997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

My First P-Car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2017 | 07:42 AM
|
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
My First P-Car!

I have been dreaming of this day, since I was 14 years old, 30 years ago. I have been lusting after P-Cars for longer than I can remember; my dreams are now a reality.

I have been in the BMW car scene for 10 years now, hoping that one day I could make the leap to Porsche. I have owned, in order, an E46 330i, E85 135i, E90 328xi, E36 M3, E92 M3, E90 335xi and an F82 M4. I love BMWs but P-cars they are not.

I never wanted a Cayman, Boxster or NA 911. No doubt they are incredible cars but I always said that when I make the jump it will be into a Turbo. My serious search began a little more than 1 year ago. I had the pleasure of driving the PTF 997.1 shop car for several weeks and it was after this experience that made me realize that it was no longer an option to not have one.

My goals were to locate a low mileage 997.1 manual tranny. Because they are so rare here up in Canada, I could not be picky with options and colour choices. Last Saturday evening I was trolling autotrader, as I do every night, looking for my unicorn and I stumbled across a 2007 997.1 turbo manual transmission. The price was listed at $78,079 CDN and I thought it must be a mistake.

I clicked into the link, midnight blue exterior appointed with natural brown leather interior, sports chrono package and many other options. The car has 50,452 km on the clock or 31,349 miles. The previous owner imported it from the US and recently traded it on a Benz. The Benz dealer then called the local Porsche dealer and did a deal to transfer it to them.

I call the sales rep immediately, tell him I am no tire kicker and make an offer on the car immediately. This was just before store closing so he told me he would compile the formal quote and issue it to me in the morning. I did not sleep that night. In the morning I received the quote, some minor back and forth and I sign the deal. Two other offers were placed on the car in the morning but I was first in line!

I am now the proud owner my first Porsche. I pick her up on July 7th. It’s a two hour drive from my house to the dealer, my last drive in my M4 and my first in the Turbo!

I am going to enjoy it stock for the first 30 days. I am then going to work with Dzenno at PTF on making some performance adjustments. I will likely be going down the path of Kline Exhaust, AMS Intercooler package, clutch and Cobb Tune.

Really proud to be a part of this community, I have been lurking here for so long it hurts but now I can hopefully contribute. Pics below:

Last edited by Irishace; 06-30-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-30-2017 | 08:06 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
wow, what a steal!

Old 06-30-2017 | 08:30 AM
|
Irishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud ofIrishace has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
wow, what a steal!
Yea, I was shocked. PPI was done by Porsche of London (Ontario). Its a clean car with no story. This will be the longest 7 days of my car life.

Old 06-30-2017 | 10:06 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
That is a long *** wait!
I am curious - why is it that it takes so long to get the car? I read your post but maybe I missed it if you already explained.
I am way too impatient. Two hours away? I would have driven there first thing in the am.

Congrats man.

Old 06-30-2017 | 10:49 AM
chinboys is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up congrats

I too own the same car in color and interior but fewer miles.

Drive it like they don't see you and if you stole it!

Old 06-30-2017 | 10:55 AM
Ssession is infamous around these parts
Congrats man, I am in a pretty similar boat. I have been in the BMW world for a while and I just made the jump to Porsche. I have been looking for a manual 997.1 turbo for about two years and finally found the perfect one in my hometown of Anchorage Alaska. I'm in WA now so I had a PPI done and bought it sight unseen at 50K. It was the color I wanted (silver) and optioned out with everything I wanted plus more (sport chrono, sport shifter, CF everything, yellow stitching, black leather etc). It has 80K miles which was kind of scary, but was a single owner car from CA with a detailed maint history and the PPI came back as clear except some minor stuff. I flew up to AK a couple weeks ago and put it on a boat to Seattle. Then I drove over to Seattle and drove it back. Was such a stressful but awesome experience and I love to car so far. Its hard not to drive it around with a huge grin on your face when hitting boost. Going to take care of the upkeep stuff first and enjoy it for the summer. Then I will start sourcing parts for upgrades to keep me busy while its in the garage this winter.

Old 06-30-2017 | 11:00 AM
|
Originally Posted by TAILWAG
That is a long *** wait!
I am curious - why is it that it takes so long to get the car? I read your post but maybe I missed it if you already explained.
I am way too impatient. Two hours away? I would have driven there first thing in the am.

Congrats man.
The one issue is the owner only had one key, he lost the second so Porsche is coding a new one and the lead time here in Canada is 3-5 days for a key. I am also away on business for much of next week hence the added delay. First world problems I guess. Thanks for the congrats, I can`t bloody wait!!

Old 06-30-2017 | 11:04 AM
|
Originally Posted by chinboys
I too own the same car in color and interior but fewer miles.

Drive it like they don't see you and if you stole it!
Awesome, I love the colour combo, I totally lucked out. I plan on ripping with it, I am not afraid to beat on my cars.

Originally Posted by Ssession
Congrats man, I am in a pretty similar boat. I have been in the BMW world for a while and I just made the jump to Porsche. I have been looking for a manual 997.1 turbo for about two years and finally found the perfect one in my hometown of Anchorage Alaska. I'm in WA now so I had a PPI done and bought it sight unseen at 50K. It was the color I wanted (silver) and optioned out with everything I wanted plus more (sport chrono, sport shifter, CF everything, yellow stitching, black leather etc). It has 80K miles which was kind of scary, but was a single owner car from CA with a detailed maint history and the PPI came back as clear except some minor stuff. I flew up to AK a couple weeks ago and put it on a boat to Seattle. Then I drove over to Seattle and drove it back. Was such a stressful but awesome experience and I love to car so far. Its hard not to drive it around with a huge grin on your face when hitting boost. Going to take care of the upkeep stuff first and enjoy it for the summer. Then I will start sourcing parts for upgrades to keep me busy while its in the garage this winter.
Hey congrats! I bet that first drive was awesome. Its hard to move on from BMW (aftermarket support is unreal) but once I drove the 997 for an extended period of time I realize how much more of a machine it is compared to my M4. Now I need to get used to the P-Car tax.

Last edited by Irishace; 06-30-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2017 | 11:15 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats. Your choice of exhaust inter coolers and tune are top notch. I doubt that you will be disappointed.

Old 06-30-2017 | 12:01 PM
4LUX is infamous around these parts
Congrats!!! Nice looking car!!!! Trust me you will enjoy it!!!!

Old 06-30-2017 | 01:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by kwiksilver
Congrats. Your choice of exhaust inter coolers and tune are top notch. I doubt that you will be disappointed.
Originally Posted by 4LUX
Congrats!!! Nice looking car!!!! Trust me you will enjoy it!!!!
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words and encouragement.

Old 06-30-2017 | 04:47 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Congrats. It's an exciting feeling.

Old 06-30-2017 | 05:52 PM
Skwerl is infamous around these partsSkwerl is infamous around these parts
I didn't understand the incredulity about the price till I did the USD conversion - wow! Something like $60k USD for that is certainly a bargain. Love the color combo.

Old 06-30-2017 | 06:47 PM
DOOBEE is infamous around these partsDOOBEE is infamous around these parts
Nice buy! I did not see that one for sale and I watch regularly, particularly at Midnight Blue ones. Looks like it has some great interior options too.

I found my MB on sea blue sitting on the Pfaff lot about 6 years ago when I was on my way to the BMW dealer. I took a test drive and went home to think about it even though I had wanted a 911 since I was 5. I bought it the next morning and every drive has been an event ever since.

Old 06-30-2017 | 08:03 PM
Turbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to allTurbo Ron is a name known to all
Beautiful. Congratulations.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.