997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help! Battery dead, need "EASY" way to fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Help! Battery dead, need "EASY" way to fix

Hi All,
Three weeks ago I went on a business trip for 5 days and forgot to plug in the trickle charger. The day after I got back, I went for an angiogram for what I thought would be just a stent. Well now two weeks later and a triple bypass I am home and the battery on my 997.1 is completely dead. It is at least four weeks before I can drive the car but if I leave the car there with the battery dead it will need replacing and I won't be able to do this myself. Therefore costs will skyrocket since I will need to flatbed my car somewhere.
So I want to charge the battery in place. But!!!

Battery is completely dead. Therefore I cannot open the trunk to get access to the battery. I know that you can connect a 12 volt source to the fuse box and then connect the negative lead to a metal part of the door however the car is in the garage and I cannot open the doors enough.

So I tried a trickle charger for 4 days and it didn't make a difference. Next I bought a male 12V accessory plug and connect the wires to a battery charger. What happened then is that the car horn started to beep, something like 5 quick beeps, pause 5 quick beeps etc. So I disconnected it.

So now what are my options/ It is quite difficult for me at the moment to contort myself to reach the fuse box. What about a 12V 2A power supply connected to the male accessory plug? This will be different than connecting the charger.

I can't push the car out of the drive way. There is my daily driver behind it and it has a flat lol....
The just want my car ready for the day I can drive it, and avoid a new battery if possible.
Any ideas?

Thanks for all the suggestions you may have.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 AM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
I would try hooking up the 12v accessory again and when the horn starts to beep hit the button on the key fob to stop the beeping or try the hood release button to get to the battery.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Hope all is well after your surgery!!

Use the battery method to open the frunk, have that battery swapped, if you can't have someone help you. Open boot with key button.

There is a release cable in the inside jam of passenger door, didn't work for me when I needed it ... Worth a try maybe

Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
The charger should do the trick. You just need to leave it on longer. If after a day, it still will not charge, it is likely your battery is toast. What type of battery is it? Standard lead cell, AGM? If it's AGM, I believe you need a specialized charger to wake up the battery.

Definitely do the fuse box jumper method. It's much easier than removing the driver side front wheel well to get access to the manual release cable.

Have a speedy recovery.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:22 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Hi

I have the exact same situation home, but I cant open the driver door even.

But I am going to try pulling the engine lid release wire out from underneath the left side rear lights.

And then charge the battery through the terminals there.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:12 AM
tomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the roughtomb18 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jako
The charger should do the trick. You just need to leave it on longer. If after a day, it still will not charge, it is likely your battery is toast. What type of battery is it? Standard lead cell, AGM? If it's AGM, I believe you need a specialized charger to wake up the battery.

Definitely do the fuse box jumper method. It's much easier than removing the driver side front wheel well to get access to the manual release cable.

Have a speedy recovery.
Many thanks for all the suggestions: Two things were key: Using the Key FOB instead of the lever and using a stronger charging setting. So here is what was done:
I bought a Male 12V Accessory Plug. I plugged this into the accessory jack in the right footwell.
I connected the charger's positive cable to the + (red) wire on the accessory plug and the chargers negative cable to the - (black) wire on the accessory plug.
This caused the car to start beeping but pressing the FOB did nothing. I then increased the charging rate on the charger to 2 amps. Still nothing. I then increased it to 10 Amps, and all of a sudden everything on the car came on.
I then turned off the alarm with the FOB, then popped the truck with the FOB.

I guess the best way to do this would be to connect an actual car battery to the accessory jack.

Anyways, thanks to all! I can now just go for a spin as soon as I'm cleared by the doctor.
Tom

Old 06-04-2015, 11:25 AM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Hi

But I am going to try pulling the engine lid release wire out from underneath the left side rear lights.

My 997.1 doesn't have terminals in the engine compartment unless you're thinking of getting to the starter?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Hi

What happens when you try to unlock the door with the key manually?

Old 06-04-2015, 02:57 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TimeTomorrow
What happens when you try to unlock the door with the key manually?
Nothing the tumbler free spinns 90degrees in each direction but nothing happens

Old 06-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
That doesn't sound correct. Unless your lock mechanism is broken, you should be able to engage the lock cylinder Unlock the door