997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

Supporting Mods for Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2015 | 09:19 PM
|
Among is infamous around these parts
Supporting Mods for Tune

Just upgraded from a C4S to a 997.1 Turbo and am loving the car and decision! All of your posts and information were tremendously helpful to me in making my purchase, so first thank you for all the great info shared on here!

One of the main reasons I purchased a Turbo was due to how mod friendly they are. Although I have long term goals for power and modding, I was particularly excited to be able to 'just throw a tune/exhaust on it' immediately and gain a quick 100hp.

I have a Cobb accessport and catless exhaust already here ready to install!

My question comes after doing countless hours of research on 6speed in regard to doing an ECU tune / exhaust upgrade and coming across all of the suggested (possibly required) supporting mods that I am not realizing I may need to do.

I read that the plugs should be replaced at the same time as installing the tune and to move to 1 range colder and gap tighter. Then go on to read that if changing the plugs, I should replace the coils while I'm in there...

I read that the stock clutch will not hold and to change it at the same time as installing tune/exhaust. Then go on to read that if changing clutch, convert to GT2 slave while I'm in there...

I also read a few suggestions for BRV's and upgraded air filter, but maybe not necessary.

Obviously the above jobs are not quick nor inexpensive, and my excitement for a 'quick extra 100hp' is now looking like more work than anticipated and a few weeks and thousand away.

Should I patiently keep this accessport In the box until I complete the above... or am I overthinking this and I should Install the tune and exhaust tomorrow and enjoy the car?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Aaron

Old 04-16-2015 | 09:27 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Aaron,

Feel free to shoot me an email happy to go over it more if it will help.

Let me know!

Mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.Com

Mitch

Old 04-17-2015 | 03:32 AM
Tareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant futureTareq has a brilliant future
Thumbs up

Congrats on the upgrade, great choice!

Install the tune and exhaust ASAP no use of having them lying around, I think you are over thinking it lol.

I would HIGHLY recommend you bolt on aftermarket intercoolers, only after you get used to the power and enjoy the car for awhile.

You can also add a BMC filter which is a 5 minute DIY.

Then down the line add some do88 turbo inlets and call it a day until you go for a bigger turbo set up.

Note: It is much easier to change plugs and coils while the exhaust is out, so might as well do it to save on labor, however I dont think it is a Must at this stage.

Just my thoughts..

Old 04-17-2015 | 04:43 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
It'll depend on wear of your clutch at the moment and torque your current map will push in midrange. We can always create a custom map for you to keep midrange torque in check and get the most top end power you can to make the clutch live. Its not something we'd recommend but as a temporary solution until you decide to change the clutch it might be worthwhile. Then once you get a clutch we'd open it up all the way for you, free of charge as our tune updates are free, and you'd be set.

Dzenno@PTF

Old 04-17-2015 | 04:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say go for it. I ran the stock OEM clutch in a vehicle of mine and knew it was on its way out, but waited until it really made a difference. Ended up blowing it up on the track, but I don't recommend anyone follow my lead haha. Typically, what I would suggest, is see how it holds as the worst that can happen is you start feeling it slip and not holding properly. Then that's when you know it's time to upgrade. If you can afford to wait and do it all at once, that's always a smart move as well. You can check out some clutch kits that we offer here.

Cooling is also an important factor. You can never have too much cooling when upgrading a car so most certainly look into viable options for your vehicle. An upgraded air filter is also a good idea. Something that is performance based and less restrictive will definitely help get more ponies out of your setup.

I'd also highly recommend IPD Plenums. You can read about them here.

Feel free to cruise around our parts catalog and take a look at what other options we offer for your vehicle. If you have any other questions please let me know!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-17-2015 | 04:53 PM
THEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to beholdTHEWHEEL22 is a splendid one to behold
I did exhaust & cobb AP...then intercoolers. I should have done all 3 at ones, but I didn't think I needed the intercoolers. After they went on you can see the IAT's drop a lot. Well worth the money on them.

Old 04-18-2015 | 12:38 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Just do the accessport and load the stage 1 map right now. That is free and only takes 10 min. Your clutch may start slipping in sport mode but probably not.

Then when you are ready with parts/time/money add all the rest of the stuff. Everything you mentioned i would consider important. And if you drop the motor for all of that i would take care of the coolant pipes. It is overwhelming when looking at it the way you did but once all those things are done you should have an easy 100hp and be set/reliable for a while.

Performance wise the only other "easy" thing would be to do 1000cc injectors when you do the rest of the stuff this way you can run e85. It is relatively "cheap" hp and a nice gain. And with accessport you can run 93oct the majority of the time if you want with the option for e85. If you dont swap injectors you shouldnt do e85 with cobb.

To sum all that up...go stage 1 now. Exhaust if you really want now but clutch will probably go.
When you do the clutch DEFINITELY do plugs and coils ... and i would do coolant pipes and gt2 slave but you could get away without those.

Lastly if you have the coin i would do intercoolers and injectors. From what ive read plenums, throttle bodies, and filters/pipes are nice but the tune/exhaust/intercooler/injectors seem like best bang for the buck but im no expert.

Old 04-18-2015 | 03:23 PM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
I'm in the same boat
I did exhaust, plugs and coils
going to do tune
I expect to do clutch soon afterwards.
Then probably intercoolers

Old 04-19-2015 | 08:23 AM
|
Among is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the replies and advice fellas. I received a couple very helpful PM's from vendors as well. I've decided just to do everything at same time. Now just need to schedule the work to be performed asap... If I get impatient enough, I'll install 'stage 1' on the Cobb as recommended.

Gotta say... Every mile listening to this quiet sewing machine sound while the exhaust sits in a box at the office is excruciating! Haha

Old 04-19-2015 | 08:50 AM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
I would say add intercoolers with the tune since your car is a .1. If it was a .2 then you wouldn't have to add the intercoolers with just 80 more hp. Go get champion intercoolers.