997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.

997.1 Engine Drop - Big List of To Do's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2019 | 11:28 AM
|
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
997.1 Engine Drop - Big List of To Do's

For anyone following on the other popular site, I have just completed an almost 3 month journey dropping the 997 engine and addressing all of the known issues with this version of the Mezger.

Tasks that were done:

1. Fix coolant leak (from the location I assumed it was the passenger side plastic elbow – I was wrong) by replacing with Sharkwerks metal elbows – expensive but worth every penny

2. Fix Glued Coolant lines – remove, clean up, re-glue and pin

3. Pin Camshafts – I never want to see the camshaft error unless it’s an actuator

4. Rubber Hoses & O-rings – including the water pump/T-Stat and aux pump, replace every piece of rubber that would be unreachable with the engine in. Little did I know the amount of these items that are on this engine would be so great.

5. Upgrade exhaust to a used Kline system – the previous owner of the exhaust did not run it that long and it looks pristine

6. Upgrade Sway Bars – GMG adjustable (unfortunately these appear to be NLA new). Good second choice is the GT2 (?) rear sway.

7. Upgrade Clutch hydraulics to GT2 – the clutch hydraulics are awful, period. Assisted clutch, why?

8. Sparks/Coils/Fuel Filter – even though seller said sparks had been done, I saw no evidence of this and decided to add this task since the engine was out. Coils were original.

9. Engine and Trans mounts, Cardan flex disk – used the Function First replacements for the engine and the Function First yellow sport inserts for the transmission. FEBI made the flex disk.

10. GT Dipstick upgrade – For whatever reason engineers have decided that sensors that can fail are better than a metal rod. I added my metal rod back.

11. Engine Compartment Fan Fuse – change to 15a

12. Fix Frunk switch – poor design, replaced with metal pin further back and some carving to let the switch rotate

13. Install carpet retainers (or whatever they are called) – Who drives around in a sports car with the floor mat running up under the pedals? Was this an option on these vehicles?

14. Bleed Brakes – I have no idea when this was done. I like stopping so…

I also refreshed the trans, diff, front transaxle fluids and obviously new oil and coolant.

One of the more difficult, but in retrospect simpler, items was a PS pump leak after converting to the GT2 clutch slave. I just confirmed solving that today (I tapped the Festo fitting for the return line on the PS Pump reservoir and cut the smooth bore pipe off the line, replacing both with AN type fittings). I have an appointment next Wednesday for an alignment and inspection so I can finally drive the car for the first time in 9 months.

I have a doc of the process, but it is 2.1 MB larger than what I can post. You can read the doc here:

https://12v.org/urs/1- Engine Drop Porsche 997.pdf

It has been an extremely challenging and rewarding experience. I don't have the disposable income to pay professionals to do this work, and while I knew there issues to be dealt with when I purchased the car, I had planned on dealing with them in the coming winter, but fate would dictate otherwise. One thing I would like to make mention of is the help that the forum community has offered me during this job. While I am wont to post, "This thing is broken how can I fix it?" there were a few significant items that input from people like Kevin at UMW, Doug, Noah and Actbi5 (all on Rennlist - and maybe here as well) helped me overcome.

Hopefully I can pay that forward and help someone else in the future.

If anyone has any questions, I would be glad to answer. The full thread is located here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...f-to-do-s.html

Take care,

Ed

Old 09-04-2019 | 12:21 PM
964hans is infamous around these parts
Hi Ed,

My 997.1, 2008 has almost 112000 miles without any major problems. In January 2020 I retire and start a major preventive maintenance fur sure using your perfect write up!

Regards
Hans

Old 09-04-2019 | 12:27 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Nice writeup Ed. Did you send your camshafts out to be pinned? I put a line-item list together for all those little rubber hoses I replaced when my engine was down...it's available in this forum area if anyone needs.

I like the assisted clutch, lol. I have the GMG springs and sways. Happy with them.

