997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Temporary fix for leaking washer fluid from headlight washer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:15 PM
Franc01 has a spectacular aura aboutFranc01 has a spectacular aura about
Temporary fix for leaking washer fluid from headlight washer

Recently, I noticed a leak of washer fluid from underneath the front driver's side bumper. I pulled the bumper cover and saw that the leak was from the T-connector to the headlight washer pump. I thought that one of the hoses off the T had worked its way loose somehow. After securing the connections, I put everything back together. The next day I refilled the washer reservoir and noticed the leak was still there! So I figured that I would eventually pull the bumper cover off and replace that T-connector since it's likely that the seals are gone. I have been driving around for weeks with the annoying low washer fluid warning on the dash because I didn't have the time to pull the wheel off, remove the wheel well liner, and disconnect that hose connection from the washer reservoir which feeds to the headlight washer circuit. That way, I would isolate the lean and could then fix the leak at my leisure. I would at least have a working windshield washer which I use quite often with all of the tree sap/debris around where I park for work.

The reason I'm posting is because I found a much easier way to do this- if you pull out the driver's headlight, you can easily access the hose from the reservoir to the headlight washer circuit. Since the leaks are usually at the pump or the headlight nozzles, this lets you isolate that circuit and block it off so you don't lose washer fluid. I used a Lisle Hose Pincher which is not supposed to damage the hose to block off the flow. It took about 10 minutes to do and I now have a working windshield washing system. Just wanted to pass this along in case you experience this very annoying problem and it will be some time before you have your car down for a seemingly trivial issue.

Obviously, this won't help if you have a leak from the windshield washer pump or the reservoir but if the leak is coming from the front of the driver's front wheel, this is a temporary solution. Attached is a pic of the hose pincher applied behind the headlight.

Cheers,
Franc

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	637
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	434543  
Old 12-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Franc01 has a spectacular aura aboutFranc01 has a spectacular aura about
Here is the hose pincher I used.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	434544  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:02 AM
jayi836 is infamous around these partsjayi836 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the tip since I never use them this may be permanent.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:47 AM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
I had to replace the t fitting on mine and I think I was able to do it from Under the car. the part was cheap.