997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Engine is toast - what are the options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !yumaverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by K24F
Hi,
Just run a few high speed runs, I mean from end 5th to end 6th and you will be fixed!
My stock internals held 670hp/900Nm at this game with 66mm VTGs, but once the Alpha turbos were bolted (with a proper tune from Protomotive) 4 of my 6 rods bent after a few 100-300 tests, by luck I "felt" it and rebuilt before the big damage!
My little experience tells me our internals are ok to hold a lot of power until we don't exceed end 4rth runs... (both "short" and "reasonnable" load on the internals)

P.
I usually drive on medium boost unless it an event. It does make me nervous opening her up through all 6 gears on stock motor, but what can you do. We'll know soon enough. Hoping the e85 and the way my car is tuned with syvecs helps. The way Switzer set up the tune with the standalone is pretty smart. I would say how, but I don't want to give Switzer's info away without permission.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by K24F
Hi,
Just run a few high speed runs, I mean from end 5th to end 6th and you will be fixed!
My stock internals held 670hp/900Nm at this game with 66mm VTGs, but once the Alpha turbos were bolted (with a proper tune from Protomotive) 4 of my 6 rods bent after a few 100-300 tests, by luck I "felt" it and rebuilt before the big damage!
My little experience tells me our internals are ok to hold a lot of power until we don't exceed end 4rth runs... (both "short" and "reasonnable" load on the internals)

P.
The alphas will transform the stock rods into dirty socks...
I did a lot of 5th and 6th gear pulls as those seemed to be the ones that did the best on the car - it pulled like a mo'fo...but now I know what can happen.

On a side note - THANK YOU to everyone that has helped me thus far sending links, offering to inspect cores, and searching for different hings. It is really appreciated.
A core was found and it is on its way to Protomotive. What comes next, we shall see.

Last edited by TAILWAG; 04-16-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:07 AM
fireballr32 is a jewel in the roughfireballr32 is a jewel in the roughfireballr32 is a jewel in the roughfireballr32 is a jewel in the rough
Hey Tailwag!

how's it going?
any news?

cheers,
Luke

Old 05-21-2014, 12:18 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I just read this thread , sorry for your trouble. I would rebuild a core and limit the power output to 6-650. That way there is a lot less stress on everything. Was the bottom end of the motor built with the EVT build or not? What does Evo have to say?
I notice you have a lot of nice road racing upgrades, I think you'll find less max hp will be easier to drive fast. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 05-21-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Curious to see what's the outcome of this.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:52 PM
SeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud ofSeattleBum has much to be proud of
I had a rod bearing go on my 997.1 and had to rebuild my entire engine. We bumped it to 3.8L, Carillo rods, 10mm headstuds, shuffle-pin cases, regrind on the crank, oil pump, etc, etc - all for about $30k with labor.

It sucks, but I drive my EVT700+ w/ confidence now. Oh, and the extra torque (615AWTQ) is sooo nice!

Old 03-22-2015, 05:35 AM
997.2 TTS is infamous around these parts
Check carefully to see if something from the road hit and damaged an engine component which caused the failure. If so, your auto collision coverage will cover the damage. I had a client once that had a rock from the road shear an oil line which destroyed the engine that was paid for by his auto insurance.

Last edited by 997.2 TTS; 03-22-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997.2 TTS
Check carefully to see if something from the road hit and damaged an engine component which caused the failure. If so, your auto collision coverage will cover the damage. I had a client once that had a rock from the road shear an oil line which destroyed the engine that was paid for by his auto insurance.
Maybe...but a claim after one year might be problematic - all this occurred in April, 2014. Never did hear final resolution.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:18 AM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
Sell your car off and by something else. In the end you will have 120k in a car worth 50k.
Seems way premature for that. Buying a crate engine from porsche is not the only option here. It seems very very likely to me he can be in and out of this for under 20k with sweet upgraded motor. May take a little patience if he needs to source a replacement block, but that's not the end of the world.

