997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

CA 91 octane + E85

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 02:07 PM
itzjere is infamous around these parts
I considered octane boosters like Torco and Boostane, but decided to stay away from MMT if it was possible. Since E85 is available locally at the pump, I figure that would be a good first choice before considering additives. Given how much work is was to change the spark plugs the first time, I didn't want to risk fouling my plugs and cats.

Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
Itzjere, You and I appear to have similar thought processes and deductions! Though about just biting the bullet and running e85?? I will if you will......!!!

Old 08-22-2019, 02:23 PM
LOL Full time E85 is actually my long term goal. Already have it in semi-motion with injectors. Motor R&R is delaying the project. If I have the motor out already, I plan on doing coolant pipes and other maintenance items.

Splashing E85 into 91 is the short term solution for my timing.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:56 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by itzjere
LOL Full time E85 is actually my long term goal. Already have it in semi-motion with injectors. Motor R&R is delaying the project. If I have the motor out already, I plan on doing coolant pipes and other maintenance items.

Splashing E85 into 91 is the short term solution for my timing.

That sounds great. Makes sense. I recently did the full motor rebuild ( to clarify- GMG in Santa Ana did the work). At the time, I wasn't thinking e85, race fuel, or methanol. But I've gotten used to the car in its current form and crave more. But the car does run great as is.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by wcarson
That sounds great. Makes sense. I recently did the full motor rebuild ( to clarify- GMG in Santa Ana did the work). At the time, I wasn't thinking e85, race fuel, or methanol. But I've gotten used to the car in its current form and crave more. But the car does run great as is.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Didn't think of GMG as an option. I've been exploring shops that car perform my motor work (local Indy to big shops like BBI). Good experience with GMG?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:28 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
A418t81,
Sounds awesome. How's your day-to-day driveability on e85 with the ID1300's? I'm still contemplating just going e85 and ID 1300's. Also- I'm running GMG 3.5" core intercoolers. I am thinking about upsizing to do88 big-pack or equivalent. Not sure if that will be a hugely noticeable improvement over my current IC's though. I think I saw a prior thread that indicated that you had do88 big-packs.
Drivability is perfect. Zero issues. Occasionally it takes a couple times to crank when cold, but that’s it. I did have the big pack on my 07. The 09 has a bunch of different parts all through the IC tract. I’m going to get the AMS kit this time around just to do something different. Zero issues with the Do88 setup though. They performed extremely well.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:16 AM
A418t81, Thanks for the feedback. Indeed e85 is tempting. I'm looking at the AMS coolers vs. the Do88 big pack. Both appear to be very equivalent.....thus making the choice a bit difficult. I'm running GMG World Challenge intercoolers now which are 3.5 inch cores. So I'm also a bit unclear as to how much benefit I would gain doing with the AMS or Do88's. But I suspect that the 3.5" coolers I'm running now are probably similar to the 997.2 coolers with respect to overall performance. So upsizing to AMS or Do88 may well be worthwhile.

Itzjere, GMG was good. They did my motor rebuilt because they were the shop that originally did all the mods to my car when the prior owner had it- ie, suspension, intercoolers, turbo upgrade, exhaust, tune, etc. They knew the car well and I had it shipped to them to evaluate running issues the car was having after I bought it. In fact, the car died on the freeway as I was driving it down to them! I had it flatbedded back to my house, then shipped it down to GMG. It turned out that my motor needed a full rebuild, so they did it. GMG sent my heads to Aasco for refurbishing (top notch machine work), my cams were sent to John Bray at Evospec for pinning, the turbos where rebuilt and reworked by Pure Turbos in Oceanside, etc. So the work was done to a very high standard. The parts used were all top shelf- Mahle forged 3.8L pistons, Porsche motorsports GT3 oil pump, Carillo rods, EVOMS head studs, etc. GMG even had their race shop machine extra oil galleries in my crank for extra oiling like they do in their race cars. I feel they did a great job and I'm hoping the motor will last a long time. As it is now, I think things are very conservative with respect to the stress on the motor. It's a fully forged build and only running 91 pump! But the car is quite quick as is. It's notably faster than my prior daily driver car, a C6 Z06 with full heads, cam, intake, exhaust and tune. But A418t81's car on e85 will kill my car.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:26 PM
Itzjere, GMG was good. They did my motor rebuilt because they were the shop that originally did all the mods to my car when the prior owner had it- ie, suspension, intercoolers, turbo upgrade, exhaust, tune, etc. They knew the car well and I had it shipped to them to evaluate running issues the car was having after I bought it. In fact, the car died on the freeway as I was driving it down to them! I had it flatbedded back to my house, then shipped it down to GMG. It turned out that my motor needed a full rebuild, so they did it. GMG sent my heads to Aasco for refurbishing (top notch machine work), my cams were sent to John Bray at Evospec for pinning, the turbos where rebuilt and reworked by Pure Turbos in Oceanside, etc. So the work was done to a very high standard. The parts used were all top shelf- Mahle forged 3.8L pistons, Porsche motorsports GT3 oil pump, Carillo rods, EVOMS head studs, etc. GMG even had their race shop machine extra oil galleries in my crank for extra oiling like they do in their race cars. I feel they did a great job and I'm hoping the motor will last a long time. As it is now, I think things are very conservative with respect to the stress on the motor. It's a fully forged build and only running 91 pump! But the car is quite quick as is. It's notably faster than my prior daily driver car, a C6 Z06 with full heads, cam, intake, exhaust and tune. But A418t81's car on e85 will kill my car.
Very nice. Do you know how much WHP you are making with your setup?

