997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

SamboTT@ByDesign / SRM Intercoolers Installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:24 PM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
SamboTT@ByDesign / SRM Intercoolers Installed!

So it was time to choose some intercoolers. With the wide variety on the market and knowing that I wanted something different from the GT2RS, I sought out Sam's thoughts on different kits. He said "you should try mine!" Knowing that he is a stand-up guy with decent pricing how could I go wrong!

Now this thread isn't to discuss why I didn't go with a different set of intercoolers, just my experience on the ones I did go with.

These are VERY good quality. 4 1/2 inch thick cores, and look at the welding skill. Top notch.
Name:  Intercoolers%20Overview_zpsgasbrusf.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  239.2 KB

Now with the size of these, there will have to be some modifications done to make them fit properly. Installs similar when doing the 3.5" cores on the 996's, you need to trim a bit. I actually completely trimmed both sides of the plastics to completely flat as seen in this photo and believe this would be required since they are thicker. This gets rid of the lip that seats into the stock intercooler all together. (and frees up a decent bit of room)
Name:  Trim1_zpsrlpnfexl.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  144.1 KB

Lastly you will need to trim the top (what I like to call snorkel) down about 3/4th's of an inch. What I did was cut in the middle of the snorkel, and created a sleeve by sliding it inside the other. I test fitted to get the correct size, then put a rivet to hold it in place.

Cutting it.
Name:  shortenscoop1_zpsapi8nvog.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  231.2 KB

"Sleeve" effect created
Name:  shortenscoop2_zpszqxvvwny.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  223.0 KB

Measured and rivets on both sides before cleanup
Name:  finalmock3_zpsivbdmdjv.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  185.7 KB

Almost ready for installation.
Name:  finalmock1_zpsxizzuilr.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  184.1 KB

Here is what they look like installed.
Name:  installed1_zpsfqbvufem.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  179.0 KB

Notice plenty of room to fit hoses.

Name:  clearance1_zpsvkysvrwg.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  188.1 KB

So far the only caveat is the Forge hoses that were included on my set were not the easiest to install. This has nothing to do with intercooler placement as they are spot on, it has to do with the hose length and shape. I hear that possibly there may be a custom set in the works just to make installation a little easier, but Sam would have to chime in on that one.

I haven't been able to do much testing on these yet, but I have seen my fair share of intercoolers and these look very promising.

**UPDATE**

Ran a log tonight. Keep in mind the car is stock other than Intercoolers / Exhaust / 91 Octane Stage 2 Cobb OTS Tune (running 17psi)
Did a 2nd through 4th gear pull to about 140mph, outside temps were about 76degree's.
One thing I noticed was it seemed not only to do pretty well, but the recovery time looked to be decent.
I will try and get a few more logs over the next day or so.

Name:  Capture_zpsaibgt4ao.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  34.0 KB

Last edited by rob.boost; 04-02-2015 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:43 PM
jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !jordonmusser Is a GOD !
Cost?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:34 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !

Old 03-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Great write up Rob thank you. Sean (ITguy) definitely took his time and has set these up really well and just the way I like them. Anyone feel free to PM for some set up and pricing details.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rob.boost

So far the only caveat is the Forge hoses that were included on my set were not the easiest to install. This has nothing to do with intercooler placement as they are spot on, it has to do with the hose length and shape. I hear that possibly there may be a custom set in the works just to make installation a little easier, but Sam would have to chime in on that one.

Just to point out, I had ordered a set of Forge piping for my GT2RS intercoolers about 2 months ago, and there was an issue with length of piping.. seems like a manufacturing issue, we managed to make them fit however not the best of fitments IMO.

Intercoolers look great, and Sam is a stand up guy, would be cool if you can post some logs down the line

Goodluck

Old 04-01-2015, 04:16 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Cheers

Old 04-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
We need a full write up on these! They look like really nice pieces.

What type of core (BELL etc)?
Costing?
Pressure drop, iat, cfm etc?

To the orginal poster have you done a 60-130 before these intercoolers?

As it would be nice to see what the performance difference is before and after.

I like when there is more options out there, as that means more competition = better performing parts and more affordable pricing!!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Last edited by Bobbyfali; 04-02-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:27 PM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
I did not do any before 60-130's, I actually installed exhaust and a tune along with these so it wouldn't really have given a lot of good data.

I do agree though that competition is good, if not even for price but performance and knowledge. I was reaching out to see what else was out there and was lucky enough to come into contact with Sam and this option.

Sorry for the lack of information on the cores or cost, but I would like to let Sam cover all of that so I don't provide any mis-information.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:33 PM
vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !vr6tee Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
We need a full write up on these! They look like really nice pieces.

What type of core (BELL etc)?
Costing?
Pressure drop, iat, cfm etc?

To the orginal poster have you done a 60-130 before these intercoolers?

As it would be nice to see what the performance difference is before and after.

I like when there is more options out there, as that means more competition = better performing parts and more affordable pricing!!

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
When I talked to Sean about them they were cheap.... $1800? The parts I've seen of his look really nice, I'm sure these are good coolers.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:51 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr6tee
When I talked to Sean about them they were cheap.... $1800? The parts I've seen of his look really nice, I'm sure these are good coolers.
Thanks James, we only put out products we run on our own cars, no compromise.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Former Vendor
Most companies will not give all of the information and core details. If you dig deep you will find this. Also not interested in starting another comparison battle LOL. We all know how that went. Remember you can't build these things too differently and get them to even fit. And all comes down to it. I can just say that Sean Builds great products and I stand behind any great product I carry. Some IAT data will come very soon. We just got a few of the sets out there.

Working on some hose solutions with Sean he is on it once again.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 04-02-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:45 PM
I'm in for hoes!

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Working on some hoes solutions with Sean he is on it once again.

Last edited by itguy; 04-02-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Lol!!!

Originally Posted by itguy
i'm in for hoes!

Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Former Vendor
Damn, that's like the third time! At least Siri didn't auto correct and call out anyone's "gayness" instead on "gains".

I fixed it. Only those who caught it in the same day get to laugh.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 04-02-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:21 PM
I quoted what you typed, no escaping it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SamboTT@ByDesign / SRM Intercoolers Installed!