997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Vboxed: Proto vs upsolute tune / stock exhaust vs fabspeed 200 cell straight pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
You have to flash in the different tunes, it isn't a flex fuel where it adjusts itself. Takes maybe 2 minutes....but you would have to empty the tank each time.

You could run all week on the 93 tune to work then Friday night fill up with e85 and flash the e85 tune

Old 06-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Yes, his switcher / interface is very easy to use.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:07 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Well, well, let's see what this does on the Protomotive race file to the 60-130 times! I have the low boost race setting of 1.3 and the Sport button of 1.5 as per Todd on the race file!!! I should get 1.2 and 1.4 in actuality as each setting I have so far on pump has been .1BAR (1.5psi) less then what Proto had called for. Ie. My low boost should be 1-1.1 but I get 1.0 and the high boost supposed to be 1.3 and I am getting 1.1-1.2. Again this is easily fixed with data logging back and forth, but this canned flash was just a favor and supposed to hold me over... So I am not complaining!!

I do not plan on running MS 109 especially as those two 20L pails were $220!!! THAT EQUALS $302 to full my 55L tank!! 😱 Who in the world runs this stuff all the time and can justify the cost!!! Even if purchase by the drum it works out to $251 per tank!! For comparison it cost $85 to fill this 55L tank on 94!

I figured since I have the file, I would "sacrifice" myself for the love of the 6speed members, so they can see what it does for all the ballers that can run this liquid gold!! LOL!

I am going to run my tank empty and out in one of these and see where an am at 60-130 and I will keep the other pail incase as an emergency protection against any immediate street threats/call outs until my "package is complete!!😉

Times soon come, again please note that I do not enjoy this type of activity, but I am doing this as a sacrifice to my fellow 6Speeders!😇😉
Excellent! Way to take one for the team. Can't wait to see your numbers, should be good for 0.3-0.5s off a 60-130

Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Excellent! Way to take one for the team. Can't wait to see your numbers, should be good for 0.3-0.5s off a 60-130

To tell you the truth, I am hoping to match or even slightly beat my 996 Billet 16 number of 7.45sec. I might be to optimistic for asking for + 0.7 sec drop, but 4.5 psi increase in the Proto tune vs Upsolute netted me 0.5sec and with the race tune with more aggressive timing and another 4.5 psi it might do even better! I know that I am running out of turbo wheel (cfm) and intercoolers especially with those little stockers pumping the extra heat, but we will see what she does!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 PM
To tell you the truth, I am hoping to match or even slightly beat my 996 Billet 16 number of 7.45sec. I might be to optimistic for asking for + 0.7 sec drop, but 4.5 psi increase in the Proto tune vs Upsolute netted me 0.5sec and with the race tune with more aggressive timing and another 4.5 psi it might do even better! I know that I am running out of turbo wheel (cfm) and intercoolers especially with those little stockers pumping the extra heat, but we will see what she does!

My testing for the VP109 was pretty eventful. First off during Fathers day I couldn’t really VBOX or test it out to much as I had both my children with me, but I knew I was making more power, as in a good bit more power, but the boost was a little erratic.

Later that night I went to my 60-130 location alone, slipped it into 3<sup>rd</sup> gear, floored it around 40mph and ,”POP!”! The Y pipe came right off of the throttle body. I brought the car to work the next day and they fixed it. I was excited to see how much quicker she was going to be! Later that night, the first time I floored it, the RPM/s went right up…poor stock clutch couldn't handle the extra power. Thank goodness my ERP triple should be here today or tomorrow.

I am figuring that my y pipe was most likely leaking before then, based on my previous day experience. I was booting it the day before with no clutch issues and now after fixing the y pipe I am slipping. To get some sort of 60-130 time, I was able to set up the car in a low load 2<sup>nd</sup> gear, 4-5K rpm roll, with a soft up shift (a little slip when I put it into third) and it held with the car feeling STRONG, as in wow I know that I am making a ton more power STRONG! It felt like when you flashed your stock Turbo, but now imagine that again on top of the original flash!

**AGAIN THESE ARE ALL CANNED PROTOMOTIVE TUNES WITHOUT DATALOGGING AND TUNING BACK AND FORTH!! SO THERE IS MORE TO BE HAD IN PUMP AND RACE FILE **

I went back to the place where I do my testing and tried some 60-130's with the same techniques I use to keep everything consistent, but to no avail. As soon as I floored it in 3<sup>rd</sup> at 40mph the rpms climbed right up and I had to lift and hit again, slipped in forth a bit and I still recorded 7.54sec! I tried a higher speed of 50mph in 2<sup>nd</sup> and it held and shifted into 3<sup>rd</sup> (slight slip before catch) and even with all that babying it did 7.23sec!! With a clutch to hold the power, this set up has a 6.9 or better for 100%!! I know that when I use to use 2<sup>nd</sup> in my 996 for 60-130 my times would usually go up 0.2-0.3 sec, also with the clutch not grabbing when I upshift and with me shifting a little more gentle (babying it so it does not slip) sub 6.9 is not out of the question!!!

I am very impressed with basically a stock car the way it is performing with the stock snails and intercooler, pluming etc. I keep telling myself I have not even started really modding the car, I am just documenting my set up until my parts finally start arriving & it is performing very well! The 997 response so well to mods and seams very efficient in making power and putting it down!

I am confident that the stock turbos on 94 pump, spraying %100 meth injection this car can match or even do better then 6.9’s with the cooling effect of the meth and should equal the same octane as the VP109! With rewheeled VTG’s it is going to be interesting on pump (I think 6.8's pump & 6.2's meth) and with E85 I am hoping for sub 6!

