997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997.2's dont like wheelies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:34 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I have to say Adam, you had a pretty chill attitude about it! +1 so glad it wasn't worse. You'll be back out it just needs to kind of settle in. Can't wait to see what you've got coming up bud.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Former Vendor
proTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond reputeproTUNING Freaks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ecpChris
+1 to all of the above
I have no intentions of doing axles because I would rather break an axle than grenade the pdk.
Then avoid drag racing like the plague. You'll either keep breaking them (very annoying) or run slower ETs than you could as you're launching too soft. There really aren't 15 ways about it. Drag racing is very hard on everything in the driveline, axles, transfer case, clutches and things will/do break. Guys going out there on street tires, lowered, wheel hopping, 6MTs, are doing way more damage than guys with OEM suspension, proper side wall on the tire and launch control that you can adjust.

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 12-15-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:45 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Haha, I hear you on the GT3. The power of my turbo is addictive and I love Driving it tremendously, so I decided to add a GT3 to it. It's simply an astounding car. Amazing. The sound is just sensational. I love both of them to death.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
I attended the same drag event as a few people on the forum last Saturday. A coupe 997.2's and a lot of 991's. Was gearing up for what I thought was going to be a good event since it was a private track rental (more lax on enforcing rules) and DA was lowest it's been in a very long time (negative even at 600 feet altitude) and we had tail winds. Just finished getting plugs and coils and rear 18's with Mickey Thompson ET streets.

Trap prep is usually best early so I skipped the drivers meeting to get in line early. Dropped rear tire pressure on the MT's to 18 and front r888's to low 30's.

Pulled around the water box and got right into the groove left by a larger tire car and it was on. Launch control enabled.

Tree starts going and third yellow foot off the brake and I felt the most violent launch ever on my car which from my vantage point, went skyward for an instant. And that's all it had. Launch was all but a few feet before stopping. I drive back to the pits but the car was making a grinding sound from the rear drivers side and called for a tow back.

Just to illustrate the conditions, I showed up with a couple buddies who got records on their platforms so it was terrific to see them do well. Buddy Ram went high 139's in his F10 M5. My buddy Eric with basically stock GTR just tune, exhaust and e85 fuel system went 138.5 and we were neck and neck on a 60 pull on the way up and I was on pump. We are freezing on the west coast and back east it's sunny and 70. Complete opposites.

I won't speculate but I'm pretty confident I would easily beat my previous ET and trap but oh well these things happen. My buddy with the 138.5 trap GTR went with me to Fontana in August. He trapped 133 and I trapped 134.4. It was hot like 90 deg with a headwind and Fontana is a 1% incline. So who knows.

Found out today it's just s minor item - outer CV joint is broken. Part has been ordered and should be fixed quickly. Thanks to Thomas at Emmanuele Design for the quick diagnosis.

But I think I'm done drag racing for a while. Never something I really cared about but my friends who can't turn like it. Trying to get them out a race track where the real fun is. Speaking of which, been looking at GT3's. Got a ride in a nice track prepped one with GMG last Wednesday and can't get it out of my mind.

I've had a great time with this car. Just maybe getting close to the end of my fun with it.

Cheers.
Glad it's nothing major, FYI l mostly track my car and with the proper tires a gt3 can't keep up with a turbo. In fact there isn't much that can. Then we can bolt on a set of drag radials and beat most dedicated drag cars. These 911 turbos can do it all. Simply amazing cars

Old 12-17-2015, 03:52 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I have to say Adam, you had a pretty chill attitude about it! +1 so glad it wasn't worse. You'll be back out it just needs to kind of settle in. Can't wait to see what you've got coming up bud.
Haha I knew it wasn't anything major. The car still drove all the way down the track. In drag racing this will happen to any car making a lot of torque with a lot of grip on stock axles. Busting an axle is a badge of honor lol. It's going to happen to your stage 4 cars as well eventually if they are at the drag strip with super sticky tires. Luckily it's the axles that go and not the PDK.

By the way the grand total of the fix including labor is less than $1,000.

The biggest bummer was that I was in process of the most brutal launch I've ever had. First one ever on MT's and yeah I was expecting to go deep into the 9's. Oh well....

Originally Posted by Markblackwell
Glad it's nothing major, FYI l mostly track my car and with the proper tires a gt3 can't keep up with a turbo. In fact there isn't much that can. Then we can bolt on a set of drag radials and beat most dedicated drag cars. These 911 turbos can do it all. Simply amazing cars
Thx bro. I've been re-evaluating things. Looking at two new Turbo S cars this weekend (one is white and the other is agate like yours...maybe we will be twins haha). And then turning my M3 into a more dedicated track car. I'm just done taking the Turbo S to the drag strip and the track. I know it's capable but it isn't any more fun than my M3 even though it's faster. My M3 still makes 650 HP and is a bad *** track car. For the Turbo S Airstrip is fine but drag and track are pretty brutal and I proved it last week.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:50 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
Luckily it's the axles that go and not the PDK.
My thoughts exactly. Glad it will work out. Your car has really been testimony to the strength of the PDK.