 02:21 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by w00zy
paint meters work on bumpers? I thought they only worked in metal?
You beat me to it! That is correct. They work based off the magnetic field strength of the metal and how much is in between the metal and the meter.

Repainting the front bumper won't affect the value at all (assuming it's done correctly/well). It's very common on these cars. I'd just save the receipt for it (and some photos too) so you can show it wasn't due to an accident. Repainting the rear bumper is an entirely different story since it isn't prone to rock chips like the front. I'd wonder myself why a rear bumper was repainted...

P.S. And technically they're "bumper covers" not "bumpers." The metal bar under them is the "bumper."

Last edited by teflon_jones; 04-01-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Interesting, didn't know that about paint meters ^
Thanks guys

Old 04-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
You beat me to it! That is correct. They work based off the magnetic field strength of the metal and how much is in between the metal and the meter.

Repainting the front bumper won't affect the value at all (assuming it's done correctly/well). It's very common on these cars. I'd just save the receipt for it (and some photos too) so you can show it wasn't due to an accident. Repainting the rear bumper is an entirely different story since it isn't prone to rock chips like the front. I'd wonder myself why a rear bumper was repainted...

P.S. And technically they're "bumper covers" not "bumpers." The metal bar under them is the "bumper."
Good to know. The entire front of my old and new car are covered, so full (still going to call it a bumper) bumper, full hood and full fenders, so I didn't think of the metal, non-metal issue.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
I don't believe there is any problem repainting a bumper due to chips or road rash. I have done it myself.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:06 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
Good to know. The entire front of my old and new car are covered, so full (still going to call it a bumper) bumper, full hood and full fenders, so I didn't think of the metal, non-metal issue.
And I usually just call them bumpers too.....

I've actually seen a dealer try and use a paint meter on the front and rear bumpers and the guy couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I have to admit I just stood by and quietly laughed on the inside for several minutes before I took pity on the guy and told him why!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kwiksilver
I recently purchased a 2008TT CPO from a state that requires front and rear license plates. Since my state only uses rear license, I must repair the damage caused by the front license bracket ( one would think that German engineering could devise a better way to display plates rather than 1.5" screws into the bumper ) My options are limited, new bumper, fill and paint, or bumper plugs, I've decided to fill, paint and clear bra. If a future buyer objects to four filled screw holes and paint, too bad.
How about bumperplugs.com ?

Old 04-02-2014, 05:14 PM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
How about bumperplugs.com ?
One option I considered, and obviously the most cost effective, but they would still not look right IMO

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Bumper Resprays