Old 09-04-2019 | 12:31 PM
|
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Nope, did everything on the list myself. Timing the cams was intimidating, but in the end not as bad as I thought, especially with the generosity of my P-Car Service Manager,

Ed

Old 09-04-2019 | 12:40 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Nice! Now where's that "we're not worthy" emoji

Old 09-04-2019 | 03:32 PM
|
I hope it helps Hans. When you get to it, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

I have been to the Netherlands a few times and really enjoyed spending time in Utrecht downing some Duvels in front of the Dom with my friend Michele. I know that is a bit away from where you are, but I may have cruised right by you on my way to some infamous darts competition pub right over the border in Deutschland, though I can't remember the name for the life of me (probably due to my inebriated state!!)

Ed

Old 09-05-2019 | 05:14 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Reminds me of when I dropped my engine at home. Similar deal, bought my car and wanted to make sure everything was 100% so I dropped the engine and replaced everything I thought should be. Been over 800hp on e85 for 20k miles now and it runs like a top. Great platforms with proper maintenance and tweaks to the original design. Nice work Enjoy!

Old 09-05-2019 | 08:16 AM
|
Wow, 800+!. While I am not sure I will ever go that high, I do have a few more items to deal with (rear wing and a suspension creak being two of them), including a tune in the future. It is something I have done on a couple of turbo Audi's I own. I have been told that even going to something mild like 600 would necessitate a stronger clutch, and since the clutch was relatively new, that may have to wait a bit. I am just happy I was able to accomplish the myriad of tasks and eliminate these potential failures.I was impressed with how straightforward the drop was, though the amount of coolant and oil that continued to spew from the engine as I moved threw the work was surprising.Thankfully I used a lot of cardboard under the car and engine as I worked.

Ed

Old 09-09-2019 | 12:13 PM
|
I posted this parts spreadsheet on my original thread, but thought it might be helpful here. I would only use it as a reference.

Ed

Attached Files
Old 09-09-2019 | 03:53 PM
Good stuff! I had a similar list of all the parts/hoses I replaced when my engine is down. What's your spoiler issue? I just finished changing my hydraulics out for the ebwerks fixed wing kit. I will post a review and installation thread soon.

Old 09-09-2019 | 10:18 PM
|
When I purchased the car, it came with the spoiler error. No sign of leakage, so either the cylinders have no fluid or some other issue is causing the failure. I have done nothing to investigate yet.

My first attempt will be to diagnose and fix the hydraulics, barring success there I will look at either fixed or the Rennkit electric options.

Ed

Old 09-10-2019 | 01:07 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
wow, great spreadsheet!

Old 09-10-2019 | 01:35 PM
|
Yep, just be careful using it. I ordered more O rings than I needed and I haven't gone back through to eliminate the doubles. Several were the ones on the turbo oil & coolant pipes where the new pipe included the O ring. Some were just me misreading the KAT.

While I may get back to the spreadsheet in the future, right now I am on project overkill and taking a break. Inspecting and alignment is tomorrow, so that will be the capstone to the project and let me rip around unencumbered to make sure the thing is rock solid.

Ed

Old 09-10-2019 | 03:02 PM
mikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud ofmikestyle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Good stuff! I had a similar list of all the parts/hoses I replaced when my engine is down. What's your spoiler issue? I just finished changing my hydraulics out for the ebwerks fixed wing kit. I will post a review and installation thread soon.

Hi @The Bogg not to steal this thread but in your review can you mention how high the fixed wind sits? Im currently contemplating ebwerks or 4 3/4″ eRam Rennkit. I absolutely love the height of the eRam and apparently the added down-force is great on the track. However I cannot figure out the max height of the ebwerks.

Last edited by mikestyle; 09-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2019 | 05:50 PM
The height is adjustable - I have it set near the low end of the range and the upper wing sits about an inch higher than the stock height in the up position, so there's lots of range available.

BTW, these cars need more downforce on the front rather than the rear. I found the car quite floaty at high speed at Mosport until I added the DSC module to my GMG springs and sways. Now it's solidly planted at high speed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Engine Drop - Big List of To Do's