997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just installed new Intercoolers and turbo inlet pipes on 997.1 from DO88

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9e 28
Many thanks - most helpful.
The factory turbo inlet pipe is shockingly bad. Even a stock car would probably benefit from an upgrade.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:47 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
^^^ Hi yes great info from PTF on both these inlet pipes and on another thread the TPC DSC module. Defo on list of things to do. Many thanks!

It is a very odd design by Porsche but I wondered whether they squeeze/pinch the OEM inlet pipes in the middle so as to create more air pressure to the turbos? I'm sold though if you guys have used them and feel they're worthwhile I'm having a pair!
It's a very common thing for manufacturers to use the intake pipes as a way to limit power output. They are also very concerned with sound, and likely do some of the shenanigans with the piping to keep things quiet. The packaging there is also VERY tight, so that may play into it a little as well.

You should see the intake pipe on my CTS-V. It even has a helmholtz resonator tube built in to quiet blower whine!

Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rix
It's a very common thing for manufacturers to use the intake pipes as a way to limit power output. They are also very concerned with sound, and likely do some of the shenanigans with the piping to keep things quiet. The packaging there is also VERY tight, so that may play into it a little as well.

You should see the intake pipe on my CTS-V. It even has a helmholtz resonator tube built in to quiet blower whine!
Interesting and more good info. Could there perhaps be any rubbing issues as I'm running 12 inch rear wheels on fat 325 cup 2 rubber?

Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM
rix
Interesting and more good info. Could there perhaps be any rubbing issues as I'm running 12 inch rear wheels on fat 325 cup 2 rubber?
If it doesn't rub on the inner fender liner you're probably fine. I don't have mine sitting here to look at but I don't recall it protruding any further outside the liner.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:59 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
How much labor/how hard is it to install just the pipes?

Originally Posted by prodigymb
i am curious as to why the intercoolers look painted/coated tho, i always thought that hurt heat transfer.
paint is a terrible idea. These days though, it may be more than paint. A fancy thermal dispersant coating is a solid upgrade on intercoolers. Many companies make them, and I'm not comfortable recommending one over another, but you can find many instances of independent testing finding these coatings useful on intercoolers.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
12 inch rear wheels here and no issues with rubbing. As Rix said, the intake pipes don't even press against the inner fender lining. You'll be fine. They are a very nice upgrade over factory, and are part of why my car made nearly 660 whp on E85.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Thanks for the advice guys just got the inlet pipes ordered through do88.se

Is it worth doing a before and after dyno just for interest?

Never had a dyno session but these guys seem to have got their hands on a super dyno.

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/dyno/information
That would be awesome!

Old 01-14-2016, 01:06 PM
rix
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
That would be awesome!
Yes, a lot of people may find that very useful.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:52 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rix
Yes, a lot of people may find that very useful.

+1 very useful IMI.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:24 AM
LoanShark is infamous around these parts
Hi everyone
I am new on this forum. I am busy making a list of the upgrades that I want to do on my 997.1 TT I have been doing a lot of research on the forums here. My question regarding the DO88 turbo inlet pipes - what is the difference between the DO88 and the other ones on the market example the ones from Evoms ?

Old 01-15-2016, 03:45 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LoanShark
Hi everyone
I am new on this forum. I am busy making a list of the upgrades that I want to do on my 997.1 TT I have been doing a lot of research on the forums here. My question regarding the DO88 turbo inlet pipes - what is the difference between the DO88 and the other ones on the market example the ones from Evoms ?
No difference what so ever. Just the price is different

Only other ones you can get are the Werks 1 carbon pipes or the ES Motor intake kit but you will pay even more.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:53 AM
ahhhh ok - that thought kind of crossed my mind but was not sure - well I am putting that on my upgrade list for sure. Hear good things about upgrading the intake pipes.
Thanks for the info !!!

Old 01-15-2016, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by LoanShark
ahhhh ok - that thought kind of crossed my mind but was not sure - well I am putting that on my upgrade list for sure. Hear good things about upgrading the intake pipes.
Thanks for the info !!!
I think it's a worthwhile upgrade if you are going to use aftermarket turbos at a later date but the cost involved vs the BHP increase is probably negligible IMO.

Let's see if IMI does this dyno test as it will be interesting to see the difference as I have had a set of the Evoms hoses in their boxes sitting here for nearly 3 years.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:05 AM
I agree - will talk to the tuners who are upgrading my car here and ask their opinion and hopefully if there is dyno test results posted - I can show them also.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 AM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
I think it's a worthwhile upgrade if you are going to use aftermarket turbos at a later date but the cost involved vs the BHP increase is probably negligible IMO.

Let's see if IMI does this dyno test as it will be interesting to see the difference as I have had a set of the Evoms hoses in their boxes sitting here for nearly 3 years.
How much labor on the install? engine drop?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just installed new Intercoolers and turbo inlet pipes on 997.1 from DO88