997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Blew a Turbo, Whats next?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Elite, I sold some A30's to a gentleman who would work you a deal on his low mileage VTG's. Let me know if I can help to hook you guys up.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
You have my attention. Please let me know Mr. Sambo!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:16 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Pm sent
He's a nice guy. Just let him know you are the gentleman I mentioned. Hopefully it works out nicely for both of you

Old 11-03-2015, 12:03 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Guys,

I realize, that I don't know crap about turbo's. I have spent a lot of time researching my options.

I now need your help on this.

Can someone school me on this for the 997? Turbo Intake Dia? Ext Dia? Bolt ready? Can we just change from a VTG to a 996 turbocharger? What version of Xona fits my stock setup?

Been looking at the Alpha 9 upgrade but, (At 20K) this includes many options I already have. (Cobb, injectors, clutch, exhaust and e85.) For 1K more with Alpha, I will need to spend a 10K on rod installation.
I get that this path never ends but, at what cost for a reliable track setup?

Sounds stupid but, I want to build the biggest HP beast and tune it down to almost nothing.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:07 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by elite1
Guys,

I realize, that I don't know crap about turbo's. I have spent a lot of time researching my options.

I now need your help on this.

Can someone school me on this for the 997? Turbo Intake Dia? Ext Dia? Bolt ready? Can we just change from a VTG to a 996 turbocharger? What version of Xona fits my stock setup?

Been looking at the Alpha 9 upgrade but, (At 20K) this includes many options I already have. (Cobb, injectors, clutch, exhaust and e85.) For 1K more with Alpha, I will need to spend a 10K on rod installation.
I get that this path never ends but, at what cost for a reliable track setup?

Sounds stupid but, I want to build the biggest HP beast and tune it down to almost nothing.
If you want plug and play maybe get yourself GT2 VTG turbochargers. This will get you to about 650bhp and they are more suitable for track use. They have a slightly larger hotside, larger housing and a recirculating valve which other VTGS do not have unless they are GT2 based hybrids. If you stick with VTGS make sure they are GT2 based ones IMO.

With conventional turbos there will be a bit of extra work. Garrett or A 3071 probably the best bet as they spool quick and you can tune them not to berlod your engine with 750bhp and 600lbs of torque - you can get away without an engine build this route but there is a slight risk you can bend your rods if not tuned properly or you have bit of bad luck. You'll need new piping and external wastegates and for track use you will not get as much heat from them so they are better for your usage.

Money no object it would be new rods, 3.8 kit, and Xonas either XR 5756 for circa 900bhp or XR 6564 for circa 1000bhp +. See this thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-upgrade.html

I went the GT2 hybrid route and for me on track the turbo felt like it could do with another 100 bhp.Very quickly you're craving more power.

In your shoes I'd call Todd at Protomotive or speak to any good tuning shop near you. Evolution Motorsports, AWE, TPC Racing , Champion etc there are lots of good shops who know their stuff.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-03-2015, 06:48 AM
Thanks 9e 28

Good information! The safest and easiest route appears to be the GT2 setup for my application.

I'll reach out to some of the mentioned vendors you mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

You should speak to these guys too. https://markskituning.com

Seems like a very honest guy on the forum, knows his onions, and charges fair price. Not connected to him and he has a good rep.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:12 PM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
Id go with A30's, install is pretty easy, get the protomotive line kit and you won't even need to drop the engine. The Alpha turbos also mate to do88 intake pipes.

If you go vtg at some point sooner than later you will be itching for more power.

If you get the Alpha9 kit remember its A28 based, id go with a3071's or 76's as mentioned above. Thats what i did atleast.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:42 PM
jjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant futurejjurroz has a brilliant future
Let me know if you want some stock 997.1tt VTGs. I have a pair of low mileage ones as well.

-Jose

Old 11-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by jjurroz
Let me know if you want some stock 997.1tt VTGs. I have a pair of low mileage ones as well.

-Jose
PM sent

Old 11-03-2015, 04:42 PM
w cole is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gofast
Id go with A30's, install is pretty easy, get the protomotive line kit and you won't even need to drop the engine. The Alpha turbos also mate to do88 intake pipes.

If you go vtg at some point sooner than later you will be itching for more power.

If you get the Alpha9 kit remember its A28 based, id go with a3071's or 76's as mentioned above. Thats what i did atleast.
Don't mean to thread hijack. But like OP I am looking at the alpha 9 kit mainly because its plug and play and I am thinking I get a discount if I buy everything as a package.

I don't know much about aftermarket turbos. Is there a "plug and play" kit that comes with the a30s? Whats the drawback of the A28s? Seems to me like they provide more than enough power if they are using them in 900hp and 1000hp kits?

Old 11-03-2015, 07:25 PM

I missed that one, I have the do88 pipes also.

Do you track your car with this setup without a rod change?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

+1 I have friends who run this set up on track a 3071 without rods on pump gas and they're fine. They run conservative tunes but are still running 700-750 bhp!

Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 PM
Banned
Have a look at this thread. Amir is running a3071 with ES tune

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-results.html

Old 11-03-2015, 08:33 PM
9e28,
I think we are reading the same thread in sequence. Lol

Good info though. What time are most running? I have Cobb and was considering a down tune for track duty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Blew a Turbo, Whats next?