997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

New 997.1 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2019 | 08:23 PM
|
KT1988 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Welcome to the board and a big congratulations on your gorgeous purchase!

Tuned right these things can handle 700+awhp all day long, as mine has for over 6yrs and I drive it "full" all of the time.(aka no low setting garbage).

If I had to get one package for this platform it would be the AMS Alpha 9 package period! It looks like it was designed from the factory like that and it makes great overall power. It is truly a work of art!

Love your profession BTW, must be nice!

Hope you enjoy our 997.1 T for many years as mine had treated me great for over 6...just rock solid.

Thanks

Bobby Ali
Thanks Bobby. Always had a soft spot for the 911 turbo, and to me the 997 is better looking than the 991, plus Mezger and three pedals it made sense!

Have you had any issues with rods bending etc?

I'll be happy with 600/650whp on E85. Well, at least for a short time.....

Playing with the historic race cars is fun no doubt about it. I'm very lucky to get to do what I do.

Old 09-01-2019 | 10:13 PM
|
For those interested in what the Europipe sounds like at full noise

Old 09-04-2019 | 08:19 AM
jayi836 is infamous around these partsjayi836 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KT1988
For those interested in what the Europipe sounds like at full noise
Congrats on the Turbo!
Just installed an EP-2 and the turbo spool is insane from 2,000-3,500 RPM under light load. Best upgrade ever IMO.

Last edited by jayi836; 09-04-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2019 | 02:18 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats - looks like a great example!

If you are going to run the corn juice, then 630-650 is plenty on HP to the wheels and torque.

I am running E85 and make 635/635 - the car runs extremely well and no complaints. Mine is a 2007.
I have all sorts of modifications. It was originally an EVT750, but converted it to E85 with Protomotive - they are great to work with.

They will tell you not to to over 650/650 so anyone that tells you it is ok to do so, is simply playing with fire. Clutches, gears, rods, etc. will begin to suffer.

650 is plenty on that car.

Old 09-09-2019 | 03:28 PM
Former Vendor
@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all@pkop2JZ is a name known to all
Congrats! The car looks amazing, will be a life changing purchase you most definitely will not regret!

Old 09-11-2019 | 02:50 PM
|
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was away racing in Zandvoort last weekend, whilst I was there I left the car with Pristine Auto Spa in Indianapolis for a 2 step paint correction, clear bra and ceramic coating. Chuffed with the results!

Old 09-11-2019 | 04:30 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Congrats on a beautiful car! I have the same or similar tail (Cargraphic carbon fibre). Looks like you also have the GT2 side sills (I added them to my car too). I'd just suggest changing the orange side markers to the clear Euro-style ones. Unless you happen to like the orange ones, lol. I also changed the gold frunk logo to a silver one.

Old 09-22-2019 | 11:17 AM
|
Quick update....

After some research I reached out to Sam at ByDesign, we decided on the best course of action for the car.

Parts are stock piling right now.... Give it a few weeks and she’ll be back on the road!

68mm VTG turbos
AMS Alpha9 intercooler kit
ByDesign inlet pipes
ID 1300v2 injectors
Cobb tuner and tune for E85
Sachs uprated clutch
Kline 76/70 exhaust
Uprated pullies

The above should make for a formidable street car!

As a result my existing Europipe is exhaust system is up for sale, should anyone be in the market

Old 10-06-2019 | 10:02 PM
|
Big day on the 997, Bilsteins fitted and engine out!

A couple of pictures below that document the process.... Interestingly enough the car appears to already have aftermarket intercoolers on, these will also go up for sale shortly.

Having a lift made everything go go much smoother than anticipated, the biggest headache was a stripped bolt on the power steering tank!

We called it a night at this, new clutch will go In tomorrow, I plan to address the coolant lines while the engine is out more power means more heat so seems silly not to!

Happy that I decided to go with new turbos as it looks like a bit of oil has started to get past the turbo....

Old 10-07-2019 | 09:33 AM
SpencerB is infamous around these parts
What intercoolers were fitted to the car? Might be interested in them if your selling.

Old 12-30-2019 | 11:03 PM
|
Quick update mostly for my own records as much as anything else....

Carbon awesomeness

New Sachs clutch going in

New toy in the workshop, amazing how well it strips dirt and grease!

She’s back together apart from the intercoolers! Should be firing it up tomorrow....
​​​​​​​

Old 12-31-2019 | 06:00 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
We patiently await updates!

Old 01-04-2020 | 11:29 AM
mprssd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by KT1988
Hello!

New to 911 turbo ownership so thought I’d pop a post up and say hello!

I’ve recently picked up an 08 turbo which I’m in love with, the deal with the wife was that if she was to get a new house I got the car, seems fair to me.

The car will mostly be used as a toy, I’m a member at a private race track so it’ll get to stretch it’s legs on a regular basis. The car has had roughly $15k of preventative maintenance done it on the previous owner with receipts to back that up.

Im fortune enough that I have a race shop at my disposal, so next are a few performance mods. I have an existing relationship with AMS, so have been considering their Alpha 9 package. However, I don’t want to a) compromise on drivability, this isn’t going to be a 1/4 mile car, and b) I don’t want the car just to live in the workshop or be continually worried about it throwing a rod!

Are these things really okay with that big of a hp number? I’m thinking 650 at the wheels with around 600 ftlbs of torque would be plenty of the odd evening backroad blast or a few laps at the race track.

I’d welcome any opinions!

Pics attached. She goes in for a full paint correction, ceramic coating and clear bra on Tuesday.

congrats I originally had the deposit on that car in NC. She was very well maintained and you got a great car.

Old 01-06-2020 | 05:45 PM
SBG200 is infamous around these parts
Are you planning on swapping out the water pump? I'm toying with the idea as a preventative measure on my '08 TT and I'm curious if anyone has found one that's manufactured better than stock.

Old 01-08-2020 | 08:22 PM
|
Yes we did all the preventative maintenance on the car we good.

Water pump, belt, clutch and flywheel, welded the water pipes, then silly stuff like the hardware and gaskets.

Sadly had to do some trimming of the rear bodywork, to make the intercoolers fit up properly.

Its on the ground!

Drove the car today on COBB’s base stage 3 tune for the first time, holy ****! Can’t wait to see what Sam from By Design can fiddle with on the tune, car is already an absolute weapon! I haven’t tried it on E85 yet, but I’m excited to see what it will do.

If anyone is interested in the Europipe and intercoolers let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 997.1 owner