997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.1 Turbo - fun factor and maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Skullbussa is infamous around these parts
997.1 Turbo - fun factor and maintenance?

Former (2x) GT-R owner here. Looking for a car that is daily driverable, engaging behind the wheel, and something that is robust enough that I am not constantly worried about maintenance.

I know 911 maintenance isn't cheap but I also don't want $3000 brake service looming over my head like it was with the Nissan. More importantly, I want an engaging car that is fun to drive (more so than the GT-R) that is easier to live with as a daily driver than the Nissan.

This won't be a weekend-only car. I want to put miles on the car and enjoy it.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Mkhan is infamous around these parts
I've got both the 997TT and the GTR, both great cars but the 997TT is more fun to drive IMO.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:07 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
I have a 997tt as my only car, but i hardly drive it daily as I take the train to work. That being said, its very livable. What parts of the GT-R did you find not reasonable for a daily driver?

you are going to need some mods to really enjoy the car. Stock is tame. A tune and an exhaust should wake it up nicely, and if intercoolers are in the budget they are a nice to have.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Slate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant futureSlate997TT has a brilliant future
Fun stuff are usually high maintenance, no different on the Porsche

Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM
au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !au2bahn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slate997TT
Fun stuff are usually high maintenance, no different on the Porsche
These cars are easily DIYd and parts are mediocre as far as cost. I think parts cost are double the price of BMWs but not as high as a Ferrari which doesn't last as long either

What are the GTRs maintenance cost like ?

Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Skullbussa
Former (2x) GT-R owner here. Looking for a car that is daily driverable, engaging behind the wheel, and something that is robust enough that I am not constantly worried about maintenance.

I know 911 maintenance isn't cheap but I also don't want $3000 brake service looming over my head like it was with the Nissan. More importantly, I want an engaging car that is fun to drive (more so than the GT-R) that is easier to live with as a daily driver than the Nissan.

This won't be a weekend-only car. I want to put miles on the car and enjoy it.
You should check out "My expensive test drive" in the GTR section

It is a reasonable car to maintain with reasonable service intervals. Not like a GTR. The tranny fluid does not need to be changed every 15k miles with $100/qt oil. And right, even pads and rotors aren't as expensive as with a GTR. Tires, a big maintenance item, are $1200 for the best, MPSS. A bargain compared to new 20" runflats or whatever else you want to run on a GTR. Pretty funny, you're getting me started! Check my thread!

It is also just as fast, but much more comfortable. In fairness, a turbo is 50% more money new. I started to think of a GTR as a Lambo with a Nissan badge! Anyway, test drive a turbo and see what you think. I know you're hooked on boost, so a normal 997S won't do.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:33 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
You've come to the right place. I drove a Nissan and it sounded like i was in a tin can. A 911TT is a totally better experience. Maintenance is as you would expect for the privilege of driving one.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:12 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I would not worry about maintenance or reliability, as a well maintained turbo is an excellent car. For me, the bigger question is your inquiry about engaging behind the wheel?

What exactly would fit the bill for you as fun to drive and easier to live with?

For example, something that does not attract attention, can be parked most places, etc.? The turbo fits in well in this regard.

You might consider going with a different model and opt for a GT3. Certainly not as fast as the torque monster turbo but does offer the unique driving experience many seek.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Skullbussa is infamous around these parts
I guess my question is this: is the 911 Turbo fun to drive stock or does it require aftermarket tuning and suspension to make it come alive in your hands?

And for those who care:

My car crusade has lead me through both an '09 and '12 GT-R ownership - and there are so many things I love about the car but some I just can't live with. By the way, the differences between the earlier and later models are so vastly overblown on forums by owners of the later models that it borders on hysteria. I don't want this thread to turn into a GT-R bashing exercise as I think the car is fantastic, it's just that I want a different car now.

So why the 911 Turbo? I am currently in a simple analog N/A car ('15 Mustang GT) and I forgot how much I loved to shift. But I do miss forced induction and the refinement of more expensive cars. I need a back seat for the occasional haul of the 3-year old.

GT3 is frankly out of my price range and doesn't tick the F/I box.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Quadcammer is infamous around these parts
Fun to drive? its a 500bhp 911. Yes its fun.

But...it sounds like a vacuum cleaner in stock form, and there can be some occasional turbo lag if you are in the wrong gear. That said, the car has a great level of grip, superb brakes, giddy levels of thrust, and is generally solid.

Regular maintenance is a piece of cake and not that expensive if you DIY and are wise about selecting parts.

Steel brake full replacement is about $1100 in parts.

I use my car daily and I'd do the following:

tuneable DSC box for the suspension
Tune from UMW or someone who really knows what they're doing (this is rare)
Europipe 1 if you can afford it.

