997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Exhaust cats swap to improve flow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Exhaust cats swap to improve flow?

If I didn't want to replace the exhaust system but wanted to improve the flow of gases. Could you simply swap out the OEM cats, which I believe are in the 700 cell range, to 200 cell?

Would that improve the flow? Sound? Let the turbos spool up faster? Could it be a easy swap? No mods needed?

Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Great question! Unfortunately you can not, the 997T turbo back is all one piece (see photo below) in order to drop the restrictive factory cats you'll need to do a full system. Fabspeed offers a few turbo back solutions for the 997 turbo that sound incredible, make great power, and remove the factory boat anchor exhaust.

Both of the systems that I have listed below are turbo back systems that replace the factory cats with our sport HJS 200 cell's or with catbypass pipes. The Maxflo is our more tame, street exhaust while our supersport x-pipe is our more aggressive track style

Maxflo Performance Exhaust System - Product Link

Supersport 70mm Exhaust System - Product Link

Please feel free to shoot me any questions you might have I would be more than happy to help!

Old 04-14-2016, 12:30 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jako
If I didn't want to replace the exhaust system but wanted to improve the flow of gases. Could you simply swap out the OEM cats, which I believe are in the 700 cell range, to 200 cell?

Would that improve the flow? Sound? Let the turbos spool up faster? Could it be a easy swap? No mods needed?
Get a new exhaust Jako! They are awesome. The sound is so much better...and by better, I mean more sporty/ less sewing machine

You only live once....As far as we know...

Good luck!
DC

Old 09-05-2016, 05:41 AM
Nabulsi911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Great question! Unfortunately you can not, the 997T turbo back is all one piece (see photo below) in order to drop the restrictive factory cats you'll need to do a full system. Fabspeed offers a few turbo back solutions for the 997 turbo that sound incredible, make great power, and remove the factory boat anchor exhaust.

Both of the systems that I have listed below are turbo back systems that replace the factory cats with our sport HJS 200 cell's or with catbypass pipes. The Maxflo is our more tame, street exhaust while our supersport x-pipe is our more aggressive track style

Maxflo Performance Exhaust System - Product Link

Supersport 70mm Exhaust System - Product Link

Please feel free to shoot me any questions you might have I would be more than happy to help!

hello,
is there a way to prevent the check engine light when switching to catless?
(without remapping)

Old 09-05-2016, 12:34 PM
MickeyMouseTT is infamous around these partsMickeyMouseTT is infamous around these parts
New exhaust system is the way to go.. with some high flow cats.. huge improvement. you will love the new sound of your car that should of came with from the factory I went a no cat set up on my 997 turbo with a tune also. Best sound ever, but unfortunately I had to buy new cats to pass emissions and have test pipes laying around as expensive scrap metal.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:59 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
You can try extenders for the rear o2's. I also stuff them with steel wool. I have no cats and it will actually satisfy if I don't drive like a loon. Good enough to pass state emissions.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:24 PM
MickeyMouseTT is infamous around these partsMickeyMouseTT is infamous around these parts
I see you ctony22 and I have the same set up.. Kline and Cobb... nice!! I just didn't like removing and reinstalling all the time to pass emissions, I live in Chicago, for some reason they are making me take emissions again in 8 months.. But i only had this new set up for about 8 month and i might just sell the whole thing and start fresh again on another car.. lol.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Boosty is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ctony66
You can try extenders for the rear o2's. I also stuff them with steel wool. I have no cats and it will actually satisfy if I don't drive like a loon. Good enough to pass state emissions.
Haven't heard this before.... Could you please elaborate?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:25 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MickeyMouseTT
I see you ctony22 and I have the same set up.. Kline and Cobb... nice!! I just didn't like removing and reinstalling all the time to pass emissions, I live in Chicago, for some reason they are making me take emissions again in 8 months.. But i only had this new set up for about 8 month and i might just sell the whole thing and start fresh again on another car.. lol.
I would try the extenders first. I just keep my scanner in the car when my inspection is close and check it now and then. when it goes green I bring it down. It's better than swapping the whole thing like I did the first time. It can take a couple of tries but eventually I get it.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Boosty
Haven't heard this before.... Could you please elaborate?
I use extenders that I bought from sam. They have little honeycomb things in the end of them. Then I pack steel wool in them until you can just blow through them. Not perfect but does keep the light off for a long time if I drive normal. I will get a custom tune soon and hopefully that will help.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
I would go with a full system from BBI, the sound is just toxic

Old 09-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !Marpir821 Is a GOD !
Full system from GMG sounds great as well. I have HJS cats with GMG headers and exhaust.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nabulsi911
hello,
is there a way to prevent the check engine light when switching to catless?
(without remapping)
We offer two different kinds of O2 extenders that were mentions a few posts above me. We offer traditional 2 piece O2 spacers and we also offer CATTED O2 spacers that we have been having really good luck with thus far. I have a few customers with catless cars including Porsche, McLaren and Ferrari models that are running the catted spacers and they are not throwing a CEL light. Every car is a little different but if you want to run catless with no tune to keep it off the spacers with cats is the best option.

Universal O2 Spacers

Universal O2 Spacers with Catalytic Converters