997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Did my car get totaled?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kchu221
the shop I will be taking the car to knows that I want it totaled! haha
I think you've gotten a lot of good feedback and are on your way to getting to your desired outcome. My recommendation is to stop posting things like the above. Everything on the internet is documented and you don't need the insurance company seeing things like this on well known forums like 6 speed. it would undermine your credibility as well as the shop you take it to. just my 2 cents

GL
Art

Old 08-05-2014, 03:09 PM
kchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aa909
I think you've gotten a lot of good feedback and are on your way to getting to your desired outcome. My recommendation is to stop posting things like the above. Everything on the internet is documented and you don't need the insurance company seeing things like this on well known forums like 6 speed. it would undermine your credibility as well as the shop you take it to. just my 2 cents

GL
Art
thank you very much Art, its just that its my first time getting into an accident like this... I gotta watch what I say...

Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM
haivle is infamous around these parts
thank you very much Art, its just that its my first time getting into an accident like this... I gotta watch what I say...
looks like a totalled to me , or just tell them if they decide to fix they should write you a fat check for diminished value good luck

Old 08-05-2014, 03:41 PM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
Thank you very much! my claim advisor just emailed me saying the field examiner will be coming to the body shop tomorrow to inspect the car. wish me luck... hahah
I hope you've discussed your perspective with the body shop in detail first. A good body shop is going to tell the claims adjusted what the car needs and it's cost, not the other way around. A good body shop will manage the discussion, not just listen to the adjuster. He has to be onboard and agree with you regarding the total. After all if you're successful he'll be out of a job. If he's not in your camp he could low ball or down play the repairs in order to get the job (there's not a lot of room for him here, but a little), netting him $$$ even though the car might not be the same. It's not enough that it's a good body shop at doing repairs it has to be a good body ship in terms of helping yo get your desired result of a total.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
kchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond reputekchu221 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by haivle
looks like a totalled to me , or just tell them if they decide to fix they should write you a fat check for diminished value good luck
If the claim adjuster declares the car total, can I still ask for a diminished value also?

Originally Posted by 550bryan
I hope you've discussed your perspective with the body shop in detail first. A good body shop is going to tell the claims adjusted what the car needs and it's cost, not the other way around. A good body shop will manage the discussion, not just listen to the adjuster. He has to be onboard and agree with you regarding the total. After all if you're successful he'll be out of a job. If he's not in your camp he could low ball or down play the repairs in order to get the job (there's not a lot of room for him here, but a little), netting him $$$ even though the car might not be the same. It's not enough that it's a good body shop at doing repairs it has to be a good body ship in terms of helping yo get your desired result of a total.
Thank you very much!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 PM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=kchu221;4169159]If the claim adjuster declares the car total, can I still ask for a diminished value also?

If the car is totaled no diminished value, you simply receive the value of the car based on the terms of your policy. The insurance company then owns the car and will dispose of it to maximize their return. It's not uncommon in old car circles to find an owner of a totaled car buying it back from the insurance company in order to bring it back to life. The price to buy it back is a negotiated number.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:57 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Good luck K. Glad you are okay man.
No matter what happens, I'll help were I can to get that P-Car smile back on your face.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 AM
Bill8411 is just really niceBill8411 is just really niceBill8411 is just really niceBill8411 is just really nice
What's in it for the body shop to "help you" get your car totaled?

What costs, time, and responsibilities are borne by the repair facility only to have your vehicle totaled?

Body/repair shops are not in the business to write high estimates for your benefit.

As a former repair facility owner, you were my worst customer. Unless that engine/trans is toast, your car is repairable.

Just another view for you to consider. I do wish you the best.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=550bryan;4169302]
If the claim adjuster declares the car total, can I still ask for a diminished value also?

If the car is totaled no diminished value, you simply receive the value of the car based on the terms of your policy. The insurance company then owns the car and will dispose of it to maximize their return. It's not uncommon in old car circles to find an owner of a totaled car buying it back from the insurance company in order to bring it back to life. The price to buy it back is a negotiated number.

Thank you very much Bryan.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Good luck K. Glad you are okay man.
No matter what happens, I'll help were I can to get that P-Car smile back on your face.

Thank you very much Sam, it was good speaking with you yesterday!

Originally Posted by Bill8411
What's in it for the body shop to "help you" get your car totaled?

What costs, time, and responsibilities are borne by the repair facility only to have your vehicle totaled?

Body/repair shops are not in the business to write high estimates for your benefit.

As a former repair facility owner, you were my worst customer. Unless that engine/trans is toast, your car is repairable.

Just another view for you to consider. I do wish you the best.

Nothings in it for the body shop, its just that the shop I took the car to is a friend of mine who does quality work and ive been taking my cars there for years.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:38 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Just curious if your insurance company declared it totaled.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by longboarder
Just curious if your insurance company declared it totaled.
The inspector called me today and said hes still waiting to hear back from the insurance company also, ill know by either tomorrow or early next week.... he said that the insurance company usually takes longer with cars that have less mileage then the average car... my car only had 10k miles...

Old 08-07-2014, 07:08 PM
haivle is infamous around these parts
hopefully they taking because they're trying to figure out how much to pay u out good luck

Old 08-07-2014, 08:14 PM
4flynlow is infamous around these parts
So sorry for your loss.
I have seen many cars with much worse damage repaired to pristine models. Some much better than before the accident. With such a low mileage car I would not be in such a hurry to see it totaled.
Best of luck!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by haivle
hopefully they taking because they're trying to figure out how much to pay u out good luck

hahah I really hope that was the case.. im hoping to hear back from the insurance company either today or early next week! thank you!

Originally Posted by 4flynlow
So sorry for your loss.
I have seen many cars with much worse damage repaired to pristine models. Some much better than before the accident. With such a low mileage car I would not be in such a hurry to see it totaled.
Best of luck!

yea I think that is one of the main reasons why its taking so long... they said I have way too little mileage for my year... 10k on a 2009...

Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 AM
gonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the roughgonzo__007 is a jewel in the rough
now try to find similar cars on Porsche.com (any P dealer in the US)
you will most likely have to fight a little for the price they give you. so having comparable cars on sales handy can be of a great help. so you can tell them how much you need to buy a similar car like what you had.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did my car get totaled?