997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

I want to put an end to the tanking value of my 991, is 997.2TTS the answer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM
snaphappy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by longboarder
As an airstrip and track junkie I love the brutal power of the 997.2 TTS, and appreciate some of its characteristics only on the track such as the hydraulic steering. But otherwise as a street car I think the 997.2 TTS leaves a lot to be desired and would much rather have a 991 CS with the sport package (lower with larger 20" wheels).

The 991 platform is absolutely amazing and for the street, as the comfort, handing and electronic steering make driving the car fantastic and the 991 looks so much better than the 997's IMHO...and of course the NA motor/exhaust sounds a lot better too.

As far as depreciation goes, that's just a guess. No one knows particularly since the specifics of the car (mileage/condition) have a lot to do with it. And agree with those saying the 991 Turbos will put downward pressure on the 997.2 Turbo because the 991 Turbo is infinitely better.

Anyway I would test drive the 997.2 TTS if I were you. Good luck.
Can you elaborate on your first paragraph for those of us who haven't owned both a 2S and Turbo? Thanks!

Old 05-09-2016, 05:15 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by snaphappy
Can you elaborate on your first paragraph for those of us who haven't owned both a 2S and Turbo? Thanks!
Well I have never owned a 991 C2. But I currently own both a 997.2 and a 991 TTS. I have driven the 991 C2 so I have some basis to provide 2cents (although that's all my opinion is worth).

I just feel the 991 platform is light-years ahead of the 997 platform. To me, the 997 is very similar to the 996. It's raw and visceral...on the street it's not very comfortable and the hydraulic steering which provides a lot of feedback at the track is annoying on the street. The 991 feels like 2 generations past the 997. It made dramatic changes to the car...longer wheel base, wider track, much better designed suspension together with a softer more comfortable ride. The electric steering is also a huge upgrade for daily driving. It absorbs all the little bumps that got annoying in the 997.2.

People ask why the hell do I have a 997.2 and a 991 TTS. But to me they are so different they feel like they are 10 years apart, not 4. I like them both for different reasons but the 997.2 is now mainly for the track and the 991 is for daily driving.

I just think someone is going to have a hard time going from a 991-anything to a 997.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
997TT are started to appreciate so it's probably a good move.
Seriously? No they're not.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:15 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Evo650
Seriously? No they're not.
There is an entire thread talking about it

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...reciating.html

Old 05-10-2016, 12:23 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
It's raw and visceral...on the street it's not very comfortable and the hydraulic steering which provides a lot of feedback at the track is annoying on the street. The 991 feels like 2 generations past the 997. It made dramatic changes to the car...longer wheel base, wider track, much better designed suspension together with a softer more comfortable ride. The electric steering is also a huge upgrade for daily driving. It absorbs all the little bumps that got annoying in the 997.2.
This paragraph outlines exactly what I like better about the 997. To me the 991 was not a fun car to drive - it was a really nice car but it wasn't a fun car. The 997 rides like it has a purpose, it feels like it isn't trying to walk the line between total comfort and total performance, the 991 felt like it had no identity to me in comparison. It was the beige Camry of the sports car world (again this is my purely subjective opinion).

There can be such a thing as "too refined".

Last edited by Vicelord; 05-10-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM
HP11 is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=longboarder;4513536]

I just feel the 991 platform is light-years ahead of the 997 platform. To me, the 997 is very similar to the 996. It's raw and visceral...on the street it's not very comfortable and the hydraulic steering which provides a lot of feedback at the track is annoying on the street. The 991 feels like 2 generations past the 997. It made dramatic changes to the car...longer wheel base, wider track, much better designed suspension together with a softer more comfortable ride. The electric steering is also a huge upgrade for daily driving. It absorbs all the little bumps that got annoying in the 997.2.

People ask why the hell do I have a 997.2 and a 991 TTS. But to me they are so different they feel like they are 10 years apart, not 4. I like them both for different reasons but the 997.2 is now mainly for the track and the 991 is for daily driving.
QUOTE]

Any other differences? Not trying to hi-jack the OP's thread...but man, I have been wondering why you have two TTSs...now I'm beginning to see why. Just curious if there are other factors that contributed to your buying a second TTS and keeping the 1st. Feel free to PM.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:45 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vicelord
This paragraph outlines exactly what I like better about the 997. To me the 991 was not a fun car to drive - it was a really nice car but it wasn't a fun car. The 997 rides like it has a purpose, it feels like it isn't trying to walk the line between total comfort and total performance, the 991 felt like it had no identity to me in comparison.