So my stock turbo 997 on VP109 is quicker then my previous 7.45 on my Billet 16 996 on pump. I can't see myself running race gas these numbers do not mean that much to me other then to know the stock turbo and components can flow enough for this type of power. I think if I was keeping the stock sized VTG’s I could match the 7.45 number with the same mods that I did on my 996. By adding cat-less exhaust, LWFW and tuning back and forth with Todd I think I can match the performance from my upgraded K16’s., pump vs pump.

**.92 sec quicker with the Protomotive MS109 tune (WITH A SLIPPING CLUTCH AND BABIED DRIVIN) vs Protomotive pump tune **

Protomotive canned tune (we didn't go back and forth data logging etc) at 1.4 -1.5 BAR (STOCK GAUGE ONLY GOES UP TO 1.2 SO I couldn't validate and didn't feel like pulling out my Durametrics that night)

= 7.23 (2nd gear started at 50mph, slow shift to 3rd, clutch slipped going into 3rd for about 1000rpms) avg temperature 17c

The 997 seams to handle the power effortlessly compared to the 996 and I am confident that most of that credit has to do with the 997's AWD system.

I will keep you guys posted as more mods come in. My cat-less Speedtech would be in by the end of the month.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VP.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	559.2 KB
ID:	388412  

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 06-17-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:39 PM
MBA
MBA is infamous around these parts
Congrats very good results on stock exhaust and slipping clutch!

Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by MBA
Congrats very good results on stock exhaust and slipping clutch!

Thank you, but the car has a 200cell catted 2.25" Fabspeed "straight pipes".

I am thinking with the SpeedTech Race X pipe being 3" vs 2.25 (for the Fabspeed straight pipes) and catless vs catted (200cell as well), I think I might pick up some power from them.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 06-17-2014, 04:05 PM
MBA
MBA is infamous around these parts
Sorry I was reading too fast

Looking forward to see results with the new clutch and new exhaust, great times so far out of the stock turbos

Old 06-17-2014, 06:50 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !

= 7.23 (2nd gear started at 50mph, slow shift to 3rd, clutch slipped going into 3rd for about 1000rpms) avg temperature 17c

Wow, that is really impressive!!!! I would never have thought to start in 2nd gear. Your time is what I get with upgraded vtgs on pumpgas (94 octane). These are ttdude's old turbos and he got 6.9 on racegas. These don't have the extruded hotside, and I believe there is a newer 63 wheel available, maybe hta?

In the spring when it was cold my clutch would slip a little with just the pump tune so I'm not surprised racegas made your stock clutch slip.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Wow, that is really impressive!!!! I would never have thought to start in 2nd gear. Your time is what I get with upgraded vtgs on pumpgas (94 octane). These are ttdude's old turbos and he got 6.9 on racegas. These don't have the extruded hotside, and I believe there is a newer 63 wheel available, maybe hta?

In the spring when it was cold my clutch would slip a little with just the pump tune so I'm not surprised racegas made your stock clutch slip.

We really need to meet up sometime soon my friend!

Again, being I do not plan on running the VP109 (I just used it to see the potential of the stock components & I know there is a lot left in it.), I feel it does not really represent MY car and am more interested in what I can do with pump and E85 as those are the fuels I will be running.

It is hard to compare numbers as there is too many variables. We can run with my race file and you might end up dragging me on your pump with your upgraded VTG's.

This is why I ONLY use these numbers to compare with MY OWN set up and to have a consistent delta to measure improvements on MY OWN car.

Because on the streets this does not matter too much, as my 996 was a testament of taking other cars by many car lengths down that "should of" drug me and got better 60-130 times then me.

This I know for sure that my 996 set up on pump was faster then my stock vtg set up by 0.7sec. Why do I know that? Because all MY variables are consistent. Road, shifting, start point (gear and speed) and even temp was all within a couple degrees. So I can safely say that my 996 would of walked my 997 on pump by 4-6 cars being 0.7sec quicker and on VP109 file my 997 without a slipping clutch(assuming 6.9) would walk my 996 on pump by 3-4 cars. I almost know that BECAUSE EVERYTHING WAS CONSISTANT WITH MY OWN TESTING.

We should meet up sometime and do some pulls, even though I said I would not be buying VP109 again, just to see where they stand.

We can also test your cars 60-130 under the same test conditions as mine, but I feel the 1st suggestions would be a little more fun!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 PM
QUOTE: " I would never have thought to start in 2nd gear."

I just did that so I don't slip in 3rd gear with the higher load. All my best times were always with 3rd & 4th gear pulls. I always lost about 0.2-0.3sec using second, again it was just used so I can at least get a number with out the clutch completely slipping, hence why I know this car by that fact alone has a 6.9 in it.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
You have to flash in the different tunes, it isn't a flex fuel where it adjusts itself. Takes maybe 2 minutes....but you would have to empty the tank each time.

You could run all week on the 93 tune to work then Friday night fill up with e85 and flash the e85 tune
the problem that most forget is most pump e85 at the filling station isn't e85 but a lower grade. you are then running a higher timing tune on low grade e85. not a good combo

Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
the problem that most forget is most pump e85 at the filling station isn't e85 but a lower grade. you are then running a higher timing tune on low grade e85. not a good combo
I wish we had E85 at the pumps as I would just tune a little more conservative for the convenience of a true pump fuel like E85!!

For now I am going to be ordering drums of VP C85 (C=consistant blend)

Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 PM
We really need to meet up sometime soon my friend!

It is hard to compare numbers as there is too many variables. We can run with my race file and you might end up dragging me on your pump with your upgraded VTG's.

We should meet up sometime and do some pulls, even though I said I would not be buying VP109 again, just to see where they stand.

We can also test your cars 60-130 under the same test conditions as mine, but I feel the 1st suggestions would be a little more fun!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

We should definitely meet up...before my new snails arrive.