997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Is there something missing on my MAF sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Is there something missing on my MAF sensor?

Porsche of Hawaii wants $2900 plus tax to replace both MAF sensors. I told them i would try cleaning first and if that doesn't work, get a second opinion on that and other repairs. I just removed the MAF sensor and it looks like it might be missing a piece. First picture shows a resistor between the leads. The second, third picture is my MAF sensor with the missing resistor. The resistor is imprinted on the diagram on the MAF. Is this normal? Or is it actually missing the resistor?

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 12-07-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
I've had the opportunity to clean the MAF and air filter and re-install. Upon my initial drive last night, she is running like a champ. Much more responsive to throttle input, seems like less latency with the gas pedal. And probably slightly more power too.

But going back to the original question. Can anyone confirm is my MAF is normal? Or is it missing that wire.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:19 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
I don't recall seeing a resistor on either of my mafs when I changed them.

$2900?????? omg, for that money I will fly out to Hawaii and change them for you. I bought the parts for a few hundred dollars and changed them myself in very little time. They came with the whole housing but I just changed the actual maf sensors since the original housing looked just fine.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:22 PM
964hans is infamous around these parts
It's the temperature sensor.
I had a look and the Dutch price is about 250 Euro per MAF

Old 12-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Should've included this in the OP. I was NOT about to spend $2900 on MAF's. That's highway robbery. I found Bosch units online for ~$300 each.

But fortunately for me, the sled runs perfectly now after the MAF cleaning.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by 964hans
It's the temperature sensor.
I had a look and the Dutch price is about 250 Euro per MAF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk2jauMwzcU
Thanks for the vid and information

Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Glad it worked out. But man 2900 is outrageous to say the least! Always look to some of us vendors on here we can get new factory MAF's for less than 1/3 that!

Old 12-08-2017, 06:57 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Maf

Just went through the same thing 3 weeks ago. Did what you did. All good now.

Mine me looked like yours with out the wire. Don’t know why.

Enjoy!