997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Did my car get totaled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:47 PM
kchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond repute
hey guys sorry for the stupid question but what does diminished value compensation mean?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
ilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of lightilko is a glorious beacon of light
The damage repair estimate has to be more than 75% of the value of the car in order for the ins co to declare it a total loss. So, on a $80K car you will need to have $60K in estimated repair costs. If the engine is toast, you're getting close.

Where is the car currently? My advice is to take it to a body shop that deals with high end restorations. Speak with the owner and have them go over the car with the ins co adjuster. In most cases the shop owner will fight for you, because they make more money at the end. For instance, the adjuster might say you can just fix up the passenger door. Ask for a new door to be ordered instead and make sure it's aluminum (turbo and GT cars come with those to save weight, regular 997 have steel doors). The shop owner will know all these things and will try to get it right but you need to educate yourself on what it takes to repair that kind of damage as well.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 PM
kchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ilko
The damage repair estimate has to be more than 75% of the value of the car in order for the ins co to declare it a total loss. So, on a $80K car you will need to have $60K in estimated repair costs. If the engine is toast, you're getting close.

Where is the car currently? My advice is to take it to a body shop that deals with high end restorations. Speak with the owner and have them go over the car with the ins co adjuster. In most cases the shop owner will fight for you, because they make more money at the end. For instance, the adjuster might say you can just fix up the passenger door. Ask for a new door to be ordered instead and make sure it's aluminum (turbo and GT cars come with those to save weight, regular 997 have steel doors). The shop owner will know all these things and will try to get it right but you need to educate yourself on what it takes to repair that kind of damage as well.
ohh got you! the car is still at the towing lot, waiting for it to be picked up my the insurance towing company and get it towed to the shop I will be using. So ill make sure to be there when the adjuster is there also! thank you!

Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM
moacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond reputemoacur has a reputation beyond repute
Whoa, glad you are ok! That is quite the side to side impact

Old 08-04-2014, 07:16 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ilko

Thank goodness there are places here in SoCal (where the OP lives) like Spectrum Collision, that only deal in BMW's, and Porsches (they are owned by a BMW dealer). Every part they use is factory, down to the nuts and bolts. And their paint-matching is perfect...and their work is guaranteed for the life of the car.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kchu221
Thank you very much! how can I have the car labeled "totaled" ?? wouldn't the insurance company have to send out an inspector first to inspect the car?? this is my first time ever having an accident so im not sure what to do... any advice will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!
Unfortunately I haven't had an accident more serious than a fender bender (the other party was at fault), so I'm not really an authority on insurance accident claims. However I believe that a vehicle can be declared totaled if either the engine or frame is damaged OR the cost of repairs exceed some percentage of the cars pre-accident value.

Some states use a formula to determine whether a wreck can be declared "totaled". I would check on California's "totaled" formula (if they have one) and work with the insurance company to determine the extent and cost of repairs (I would also contact a top tier body shop that work on Porsches or other exotic cars to get their estimate as well on the total cost of repairs, as insurance companies have been known to low-ball repair costs).

Sorry you are going through this, I have an idea how you feel, your prized toy has lost that luster and you're not sure you want to keep it (I once sold a MBenz 12yrs ago because someone broke into it and stole an aftermarket stereo. Repairs were minor, just the front passenger glass but the car felt violated and I never looked at it the same. I reinstalled the stock radio and sold the car within 2 weeks!). Wait to see what the repair estimate looks like and decide. It might be worth keeping if the damage looks worse than it actually is.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Banned
CALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond reputeCALGUY has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know who your insurance company is unless I missed that part but I would pray for a total. The car will never be the same and the car fax is going to hurt you when you sell or trade. Accidents suck. Good that you are OK but now your insurance will have to pay and as a result your premiums will go up. Praying for a total but it doesn't look like there be enough damage. Hope they catch the hit and run for you. Keep us posted on the outcome and GL.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:47 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
First off glad your ok this was my 993TT that my insurance Co(Hagerty) said they where gonna fix after having their inspector look at in the tow yard lot,i then contacted Todd at Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler in the SFV & sent him some pics & he told me if i got it to him, he would get it totaled & he did.He had the insurance come back out to his place & they changed there mind, after he got done talking to them about actual repairs & parts costs & they wrote me a check for $85k gotta love the agreed upon value policy .

Last edited by twturbo; 08-04-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 PM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
Thank you very much! how can I have the car labeled "totaled" ?? wouldn't the insurance company have to send out an inspector first to inspect the car?? this is my first time ever having an accident so im not sure what to do... any advice will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!
You'd be surprised how little damage a car has to have for an insurance company to total it. Their costs are then fixed and know vs. getting into repairing a high end car with potential hidden damage driving up costs. Also you have valid claims for diminished value. As has been pointed out if the person who hit you has no insurance you'll be going after your own insurance company. I had F car with 18K in damage and I was able to get the insurance company to write me a check for 35K, the limit of the insureds policy, based on my claim for diminished value and rental car costs (the law assumes you should be able to have a similar car while yours is being repaired). Regardless, sit tight till your insurance company declares their position, I suspect it will be totaled but thats just my guess.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
If not a head-on collision, it's no surprise the airbags didn't deploy

Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Thanks every one for all the tips! I just got a call from my claim adjuster and she said that she has set up for a tow truck to go pick up the car from the tow lot and tow it to the shop of my choice, so well see what happens now...

Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 AM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
Thanks every one for all the tips! I just got a call from my claim adjuster and she said that she has set up for a tow truck to go pick up the car from the tow lot and tow it to the shop of my choice, so well see what happens now...
I'd be carful to take it to a shop that is "sympathetic" in supporting a total. Even really knowledgable claims adjusters don't know the specifics of every car and the details on repair costs. It's sad to see a car totaled, but it will never be the same. Even if it is you will have serious issues with diminished value when you try to sell it. Once it's totaled it might even be resurrected, but with a salvage title which really hits it's value. That doesn't mean someone won't buy it, after all they are great cars and you could be behind the wheel on the cheap. Most likely it would be parted out, lots of valuable components here. Take the money and start looking for a replacement, they're out there.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by 550bryan
I'd be carful to take it to a shop that is "sympathetic" in supporting a total. Even really knowledgable claims adjusters don't know the specifics of every car and the details on repair costs. It's sad to see a car totaled, but it will never be the same. Even if it is you will have serious issues with diminished value when you try to sell it. Once it's totaled it might even be resurrected, but with a salvage title which really hits it's value. That doesn't mean someone won't buy it, after all they are great cars and you could be behind the wheel on the cheap. Most likely it would be parted out, lots of valuable components here. Take the money and start looking for a replacement, they're out there.

The shop I will be taking the car too does good job.

Last edited by kchu221; 08-05-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:12 PM
r_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud ofr_matt_6 has much to be proud of
glad you made it out in one piece.

+1 on pushing for a total. Any little creak or noise after repairs will have you wondering if it stemmed from the accident.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by r_matt_6
glad you made it out in one piece.

+1 on pushing for a total. Any little creak or noise after repairs will have you wondering if it stemmed from the accident.
Thank you very much! my claim advisor just emailed me saying the field examiner will be coming to the body shop tomorrow to inspect the car. wish me luck... hahah

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did my car get totaled?