997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

997.1 Engine Drop - Big List of To Do's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2019 | 05:22 PM
lorenzep is infamous around these parts
Ed,
Great write-up on rennlist and I'm reading through your pdf on here right now. When you say 38", where are you measuring from? And 38" from the floor, not the HF lift, right? I have the quick Jack too, but not the SUV extenders. I explored this enough that I know I can stack 2x6 blocks in place of the extenders, so I'm pretty sure I can get it high enough. I had to lift the car, lower it onto a couple of 2x10s at all four corners, stack the 2x6s on the quickjack, then lift it again.

I'm going back and forth on whether to do this myself. Looks like I'm back on with some paid local help -a nice guy mechanic that's done it once to his own car. I'm gonna use his parts list and your parts list to get me started. My drip, which has stopped, was passenger side off of the oil-trap looking thing. I figured it was one of the hoses that sharkwerks replaces, but the scope didn't show that. It looks like it's coming from the driver side. It seemed like the puddle was too big to be something that coolant could coagulate and seal, but it stopped leaking mid-summer. The scope also showed a driver side hose that looked a little swollen. Scary swollen. With ~$1500 in parts and another $500 for sharkwerks parts, I think I'm going to try myself with the HF lift.

Peter
Kensington, MD
07 turbo

BiL 'knows' you from the quattroworld usr4 list, mannywdc. I get the photo credit of his sig with the big pig coming down the rollercoaster at vir.

Old 11-01-2019 | 05:54 PM
|
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Measurement is from the floor. Good idea on the 2x6's. I think I had to get it higher since I used an extra 2" of 2x6's that I probably didn't need under the engine on the lift.

If you are half way decent with a wrench, are detail oriented and document carefully you should be fine. You will need manuals and write ups to guide you. You also need a good tool chest. Having your workspace organized and enough room to spread out will also help. It is a rewarding and educational experience. Quite the engine.

Dropping the 997 engine was easier than lifting out the AAN from the UrS6. Doing the coolant work was NOT! I think human circulatory systems are more streamlined.

One guess on the coolant would be a loose glued fitting, you can see where one popped out in my hand in my thread, that one had some crusting around it. My failure was passenger side rubber at the end of a turbo coolant pipe near the elbow. It was also severely bulged.

That is a kick *** shot of the UrS.

Ed

Old 12-19-2020 | 11:26 AM
GaryH is infamous around these parts
Hi Ed, I would like to send you a PM regarding this thread but am unable to do so I guess as I have not posted on here much. Are you able to send me a message which I can then reply to perhaps?

Thank you,
Gary

Old 12-19-2020 | 11:54 AM
|
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Just tried Gary, but got this message:

GaryH has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

You can get me at L L I E J K at A O L (obviously strip out the spaces and a .com)

Ed

Old 12-19-2020 | 03:53 PM
GaryH is infamous around these parts
Cheers Ed, message sent.

Regards,
Gary