997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

IPD Y-Pipe Dyno Results before/After

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
IPD Y-Pipe Dyno Results before/After

I reached out to IPD to see if they wanted some additional data on a somewhat high-powered 997tt in regard to their Y-Pipe performance. I purchased the pipe and decided to do some comparative runs to see how it did.

Initial thoughts:

The y-pipe is a beautiful piece. Its significantly heavier than the stock piece, but mates right up to the OEM location without any difficulty.

The sensor sits on top of the ypipe rather than the side of pipe like the factory location, but there is enough slack in the wire to connect the sensor without problems.

The inside of the ypipe has a nice dimpled design, similar to a golf ball, but not as tight. I am sure someone smarter than I can explain the reasoning, but I feel it's probably something to do with aerodynamics and how the air flows through the pipe.

Name:  IMG_0160_zpsmbp8527m.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  646.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0162_zpsi1ufyk5o.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  145.0 KB

The bottom runs labeled 1-2 were the first two runs with stock y-pipe. The top runs 1-3 are the runs post-IPD y-pipe.

My torque value was off from the first run on the stock value, but I'll call it 791 since it's about in line with all the other pulls.

Initial gains showed ~22hp / 5tq from the swap.

This was on the same tank of fuel, same dyno, same day. I did do some driving after the y-pipe was on, but since I am running aftermarket EMS, there really isn't any adaptions to take place like the OEM ecu.

I am also running the 82mm Plenum and TB.

The dyno doesn't load like a mustang or street run would, chances are I may gain a bit more if it were load bearing. Your results may vary!

Run conditions:

Stock - 79.13F / 10% Humidity
IPD - 72.45F / 19% Humidity

Name:  IMG_0163_zpszkj7hb3e.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  227.8 KB

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 11.33.40 AM.png
Views:	192
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	435600  

Last edited by dhahlen; 12-22-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:48 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dhahlen
I reached out to IPD to see if they wanted some additional data on a somewhat high-powered 997tt in regard to their Y-Pipe performance. I purchased the pipe and decided to do some comparative runs to see how it did.

Initial thoughts:

The y-pipe is a beautiful piece. Its significantly heavier than the stock piece, but mates right up to the OEM location without any difficulty.

The sensor sits on top of the ypipe rather than the side of pipe like the factory location, but there is enough slack in the wire to connect the sensor without problems.

The inside of the ypipe has a nice dimpled design, similar to a golf ball, but not as tight. I am sure someone smarter than I can explain the reasoning, but I feel it's probably something to do with aerodynamics and how the air flows through the pipe.

The bottom runs labeled 1-2 were the first two runs with stock y-pipe. The top runs 1-3 are the runs post-IPD y-pipe.

My torque value was off from the first run on the stock value, but I'll call it 791 since it's about in line with all the other pulls.

Initial gains showed ~22hp / 5tq from the swap.

This was on the same tank of fuel, same dyno, same day. I did do some driving after the y-pipe was on, but since I am running aftermarket EMS, there really isn't any adaptions to take place like the OEM ecu.

I am also running the 82mm Plenum and TB.

The dyno doesn't load like a mustang or street run would, chances are I may gain a bit more if it were load bearing. Your results may vary!

That dyno sheet looks like 5 identical runs to me

Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I'll have the dyno files tomorrow and I can overlay the two runs that show the difference.

It's the comparison between the 913 & 935 runs.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	634.7 KB
ID:	435455  
Old 12-20-2015, 10:50 AM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
To me it looks like the +5 hp is really just that green blip that I've circled in red. It doesn't look like there's any real HP gain..

And the torque gain is almost un-noticable,.. but must be from the tiny deviation in the yellow circle.

So "IF" you have a big-hp engine,.. and already have the 82mm throttle body, and the 82mm plenum,....... then this Y-pipe will remove a dip in the mid-range from roughly 4,800 to 5,300 rpm.

Hmmm,... not sure what that's worth dollar-wise,... but it doesn't seem to have hurt your car's performance any,.. and removing that small dip in the mid-range might be nice.

Last edited by Duckstu; 12-20-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:25 AM
The y-pipe adds power in odd spots, not necessarily peak power. This was mentioned to me from someone who's been messing with several 996/997/991 platforms.

Once I get the actual data files, I can overlay the two runs in question and remove that dip.

Is it worth the money? That's up to the individual. It certainly does look nice

Old 12-20-2015, 03:50 PM
kitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud ofkitw has much to be proud of
I'd also be hesitant to call a 3% delta a measurable improvement...

Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
That dyno tho. Holy crap must be such a rush to drive.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
certainly looks like peak HP has improved from between 2 sessions. i would like to see just two files overlayed tho. nice job man and glad your car is running good !

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 12-21-2015, 11:26 AM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
So, you already had the 82mm TB and plenum? And these gains are ONLY with the Y pipe swap?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by prodigymb
certainly looks like peak HP has improved from between 2 sessions. i would like to see just two files overlayed tho. nice job man and glad your car is running good !
Thanks, dude. Sure is fun! Soon to break 1k.

Originally Posted by ThunderRolls
So, you already had the 82mm TB and plenum? And these gains are ONLY with the Y pipe swap?
Yes, y-pipe ONLY

Old 12-22-2015, 10:58 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Pretty amazing at that power level that it doesn't make much difference. The stock Y-pipe is $220ish from Porsche. It does kind of look like that spike at the end (dyno brake?) is the majority of the extra power.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Updated overlay of two runs.

I do not see much of a power difference that the y-pipe can account for.

Run conditions:

Stock - 79.13F / 10% Humidity
IPD - 72.45F / 19% Humidity

Last edited by dhahlen; 12-22-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
It's too bad you can't do area under the curve but I agree virtually no difference.

Are the numbers corrected or uncorrected?

Old 12-22-2015, 01:41 PM
Duckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud ofDuckstu has much to be proud of
I had 2 big-name tuners tell me that the Y-pipe actually lost you hp,... unless you had a 700+ hp engine that already had the throttle-body and plenum.

Most say to stay away from all of those parts on engines under 700 WHP.

A couple people did say that the 74mm plenum from IPD "can" help with spool,.. so I picked up a used one of those to try out next Spring.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Numbers are corrected using STandard. You can see it annotated in top right of graph. Correction is 1.03.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD Y-Pipe Dyno Results before/After