997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Time for New Spark Plugs (again...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Time for New Spark Plugs (again...)

My '07 997.1TT is giving me symptoms of bad plugs again. Car has 22,xxx miles on it now. I replaced the original set of plugs around 13k miles. Its only noticeable at Full Throttle/Full Boost, breaks up and stutters little then tries to clear up after. Not too badly, but noticing the slight decline of performance.

Mods:
Evoms 600 hp tune

Big Question, Do I replace with OEM plugs or a different brand that will better mate with my tune/mods, and hopefully get more life out of them.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:17 AM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
I would check with the tuner on the brand, material, and gapping they recommend. That will be your best bet.

Good luck.
DC

Old 09-22-2015, 05:36 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I second therock but also notice that assuming boost/timing/afr's being prob very similar between tunes that oem plugs and coils seems to be a solid choice.

Problem would be if you dont follow your tuner's recommendation could complicate support.

I use oem plugs with ID1000's and E85 as recommended by Mitch@Cobb.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:34 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
Call Evolution and discuss with them. They were very specific about replacing plugs every 10,000 miles with Denso Double Platinum PK20PR-P8 when they did my car several years ago and, generally speaking, favor them across the board.

http://www.evoms.com/EVOMS_GT_EVT_Se.../pk20pr-p8.htm

Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Porsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to beholdPorsche997TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Steamboat
Call Evolution and discuss with them. They were very specific about replacing plugs every 10,000 miles with Denso Double Platinum PK20PR-P8 when they did my car several years ago and, generally speaking, favor them across the board.

http://www.evoms.com/EVOMS_GT_EVT_Se.../pk20pr-p8.htm
Appreciate the link and info. I will give them a call.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:55 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
9K on that tune would be good. I had similar results with my Evoms 580 tune at just over 5K. Granite, my physical conditions may be different due to my location.

Personally, I would change the tune with your plugs. I did this and wouldn't turn back.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by elite1
9K on that tune would be good. I had similar results with my Evoms 580 tune at just over 5K. Granite, my physical conditions may be different due to my location.

Personally, I would change the tune with your plugs. I did this and wouldn't turn back.
Just to see if I understood you correctly. Did you mean Change the plugs that correspond with your Tuner?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:00 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Porsche997TT
Just to see if I understood you correctly. Did you mean Change the plugs that correspond with your Tuner?
I might be wrong, but I think he recommended you to consider switching tune

Old 09-23-2015, 01:30 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
I am running the PK20s as well with great results. I also replaced the coil packs while I was in there as they are prone to crack.

I agree with the above sentiment. If you are running a tune that requires 10k plug changes and actually induces misfire within that amount of mileage, I would look else-where. That's far from SOP.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:22 PM
AriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond reputeAriS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 09-23-2015, 11:44 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Sorry for the confusion guys. Yes, I would change the tune with your plugs.

Regarding the spark plug type, run stock plugs, stock heat range with a modded .025" gap. I have beat my head against the wall on this one trying to figure this out. This is my current setup and it has worked for me. Don't buy the 1.3WHP gain with your choice.

I had the Densos "PK20PRP8" in the past. 1 stage cooler they are but, for what? Why does Porsche use the same temp stage for their GT2? Laziness? A colder plug may only lead to a fouling plug.

Questions,

-Does a spark plug really need 8 different grounds (options) to find its closest ground connection to create a spark at the optimal moment?
-Does the typical plug with a stock, curving "Shielding" negative ground aid as a protection to its own spark ignition?
- last but, not to turn this into an E85 thread but, I run E85, since this gas burns cooler, should I run a hotter plug?

BTW, Porsche997TT, I hope that my questions relate to your original post and help gain ground on some relating questions that you may have.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:54 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by elite1
Questions,

- last but, not to turn this into an E85 thread but, I run E85, since this gas burns cooler, should I run a hotter plug?
NO! Ethanol has lower ignition temperatures than gasoline all things being equal. You want to run a colder plug with high ethanol content fuels to avoid problems.

Dan

Old 09-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Now this was a lot of information thrown at me at once!

What other Tuners are out there for me to switch to, that are good quality tunes. As far as Reliability and Performance is concerned?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by rix
NO! Ethanol has lower ignition temperatures than gasoline all things being equal. You want to run a colder plug with high ethanol content fuels to avoid problems.

Dan
I am running E85 on ID1000's with a custom tune from Cobb, runs great on stock plugs.

The benefits if the Cobb AP are easy to search and read up on.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:34 PM
997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by therock88
I would check with the tuner on the brand, material, and gapping they recommend. That will be your best bet. Good luck. DC
Hello Therock88 I am having the same problem on my car (997.1 turbo) I've change the blow off valves twice already the first ones were AP, and the ones I have now are a better brand which I don't remember by heart and still doing it, not as much but still noticeable, I have the Softtronic tune which I believe you have too, what is the recommendation for plugs on our tune.....any advice will be appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for New Spark Plugs (again...)