997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Time for New Spark Plugs (again...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:10 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
997ttR, you may need to understand your car at a higher level. You have BRV's not Blow off valves unless, you sound like a WRX when shifting.

As you mentioned, if you bought it and own it, it is always better.
You may want to be more specific for the forum to help.

Unfortunately, I have owned 3 tunes, only to find my last few tunes were horrible.

I have the Cobb unit. It works and is flexible. I can log, change tune, and sell the unit when I decide to change.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:00 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 997ttR
Hello Therock88 I am having the same problem on my car (997.1 turbo) I've change the blow off valves twice already the first ones were AP, and the ones I have now are a better brand which I don't remember by heart and still doing it, not as much but still noticeable, I have the Softtronic tune which I believe you have too, what is the recommendation for plugs on our tune.....any advice will be appreciated.
Hi there,

As indicated, you have recirculating valves or BRVs...we do not have blow off vales....ours is a closed system. Just FYI....and I would always avoid anything from AP/Vivid Racing.

On the plugs...recommended for best results, and I have experienced this, is Denso IK22 Iridium plugs gapped down to .021 for best results and longevity. Cannot speak for other tunes, but runs great on Softronic 93 Octane tune....Just had 26 flawless runs in my car at the NO FLY ZONE, and trapped over 163 mph in 1/2 mile, so I am pleased.

Good luck...
DC

Old 10-14-2015, 08:54 AM
997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by therock88
Hi there, As indicated, you have recirculating valves or BRVs...we do not have blow off vales....ours is a closed system. Just FYI....and I would always avoid anything from AP/Vivid Racing. On the plugs...recommended for best results, and I have experienced this, is Denso IK22 Iridium plugs gapped down to .021 for best results and longevity. Cannot speak for other tunes, but runs great on Softronic 93 Octane tune....Just had 26 flawless runs in my car at the NO FLY ZONE, and trapped over 163 mph in 1/2 mile, so I am pleased. Good luck... DC
Thank you for the advise, one more thing....what is the usual turbo boost on our cars because mine is giving me about 15.4 max and the digital boost gauge goes up to 18? Is it the BRVs?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Thank you for the advise, one more thing....what is the usual turbo boost on our cars because mine is giving me about 15.4 max and the digital boost gauge goes up to 18? Is it the BRVs?
Hi,

Could be lots of things. Assuming you have a Sport Chrono Package (most do), it should be reading all the way up the gauge. You may also want to check the actual pressure with a logging tool/device. With my upgrades etc., mine is pegging at 24 PSI +/-

Some things to check, are boost leaks, actuator rods stuck, BRV's, and of course plugs/coils (not for boost, but for your sputtering).

Good luck,
DC

Old 10-14-2015, 04:25 PM
997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light
Hi, Could be lots of things. Assuming you have a Sport Chrono Package (most do), it should be reading all the way up the gauge. You may also want to check the actual pressure with a logging tool/device. With my upgrades etc., mine is pegging at 24 PSI +/- Some things to check, are boost leaks, actuator rods stuck, BRV's, and of course plugs/coils (not for boost, but for your sputtering). Good luck, DC
Do you have the OEM BRVs?

Old 10-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Do you have the OEM BRVs?
I have them on most of the time. I play around a little and have switched to some billet Forge valves. Honestly the OEM's work the same, and unless they are deteriorating, no need to change at all. I happen to have the Forge on now since I had them laying around and figured I wanted to tinker. But same results with OEM...no difference.

Only thing I ever noticed was one set of the Forge BRV's had one side completely seize up (the piston)! If it happens again...they are garbage bound

As mentioned earlier, I would NEVER put AP or anything from Vivid on the car again( I am sure you have seen enough posts here on on Rennlist about that).

