997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Engine is toast - what are the options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Rebuild bigger and better.
I've been in your position (with watercraft) and although it cost me a pretty penny, I was happier in the long run.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:53 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
What fuel was the kit running on?

Old 04-13-2014, 03:34 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
If the engine is truly toast, the best thing to do is sell it as is, and get into another one. It will be the fastest way to put that smile back on your face. I had a 99 that kept have minor bugs and my dealership is an hour and a half away. The last time I took it in, there were four codes, and I traded it on the spot. Paid more for the next one than I really wanted to, but there have been nothing but smiles since then ... four years later.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:46 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have the EVT700 kit on my car with no issues . Now I do pamper the car and it only has 16K miles on it . When the 775 kit came out I decided to pass it up for two reasons : 1) I felt my car was fast enough for my taste and 2) since my enginw was reliable I felt this was a good place to put an enpoint with this car's modding .

About a year ago out of curiosity I did request a DME scan on the car . I was surprised to see levels 1-5 over revs . The 1-3 were abundant , the 4's were significant and there was only one split second 5 . My first thought was that when modding a car the stock parameterrs are changed and must be compensated with parts like inercoolers and such. Either way i did wonder if those who opted for more excessive hard driving would face engine wear snags .

My logic on an engine circumstance such as yours would be to buy a new engine . I would also get to the root of the cause of the engine failure and i also would shop for an engine in the same manner that one shops for a new car .

Good luck !!! Hope this helps.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:28 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
The car is now at Protomotive. I transported it myself on Friday and met with their team.

The question now is what to do. Engine is toast. From what came out of the drain plug (parts of rod bolt, nuts, big chunks of engine case, bearing, and some other "unidentifiable" pieces of metal/steel), rebuilding this one is probably not a good option.

There is a good possibility that it pumped debris through the turbos so there is a good possibility those are shot as well.

I still need to find a core so that I can have something to start with.

Nothing on ebay...the last 997.1 turbo motor there sold for $ 28,990.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM
thackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to allthackl is a name known to all
I currently have tune (EVOMSit), exhaust, semisolid engine mounts, sachs 2.5 and a few other things. Threads like this make me realize I should not mod the car any further. It runs great and I would not be able to stomach a 60k loss/repair. For less than that repair, you can make a very fast Z06...or something else cheaper.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Contact LA Dismantlers....they'll more then likely have an engine for you.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Contact LA Dismantlers....they'll more then likely have an engine for you.
Thanks Tom. I am in contact with them right now. I am also working a couple of other options...thanks!

Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
Tailwag, Sorry to hear about all the damage. I was hoping to hear that that the case was intact. How many miles did you have on the full mod? Were you at a high RPM when the break-apart occurred? I'm running 729 lbs of torque at the wheels, Mustang Dyno, were you higher than that?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by kenromero
Tailwag, Sorry to hear about all the damage. I was hoping to hear that that the case was intact. How many miles did you have on the full mod? Were you at a high RPM when the break-apart occurred? I'm running 729 lbs of torque at the wheels, Mustang Dyno, were you higher than that?
Hey Ken - I had about 11k since the evt775 install. I was doing about 130mph or so but on 6th gear under partial load. I am not anywhere close to the power you are making. By "guesstimate", I would say around 600hp to the tires and maybe 650 lbs of tq.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the quick response, I am attending another 1/2 mile event this Saturday and REALLY wonder how the mapping differs from one company to another. There hasn't been any similar "blow aparts" with GIAC (that I have heard about) and I hope that I don't experience what you have. I am willing to do an engine build but am hoping to do it next year. I have perhaps about 6,000 miles since the last mod and mapping install. We will see how this Saturday's event goes!!

Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
729lbs of torque on a mustang dyno!!! No joke that's like 800 on a dyno jet! Your crazy Ken haha

Old 04-14-2014, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by yumaverick
729lbs of torque on a mustang dyno!!! No joke that's like 800 on a dyno jet! Your crazy Ken haha

Anthony, I'm crazy?!?! You are putting out much more HP than mine!!!!!! That is why we were even out of the hole but your horsepower showed its strength as we got into the higher gears.

See you Saturday!!!! I wonder whose engine will go first? Torque or Horsepower??? And WHEN.......

Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Anthony, I'm crazy?!?! You are putting out much more HP than mine!!!!!! That is why we were even out of the hole but your horsepower showed its strength as we got into the higher gears.

See you Saturday!!!! I wonder whose engine will go first? Torque or Horsepower??? And WHEN.......
I hope neither go! I'm building mine soon though for the piece of mind!

See you Saturday bud!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:00 PM
K24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond reputeK24F has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Just run a few high speed runs, I mean from end 5th to end 6th and you will be fixed!
My stock internals held 670hp/900Nm at this game with 66mm VTGs, but once the Alpha turbos were bolted (with a proper tune from Protomotive) 4 of my 6 rods bent after a few 100-300 tests, by luck I "felt" it and rebuilt before the big damage!
My little experience tells me our internals are ok to hold a lot of power until we don't exceed end 4rth runs... (both "short" and "reasonnable" load on the internals)

P.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine is toast - what are the options?