Evoms has 3.8 and 4.0 liter upgrade kits.... just saying.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:38 AM
TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleBum
I had a rod bearing go on my 997.1 and had to rebuild my entire engine. We bumped it to 3.8L, Carillo rods, 10mm headstuds, shuffle-pin cases, regrind on the crank, oil pump, etc, etc - all for about $30k with labor.

It sucks, but I drive my EVT700+ w/ confidence now. Oh, and the extra torque (615AWTQ) is sooo nice!
I'm in Bellevue too- Who did your rebuild? Just out of curiosity.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:46 AM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeattleBum

Sounds like my experience will be similar to yours.
I also am going the route of Carillo rods, Mahle pistons, oversized head studs and crank work. What is shuffle-pin cases? Perhaps I should have that done also? We are hoping the crank is ready this week and re-assembly will begin.

I had bent 3 rods and pulverized a bearing. It appeared that the worst bent rod was the culprit in wearing away the bearing. It took about a year for the bearing to wear completely away. We had noticed a drop of about 100hp at the wheels on the dyno but didn't know the rods were bent. At its peak, I dyno'd 651hp and 729lbs of torque (I should have expected problems but I just wanted more power). Have you dyno'd the new build?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
"I should have expected problems but I just wanted more power"

Glad to see you are in good spirits.. new build will definitely make more power

Old 03-24-2015, 10:39 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Well, here is an update. I got the car back from Protomotive in June sometime last year.
The car ran great for a little bit, but shortly after I got it back, an 02 sensor went out. The sensor was replaced, but within ours, it would go out yet again. It was frustrating.

Long story...but Todd from Protomotive (I love these guys) was able to figure out the problem. There was a short in the ECU...

The previous owner of the car used to have a trackmate system with video cameras and when that system was removed, one of the leads was left connected to a harness that was connected to the ECU. With time, that wire started to rub against he cage of the car and eventually chewed through the plastic wrap on the wire.

The wire (bastard!) was removed and all problems were solved. I know the guy/mechanic that removed the track-mate system and he has always been extremely helpful. Everyone makes a mistake. I did not feel like raising an issue about this, except bringing it to his attention. He is a great guy and a good friend...but that oversight was what lead the motor to blow. *sigh*

Anywho, after the removal of that silly wire, Todd and his team tested the car to ensure I would not have any more issues and a month later I got it back for the second time. The car makes 630awhp/630lbstq and this combination is perfect for me. Power everywhere...and no heatsoaking at all.

Protomotive modifed the air box and tweaked a few things as well. I am on flex fuel and run e85 most of the time to keep things safe. It is fairly easy to access here in Kansas and I run e70-e80 blend most of the time.

That is good enough to put buttwhoops on ZR1's with 660 rwhp, GT-R's with 680awhp and vipers with 720rwhp.... I ran another EVT here in town that runs 110octane and puts down about 680-690 to the tires and I had no problem putting a few cars on him.

On the corners the car is untouchable.

So...that stupid little wire was what blew the motor in the first place. If it weren't for Todd at Protomotive finding this issue and his tuning catching the issues w/the 02 sensors, a second catastrophic failure would have been only a matter of time. Scary thought.

The car runs 100x better than before...I am extremely pleased with it. I have NOTHING but good...nix that, nothing but GREAT things to say about Todd and everyone at Protomotive. From taking my calls at all times, to answering 1,000+ stupid questions during the whole process and going through every possible scenario when putting my car back together; these guys are the best in the business. I know we could have squeezed another 100awhp out of the car but we want to keep it running for a very long time.

I have had the car back for almost a year now...she is absolutely great!

Last edited by TAILWAG; 03-24-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 PM
cotmfk is infamous around these parts
I'm glad this worked out for you. Thanks for sharing the update.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:47 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
So this makes me less nervous about getting a tune. I thought maybe the tune blew the engine. But why would a short in the ECU cause the motor to blow?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine is toast - what are the options?