There can be such a thing as "too refined".
You know after my test drives of the 991 TTS, I didn't buy it and said the exact same thing. Too refined and not raw/viceral enough to get me excited about it. So instead of buying the 991 and selling the 997.2, I ended up turning the 997.2 into more of a track/airstrip car and buying the 991 TTS for daily driving use which has allowed me to enjoy both in their optimal environment.

After living with both for a while, I think the 991 is by far the better car for daily use and if you said I could only have a 997.2 TTS and or a 991 C2, I'd take the 991 overwhelmingly.

By the way here's I said about my first 991 test drives:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4337365

Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
Well said. At 31 years old I'm not ready to get a 'soft' luxury car, I'm still in the stage of my life where something tough, raw, and wild is appealing to me. Maybe some day down the road I'll trade back down to a 991.2 C2S or whatever, but not until I start finding the 997 too harsh.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 PM
Evo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond reputeEvo650 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
There is an entire thread talking about it

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...reciating.html
A seasonal bump does not mean they're appreciating. Used 991TT prices are dropping like a rock. This will continue to put price pressure on 997TT's.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:53 AM
bondjockey is infamous around these parts
Tips maybe but not the 3 pedals. A 991 pdk and a 997 3 pedal are two different animals.

Old 05-11-2016, 06:59 AM
Mdeniz has a spectacular aura aboutMdeniz has a spectacular aura about
I think OP just wants a turbo car and is trying to find a logical train of thought to get in said turbo car. :-P just do it! lol

997 TT prices are not going to be dropping in the future IMO. Pay attention to 996TT prices, go in ebay right now and find a CLEAN 996TT under $40k and you'll be hard pressed to do so, really clean ones are fetching close to $60k, where as 3 years ago you could get even the cleanest one of them in the mid to high 40s if you looked.

TT Cars don't go by conventional depreciation rules because of scarcity (where as the C2 /C4 cars do). There was roughly around 6500 997 coupe cars ever made, lets say there is 4000 clean title cars left after wrecks/theft. That's a VERY small amount of cars, and that number will continue to drop.

Clean cars, without wrecks will hold their value and eventually appreciate same as clean 996 TT cars, because the supply keeps dropping, and with so few of them out there, demand will always exist. And yes in the immediate future 991 cars will put pressure on top of the market, but eventually it becomes about much more than what the "new model" is selling for. Especially when people are buying them to mod them, or race them.

In short, you will be better off with a TT car in the long haul as it relates to depreciation, not to mention your smiles per gallon

Old 05-11-2016, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Evo650
A seasonal bump does not mean they're appreciating. Used 991TT prices are dropping like a rock. This will continue to put price pressure on 997TT's.
Agreed. These cars depreciate heavily. They will all likely someday end up leveling off like the 996's in the high 30's...with pristine units going for a little more.

I am planning on about $160k of aggregate depreciation between my 997.2 and 991 from 2013 when I got the 997.2 to about 2018 when both leases are up. Hope it's not that much, but that's at least that's what I planned on anyway. I need the tax deductions. But more than that I love these cars.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:30 AM
bondjockey is infamous around these parts
Agreed. These cars depreciate heavily. They will all likely someday end up leveling off like the 996's in the high 30's...with pristine units going for a little more.

I am planning on about $160k of aggregate depreciation between my 997.2 and 991 from 2013 when I got the 997.2 to about 2018 when both leases are up. Hope it's not that much, but that's at least that's what I planned on anyway. I need the tax deductions. But more than that I love these cars.
Please let me know when pristine 3 pedal 997 TT's start selling for a "little above" high 30's. I won't be holding my breath

Old 05-11-2016, 11:35 AM
I disagree that any modern Porsche will ever depreciate the way the 986/996 have, I think the floor on that car's value is lower than you'll ever see again because of the lack of aesthetic quality and perceived lack of overall quality of the car.

Old 05-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by bondjockey
Please let me know when pristine 3 pedal 997 TT's start selling for a "little above" high 30's. I won't be holding my breath
Originally Posted by Vicelord
I disagree that any modern Porsche will ever depreciate the way the 986/996 have, I think the floor on that car's value is lower than you'll ever see again because of the lack of aesthetic quality and perceived lack of overall quality of the car.
The inevitability is in the numbers of units produced. These are incredible cars. But the laws of supply/demand will relegate the 997's and 991's to where the 996 is someday. I hope not since I'm long two of them. But I'm a realist. Good luck if you keep a car with large production volumes and think it won't keep depreciating in the long run.

The air cooled Turbos are a completely different story. Look at production volumes and costs of restoration.

Cheers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I want to put an end to the tanking value of my 991, is 997.2TTS the answer?