Old 08-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Very nice. Do you know how much WHP you are making with your setup?
I haven’t had the car dyno’ed. It was still being broken in when it left GMG- they didn’t want to put it on the dyno until it had some miles on it. My estimate based on 60-100 and 60-130 pulls is that it is making in the range of 575 hp at the tires, and 700 at the crank. In 3D gear, 60-100 is 3.1 seconds, and 4th gear only pull my 60-130 time is 7.25 seconds. I have a racelogic unit, so I know the numbers are accurate. These measurements were done on a flat slope with no decline.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 AM
The results are in. I went to the E85 pump this morning. The handle said it was a minimum of 70% ethanol.

I took a small sample home, and did an ethanol test. It came out to 85%, so I was very happy to see that!

So here is my breakdown of the my fuel mixture. I am assuming E85 has a 100 octane value. I can't seem to find consistent values on the internet. Maybe someone can tell me?

Here are my datalog results. The first graph is 91 only. The second is 91 + E85. The timing has certainly improved, especially below 4000rpm. The mid to redline has improved too, but could still use some cleaning.

So what do you guys think? Add 1 more gallon of E85? Also, any idea what the octane value of E85 is?

Old 08-24-2019, 05:33 PM
The results are in. I went to the E85 pump this morning. The handle said it was a minimum of 70% ethanol.

I took a small sample home, and did an ethanol test. It came out to 85%, so I was very happy to see that!

So here is my breakdown of the my fuel mixture. I am assuming E85 has a 100 octane value. I can't seem to find consistent values on the internet. Maybe someone can tell me?

Here are my datalog results. The first graph is 91 only. The second is 91 + E85. The timing has certainly improved, especially below 4000rpm. The mid to redline has improved too, but could still use some cleaning.

So what do you guys think? Add 1 more gallon of E85? Also, any idea what the octane value of E85 is?

Indeed it looks like things cleaned up on the low range nicely, but there's still certainly timing pull higher up. Hopefully someone else can weigh in. I am assuming that your fuel trims will keep up with higher Ethanol levels like mine do. So 3 gallons should be fine, but maybe someone else will also weigh in. I have always heard that e85 can vary in octane, but to assume around 100 octane. It obviously depends on the octane of the remaining 15% of the E85 mix. I'm hoping the full range will clear up with 3 gallons. Keep us posted.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback wcarson. I did another datalog this morning and see similar results. Once I run this tank down, I will repeat my test but with 3 gallons of E85 to see if the upper range cleans up.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:27 AM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
Copy and paste the datazap link so I can look at the whole log. If you’re still pulling a fair amount of timing with a couple gallons of E, there may be a problem with your car, tune, or both.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by A418t81
Copy and paste the datazap link so I can look at the whole log. If you’re still pulling a fair amount of timing with a couple gallons of E, there may be a problem with your car, tune, or both.
Here are both:

https://datazap.me/u/itzjere/91-e85-2gal?log=0&data=2

https://datazap.me/u/itzjere/91-e85-2gal-0?log=0&data=2

Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 PM
Are all your mods in your sig? Are you sure that you don't have larger VTGs on the car? You are hitting 460 g/s on MAF flow at 18-19 psi and the waste gate duty cycle that is required to do that is very low: mid 30s usually. That took 22 psi and 45- 50%+ duty cycle on the waste gate on my 07 997TT with turbo inlet pipes and the Do88 big pack which made 660 whp on E85 on the factory turbos with 1000cc injectors. Might explain your significant boost overshoot on initial wind-up and why the car doesn't like the amount of timing the tune is trying to run as cylinder filling is more efficient and cylinder pressure is up over what is expected in this file. This is an off the shelf tune? I don't see any branding in the file name of the tune flashed to the car. You're obviously on the factory injectors or the car wouldn't run on this flash. Your injectors are getting close to tapped out with duty cycles of 85% even with the tame boost pressures.

I'm not sure I would drive the car in anger until you get more fueling and a pro-tune for the car. Good news is you may have bigger turbos already, and if you don't, you have an exceptionally well flowing setup

Last edited by A418t81; 08-26-2019 at 02:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CA 91 octane + E85