Good luck with your issue.
DC

Old 10-14-2015, 06:24 PM
I have them on most of the time. I play around a little and have switched to some billet Forge valves. Honestly the OEM's work the same, and unless they are deteriorating, no need to change at all. I happen to have the Forge on now since I had them laying around and figured I wanted to tinker. But same results with OEM...no difference. Only thing I ever noticed was one set of the Forge BRV's had one side completely seize up (the piston)! If it happens again...they are garbage bound As mentioned earlier, I would NEVER put AP or anything from Vivid on the car again( I am sure you have seen enough posts here on on Rennlist about that). Good luck with your issue. DC
Now that you mention Forge are the ones I have installed at the moment but for some reason turbo boost stops at 15.4, by the way do you know why the forge comes with 2 sets of springs with different color or what's the difference in between the two?

Old 10-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Now that you mention Forge are the ones I have installed at the moment but for some reason turbo boost stops at 15.4, by the way do you know why the forge comes with 2 sets of springs with different color or what's the difference in between the two?
Yes...The two springs are different stiffness. Should say in the documentation, which is which. One is equal to or close to stock response and the other is stiffer.

DC

Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Yes...The two springs are different stiffness. Should say in the documentation, which is which. One is equal to or close to stock response and the other is stiffer. DC
I'll check that, thanks for the advise!

Old 10-15-2015, 08:42 PM
Yes...The two springs are different stiffness. Should say in the documentation, which is which. One is equal to or close to stock response and the other is stiffer. DC
I was reading about the difference in between springs on the Forge Recirculating valves so if you have a remap you should install the yellow springs that comes in a bag aside of each valve box, if not, you should keep the blue ones that already come inside of the valves originally.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Old 10-18-2015, 12:21 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Just spent almost a month going nuts trying to figure out why I was only getting 13-15lbs of boost. Performed several boost leak tests up to 30psi and installed all new clamps thinking I was blowing past the y pipe or plenum. I even thought it was an exhaust leak so I replaced all my exhaust gaskets. I'm sure you know where this is going at this point, yea the stupid aftermarket brv was causing it. I just pulled them out and tested and I finally got full boost again. Moral of the story-Don't trust them. The stock ones work fine.
On a side note when doing a boost leak test try moving the hoses in and out (and side to side) of the IC's. One of mine held fine until I pushed on it and then leaked really bad. So I had to take it out and clean up the sealing surfaces.
Cheers

Old 10-18-2015, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by ctony66
Just spent almost a month going nuts trying to figure out why I was only getting 13-15lbs of boost. Performed several boost leak tests up to 30psi and installed all new clamps thinking I was blowing past the y pipe or plenum. I even thought it was an exhaust leak so I replaced all my exhaust gaskets. I'm sure you know where this is going at this point, yea the stupid aftermarket brv was causing it. I just pulled them out and tested and I finally got full boost again. Moral of the story-Don't trust them. The stock ones work fine.
On a side note when doing a boost leak test try moving the hoses in and out (and side to side) of the IC's. One of mine held fine until I pushed on it and then leaked really bad. So I had to take it out and clean up the sealing surfaces.
Cheers
Good info! Thanks for sharing...I have had mixed results with non - OEM BRV's, and agree stock's work fine for most applications.

DC

Old 10-18-2015, 10:19 PM
997TTMeister is infamous around these parts
Hello Therock88 I am having the same problem on my car (997.1 turbo) I've change the blow off valves twice already the first ones were AP, and the ones I have now are a better brand which I don't remember by heart and still doing it, not as much but still noticeable, I have the Softtronic tune which I believe you have too, what is the recommendation for plugs on our tune.....any advice will be appreciated.
I have a Softronic tune and had problems with plug longevity. The guys at Softronic told me to gap the OEM plugs at 0.024", and I have not had a problem since.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by 997TTMeister
I have a Softronic tune and had problems with plug longevity. The guys at Softronic told me to gap the OEM plugs at 0.024", and I have not had a problem since.
Cool, thanks for sharing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for New Spark Plugs (again...)