997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PDK Reliability and 997.1 or 997.2?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PSTT07
How long do you plan to keep the car? If you're looking at a turbo S with 50k miles you'll likely be purchasing one with maximum depriciation at this point. If you're only going to keep the car 12 months I would op for the least expensive turbo that fits your needs - 997.1 or .2. If you're in it for the long haul I would go for the newer model with less miles. Since you're not going to mod, the S with PDK, PCCB, LED and a host of other nice factory options is the way to go.

IMO...a well maintained turbo in any year is a great car. So much value for the money.
Realistically I'll have the car a year. I prefer cars with the least amount of depreciation but I respect the fact that Turbos tend to drop fairly fast. If I get a higher mileage car it should curve this a little bit because it's already taken a big hit from the miles. I tend to only do about 4-5k a year on a car so with my driving the depreciation curve should be less. Then again, I know very little about Porsche values so I might be completely wrong but this has worked on all cars I've owned minus the Ferrari because Fcar owners are VERY fickle about mileage.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Continuing my search it seems there is a GT2 available in the same price range as the Turbo S. I don't mind a firm ride, assuming it's firm like the GT3. Is the maintenance significantly more in a GT2 compared to a Turbo?

Since the GT2 is quite rare, does it hold it's resale value better? If I were to only own for a year, would it be wiser to get the GT2?

Old 05-02-2014, 08:46 AM
997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold997tt+C63 is a splendid one to behold
GT2 will hold its value better, but only comes in manual.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Oh and to add to my hate of the PCM, while I dont think they come without PCM, if yocu an be lucky enough to find one that does you just saved yourself 1500 bucks MIN for the removal and replacement of the STUPID fiber optic MOST system.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RossL
Continuing my search it seems there is a GT2 available in the same price range as the Turbo S. I don't mind a firm ride, assuming it's firm like the GT3. Is the maintenance significantly more in a GT2 compared to a Turbo?

Since the GT2 is quite rare, does it hold it's resale value better? If I were to only own for a year, would it be wiser to get the GT2?
It holds value better and is in all aspects better than the turbo!

Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Squat
*** is not needed, they do not help you on the track, they arent much better if at all than the sport seats... they are sport seats with side bolsters. And a PIA for some people to get in and out with. Try them both before you "NEED" something
PCM SUCKS you are better off with some POS radio that you can switch to a real one.
Sports chrono can be added later. And you dont get the stupid Timer ont he dash that honestly is one more thing to rattle.
Steering wheel is a problem? You really need to drive one before deciding what you are gonna change or swap

Frankly I read on these boards all i needed and i found that most guys are parroting what others say. I love the tiptronic and think the 6sp is annoying. PDK is cool but for daily driving the tip is perfect for what you are gonna do, unless you race Veyrons.

As tot he Reliablity... using a NEW 991 system to compare the .2 PDK isa bad idea. I guess one could say Porsche decided to switch PDK's after just 2 years of production. Same with the 3.8 engine. The .1 has been around forever and the GT3 in ALMS still uses it. yeah the 991 GT3 uses the Mill from the .1

So I dont think a message board is the place to get your options list and get your opinions as to seats and such

One thing to watch on PDK's is the vintage- the one in my 991 is definitely quicker than older versions.

From what I've read the 991 GT3 uses quite a revamped engine over the 997.1 GT3, I think there are quite a few differences, DFI being one.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PSTT07
How long do you plan to keep the car? If you're looking at a turbo S with 50k miles you'll likely be purchasing one with maximum depriciation at this point. If you're only going to keep the car 12 months I would op for the least expensive turbo that fits your needs - 997.1 or .2. If you're in it for the long haul I would go for the newer model with less miles. Since you're not going to mod, the S with PDK, PCCB, LED and a host of other nice factory options is the way to go.

IMO...a well maintained turbo in any year is a great car. So much value for the money.

I just got a look at this one yesterday:

http://porscheofthevillage.com/certi...90685/info.php

Fantastic looking car in person. Traditional 6-speed and I think it's the Mezger engine (3.6). I also heard the 3.6 Turbos don't have the IMS/RMS issues?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
nsurg is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by chance6
I just got a look at this one yesterday:

http://porscheofthevillage.com/certi...90685/info.php

Fantastic looking car in person. Traditional 6-speed and I think it's the Mezger engine (3.6). I also heard the 3.6 Turbos don't have the IMS/RMS issues?
True, they don't have the IMS/RMS issues as the non-turbo, different engine. It was ironic to me that the turbo was apparently more reliable.

I think that's a nice car with professionally done photograpy that should cost at LEAST $10-15k less than what they are asking for 2007 non cabriolet, but my opinion may be off on this. The biggest problem with the car in this link is no sport chrono, IMO, which is a great kick in the pants, I never drive with this option turned off. And as you said, you don't want to chip it/tune it with 1y of average ownership. I'd say get a 2008 or 2009 (still mezger/stick) and try to get a 2 or 1.5y remaining warranty on it, and you might hit the sweet spot for minimal depreciation at easy resale (since at 1y you might have warranty left and will find a few more buyers). These really seam to be reliable cars, though, for their competition at the time.

Look throughout the country, fly out after the dealer does a pre-purchase-inspection with a third party, and have the transport worked into the deal, and it opens up your options quite a bit on what to buy.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by chance6
One thing to watch on PDK's is the vintage- the one in my 991 is definitely quicker than older versions.

From what I've read the 991 GT3 uses quite a revamped engine over the 997.1 GT3, I think there are quite a few differences, DFI being one.
I as talking about the CUP Car, the GT3 in ALMS is and has always used the Meztger engine. The one you buy from Porsche uses the new one when its not on fire