997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Just a quick MAF sensor story.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2015 | 04:46 PM
|
djben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond reputedjben has a reputation beyond repute
Just a quick MAF sensor story.

Figured I'd share, cool story below:

CEL light on, checked Durametric codes, showed two of these:

P9610 Air Mass (HFM) ahead of throttle valve - implausible
No signal/communication

Car seemed like it was running a little off, so I figured I'd give cleaning the MAF sensors a shot.

The MAF sensors require special bits to remove. They are bull**** and I don't know why Porsche used them... I guess to prevent someone somehow popping your trunk and stealing your MAF sensors. Anyway, you can get the special bit here:

Amazon.com: OTC 5905 11 Piece Tamper-Resistant TORX Plus Socket Set: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC 5905 11 Piece Tamper-Resistant TORX Plus Socket Set: Automotive

You need 5 star (not the common 6 star!) security torx bits (the ones with the hole in the middle).

You will most likely not find them locally.

DIY from the infamous bbyu here on MAF cleaning:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...gt2-gt2rs.html

So I sprayed the MAF sensors and I guess I was a little too liberal or something -- upon putting them back in my car it would no longer idle more than a few seconds and still threw the code. It was drivable of course, but only because I was manually keeping the revs up with the throttle. Not fun

Called up my local dealer The Collection just to see if they happened to keep MAF sensors in stock and if they weren't going to gouge on pricing for old, commonly available sensors. They wanted $800 for each MAF sensor. If you're new to these, you need two.

Yeeahhhh

You can easily find the right MAF sensors that Porsche OEMs from Bosch for under $200 online. I got mine at 2x$169+$0 shipping here:

http://www.new-part.com/product/pors...997-606-125-00

I put one new MAF sensor in the left side, fired it up and the car was fine.

I replaced the MAF sensor to the right just to be sure I had two of the same MAFs in the car (didn't want the older one showing a slightly different reading and causing a problem) and now have a spare used/good MAF lying around.

That is all. It is 66F out here in Miami Beach, time to go have some fun

Old 01-27-2015 | 06:52 PM
Banned
Al Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to allAl Nunez is a name known to all
Nice to know and a big thumbs up on saving cash! I used to buy parts from the collection, since Joe left, never been there again.

Old 01-27-2015 | 07:53 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Good info...

You are correct on the stupid bit...It is called a Pentalobe if you need to shop for them. Obviously a Tamper Proof/Safely/Security type...Just FYI

DC

Old 01-28-2015 | 06:30 AM
faiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nicefaiz is just really nice
If u had let the original mafs dry properly before reinstalling it very likely would have worked fine

Old 02-02-2015 | 08:03 AM
KC_Michael is infamous around these parts
I had a similar experience with Aristocrat Motors in the Kansas City metro area. They quoted over $900 for a MAF for my 996TT. They told me they had to special order the part and would have it available in a few days. I haven't set foot back in that dealership since. I would never buy anything from them again. Pelican, Sunset, Suncoast, AutohausAZ are all worth a look. P.S. got my MAF for a little under $200 (996TT only needs one MAF).

Last edited by KC_Michael; 02-02-2015 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Added alternatives to local dealer parts department