This will give you a very fast car with good handling and a nice, but not overpowering sound.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
The last post sums it up well.

Certainly it is very fun to drive stock. Frankly, I had wanted a 911 Porsche turbo since I started reading car magazines in my youth. When the time was right I jumped on it. The adrenaline from acceleration, the fit n finish and Porsche legacy was everything I desired.

After time, including too many hours spent on here, I found it difficult to leave alone. The exhaust mod came first, then purchased the first available set of LED taillights (these were not available until ~2010), suspension (eibach/techart springs), 997.2 oem turbo II wheels, and then the painted lowers (front aero lip, GT2 side skirts, and new rear apron). I was content after this for 4-5 years.

Mine was not a daily driver, so scraping and normal everyday wear and tear was not an issue, as it will be for anyone who choose otherwise...especially if you lower the vehicle.

Right before my factory warranty expired, I purchased an extended 4-year warranty. I liked the piece of mind. This was a major factor for never adding a tune or more mods. In addition, as much as I thought about more power, I really never had the opportunity to use what was already there.

Depending on your budget, I would opt for a 997.2 version w/aero kit and painted lowers. Painted lowers are a must IMO, simply ads a lot to the look/stance, as it should be from the factory. Plus you get the new LED lights among a host of other nice updates.

Personally, I believe the turbo and PDK are a perfect match. Sure the 6-speed is fun but in these cars I find it easier to enjoy holding on to wheel as everything screams by you. You know this effect having owned two GTR's.

I have since sold my turbo and am now in a new Lambo. I continue to tick cars off the dream list as I can.

Have fun searching...good luck.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Im just saying this and will get somewhat flamed...i bought into the 07-09 engine is bulletproof stuff and got an 07. In fairness i have not had anything go wrong with my car, kow, but i have spent a lot trying to make sure i dont, ie preventative maintenance, and to get the speed to my liking.

If i had to do it again i might have gotten a newer pdk. Like above, i actually think the turbo is better suited to the pdk. I have basically put 20k$ into mine and am just now at the performance i probably would have had with stock turbo s (or tune only). BUT i do get to row my own gears.

Now that being said if you are stuck on a .1 and 6mt then i wouldnt worry about cost vs a gtr. It definitely wont be more. That being said look at the coolant pipe problem and the cam shaft problem as these are two very expensive fixes. 5-10k each ish depending on where you get it done.

Last edited by Yogi911; 11-11-2015 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PSTT07
Right before my factory warranty expired, I purchased an extended 4-year warranty. I liked the piece of mind. This was a major factor for never adding a tune or more mods. In addition, as much as I thought about more power, I really never had the opportunity to use what was already there.
My feelings exactly! As much as I've itched to tune my car, just could never bring myself to deal with headaches that may come up and warranty coverage possibly being denied. Just did an exhaust on mine, and different front lip. With exhaust, 500 hp and 530 lbs of torque is plenty on streets and highways.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:09 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
I had GT-R before my current 997 and I absolutely loved it. A random person came along wanting to buy it out of the blue, for a price I liked, so I sold it. I decided to try out a 997 turbo, and since I hadn't even driven one when I purchased mine, I went the least expensive route and bought an 07...which saved me a good 20 grand over what I was about to spend on a new GT-R

The 911 is more fun to drive around on a daily basis. It's more of an event. The Porsche is a unique car with the engine in the back, and it is a lot more interesting just to put-put around in. The cabin feels larger and more airy, though it may not be too much bigger dimensionally than the GT-R. There's more glass, and less of the bunker feeling that the GT-R imparts.

I can tell you that my car modified the way it is now is much more entertaining than my old E85 powered GT-R, and that is saying A LOT. My GT-R was a cruise missile on the street, and the 911 is just an absolute monster on E85 as well. I pull my E85, stock turbo GT-R buddies easily and just barely lose to a 770 whp bigger turbo GT-R.

The 911 does more with less power since it weighs 400-500 lbs less. Maintenance, tires, and brakes tend to be substantially less than the GT-R as well. There are a couple key areas you have to address with the 997 platform and the Mezger in particular, but once you do that, you have a fairly bulletproof platform. I've had my car for almost two years without issue. Lovely machine. Go for it

Old 11-12-2015, 10:53 AM
FirstStateCamber is infamous around these parts
Great comparison talk guys! I have been debating a 997tt for about 6months now and would love to add one the to stable since I hate racking up the miles on my Supra but I am afraid the stock HP levels wont suffice since I am used to driving on E85 and 700hp, but I would really love a balanced street car with power since the Supra can be a bit of a brute. Time to find one locally to test I guess, and go from there...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo - fun factor and maintenance?