997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just installed new Intercoolers and turbo inlet pipes on 997.1 from DO88

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 09:38 AM
Quadcammer is infamous around these parts
nah, you need to lower the motor a bit and grease up the new hoses, but no removal required.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:15 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
On E85 with the stock turbos I noticed some definite difference. I have the AMS inlet pipes which are even bigger than the do88, but at my power on the stock the stock turbos there probably wasn't a difference.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:34 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9e 28
Big difference in price between EVOMs and Do88.

$1595 for Evoms and I managed to get a deal by buying through tuner $368 in shipping as we are in EU!

Its quite a hike down to Litchfield and back and I'm not in UK at the mo but will try my best.

What do FVD think about them?
There are much closer dynos than Litchfields.

FVD thought they were a waste of time me fitting them.

They adopt the keep the car as stock as possible attitude.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:16 AM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Isn't Litchfields the best/most accurate mate? Interesting re FVD they do know their Porsches.

Tdi at lakeside have a rototest which is a great dyno too. Bolts directly to the hubs.

But for this test any descent dyno will do. You just need a baseline figure and then you just need to see the increase on the run after you fit the pipes.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:16 AM
LoanShark is infamous around these parts
Big difference in price between EVOMs and Do88.

$1595 for Evoms and I managed to get a deal by buying through tuner $368 in shipping as we are in EU!

Its quite a hike down to Litchfield and back and I'm not in UK at the mo but will try my best.

What do FVD think about them?

Hi 9e 28
Please let me know how your car is performing once you put in the inlet pipes. Very curious. I just want to get a few opinions from guys who have put them in than just relying on what tuners have to say about them.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:24 AM
LoanShark is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rix
On E85 with the stock turbos I noticed some definite difference. I have the AMS inlet pipes which are even bigger than the do88, but at my power on the stock the stock turbos there probably wasn't a difference.
I got stock turbos at the moment but I am thinking of putting the inlets in before I do the turbo upgrade. This might sound like a stupid question but did you not feel a difference at all with the way your car was performing before and after the inlet pipes ?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:16 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
I recently installed similar inlets with my clutch swap, I got them through Mike (ProdigyMB), with the exact same setup and fuel dropped my 60-130 from 7.3 to 7.0 ....

Old 01-17-2016, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by TT.BRN
I recently installed similar inlets with my clutch swap, I got them through Mike (ProdigyMB), with the exact same setup and fuel dropped my 60-130 from 7.3 to 7.0 ....
That is a good gain for the pipes but what were the ambient temps?

If it was a colder day when you tested and warmer previously then the test is kind of skewed.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:54 PM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
That is a good gain for the pipes but what were the ambient temps?

If it was a colder day when you tested and warmer previously then the test is kind of skewed.
Valid point, but not so much in my setup as I use meth/water injection, and always make sure IAT's are well within the acceptable range ....

Old 01-17-2016, 06:45 PM
I've just been told my tuner intends to tweak the map after the new inlet pipes are installed so it won't be a like for like comparison. Will still get her dynoed and let you guys know if there is an improvement from a feel perspective. Real test will be whether I can better 202mph at VMAX in April!
Just a suggestion.

Tell Ken to take the car to TDI in Lakeside which is not too far from him to do a before and after run before he tweaks the map. Then do another run once it's tweaked.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by TT.BRN
Valid point, but not so much in my setup as I use meth/water injection, and always make sure IAT's are well within the acceptable range ....

Fair enough and the Meth does help but I guess its one of those things where you just have to try it for yourself and make your own judgment a bit like the IPD stuff. Some people say it works and some people say it does jack.

My logic tells me that one one side of the coin porsche tested the stock pipes and said to themselves these provide the perfect amount of air to feed the stock turbos. But if I were to switch to something like an alpha 3076 then the bigger inlet pipes would shine as the bigger compressor housings would benefit from the extra volume of air provided. OR on the other side of the coin Porsche said to themselves we only need to achieve 480bhp so these stock inlets will do and putting slightly bigger ones will increase the power to a level that is not needed hence fitting these oddly shaped inlet pipes as a restriction. (I Could be totally wrong)

Let's see what happens though

Last edited by GTRNICK; 01-17-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
Fair enough and the Meth does help but I guess its one of those things where you just have to try it for yourself and make your own judgment a bit like the IPD stuff. Some people say it works and some people say it does jack.

My logic tells me that one one side of the coin porsche tested the stock pipes and said to themselves these provide the perfect amount of air to feed the stock turbos. But if I were to switch to something like an alpha 3076 then the bigger inlet pipes would shine as the bigger compressor housings would benefit from the extra volume of air provided. OR on the other side of the coin Porsche said to themselves we only need to achieve 480bhp so these stock inlets will do and putting slightly bigger ones will increase the power to a level that is not needed hence fitting these oddly shaped inlet pipes as a restriction. (I Could be totally wrong)

Let's see what happens though

Makes perfect sense ...

The stock inlets while very restrictive, have a heavy duty design: thick plastic all the way that cannot be bent or collapsed, coupled with the restrictions of the 911 engine bay and turbo location that leaves very little room on the inside for air to move.

Furthermore I dont think they will make much difference in low boost ... I have 2 pump maps 1.3/1.4 bar and I feel a difference in both. On Racefuel and higher boost the difference is very obvious.

Also, since these pipes fit perfect on an alpha housing, perfect for people who don't want a fenderwell intake or want to use MAFs.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:00 AM
oldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to alloldbooster is a name known to all
I got mine through Dzenno from PTF. They are a huge bargain compared to other pipes on the market and I felt a very noticeable difference after installing on my car. Both power and response felt better and I had more room to push in the tune now as they flowed better than stock restrictive pipes.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Quadcammer is infamous around these parts
any additional thoughts on the inlet tubes on a stockish car (just a tune)

Old 01-29-2016, 12:01 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
any additional thoughts on the inlet tubes on a stockish car (just a tune)
Do it when you have your engine out. It's a major pain in the *** to get the stock pipes out when the engine is in the car. It's a 100% necessary mod if you plan on making more power with your car, so do it when convenient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just installed new Intercoolers and turbo inlet pipes on 997.1 from DO88