997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Xona Turbo XR1000 Conversion (ByDesign)- Full Review!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Excellent fueling capacity for just injectors.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:48 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by csc427
I did Todd’s twin disk setup with the gt3 lwfw. I was running the Sachs 2.5. Was making 705/700 before the built motor. It’s def worth giving John bray a call as he was extremely reasonable. I said I’d never pay for a motor build until speaking to him. Also, my rods were a little twisty and so were my brothers. Lol. Cars ran great, so no signs. Lol
Eventually when I build the engine I will absolutely measure how straight the rods are. Curious to see how they did.

E36 M3s use to bend rods when we boosted them. Been many years ago so don't hold me to the number but somewhere around 450whp we would see it. Cars ran fine. We would notice from lower compression numbers.

Last edited by M3 Maestro; 05-24-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:21 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
Eventually when I build the engine I will absolutely measure how straight the rods are. Curious to see how they did.

E36 M3s use to bend rods when we boosted them. Been many years ago so don't hold me to the number but somewhere around 450whp we would see it. Cars ran fine. We would notice from lower compression numbers.
I assume that if the leakdown test is fine that the rods are fine...or at least I hope so! My leakdown test 2 years after putting on the Xonas was fine.

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign

Bogg we have to log her. But to answer regarding boost settings, it has a lot to do with the global approach. Boost vs Timing mainly. We try to find the best frequency to match the hardware, fuel used, climate, desired feel and goals. But on stock motors running pump a little more boost with everything else working around that works better
I will definitely send you logs soon but I think you're going to be happy right where things are in terms of fueling, timing etc... It's v6 and it's great. I don't know how much more you want or are able to extract from the tune tweaking but I'll discuss with you soon enough...

Originally Posted by csc427
oh for sure. I’m trying to take the 140 class at street car takeover roll race events. We had been finishing 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, numerous top 10. I’ll see where this puts me. Be an easy upgrade next season to do the fuel system and xr1000 if I desire. My car makes 775/800 at the wheels with 63.5s. 3.8, stage 1 cams, ipd stuff. Out of fuel and turbo. John/Sam turned it up to 830 ft-lbs but not enough fuel for sams liking.
I guess "easy upgrade" is true compared to a full build! The engine will have to come down again though, but compared to a build cost it's small potatoes.

Originally Posted by pureporsche
Asher - been a while. Hope you're doing well bud

We're just working through a very annoying bugbear where the car stalls (~5% of the time) when coming to a stop from 3rd/or2nd as soon as clutch is depressed. Need to find the cause of that, and finish the recommended break in period for the engine, before we do the final performance tuning on Meth.

-Mike
Hey Mike, doing great. Glad to hear you are back in your car. I remember when I had my 68s and PTF tune there were times that it would stall when coming to a stop. I recall PTF doing something relatively simple in the tune to stop that behavior...I'll take a look in my email logs and see if it is something that might help you...

Old 05-24-2020, 08:34 PM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Mike, looking back through my emails I think it may have been my O2 sensors but I can't find reference to what PTF did in the tune to help with the stalling...I suspect he raised the idle point but perhaps you could reach out to him if you aren't making progress with it...

Old 05-25-2020, 07:47 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Mike, looking back through my emails I think it may have been my O2 sensors but I can't find reference to what PTF did in the tune to help with the stalling...I suspect he raised the idle point but perhaps you could reach out to him if you aren't making progress with it...
Awesome - that's helpful. I'll reach out to him.

Old 05-25-2020, 11:42 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
We're just working through a very annoying bugbear where the car stalls (~5% of the time) when coming to a stop from 3rd/or2nd as soon as clutch is depressed. Need to find the cause of that, and finish the recommended break in period for the engine, before we do the final performance tuning on Meth.
-Mike
I wonder if you have a vacuum leak somewhere that is causing the stalling on throttle lift off when you pressing the clutch. Do you have a LWFW? That may contribute to it just ever so slightly but the main culprit lies elsewhere. I'm using a lightweight RSR crank along with a Cup LWFW, Cup clutch disc, and a Cup pulley all of which drastically reduce the MOI of the engine. Even so, I've never ever had any stalling issues. Good luck getting it sorted.

Regarding break in, I think that gets way overblown. Every built motor I've had has gone thought a full warm up cycle after initial start up and then gone straight on the Dyno for full power checks and tuning runs. After that, it was straight to the track. On every motor I've had has almost zero oil consumption and never any smoking on start up. Porsche Motorsport uses the same procedure. My last 3.8 showed virtually zero wear after a full tear down at the 100hr rebuild interval. Gentle brake ins do more harm than good in my opinion.. YMMV

Old 05-26-2020, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound

Regarding break in, I think that gets way overblown. Every built motor I've had has gone thought a full warm up cycle after initial start up and then gone straight on the Dyno for full power checks and tuning runs. After that, it was straight to the track. On every motor I've had has almost zero oil consumption and never any smoking on start up. Porsche Motorsport uses the same procedure. My last 3.8 showed virtually zero wear after a full tear down at the 100hr rebuild interval. Gentle brake ins do more harm than good in my opinion.. YMMV
I agree with a lot of what you said and have experienced it at both Motorsport and OEM levels. Blanket statements like break in should be run in xyz method are incorrect, they should be tied to surface finishes needing x time for run in. In particular the cylinder wall finish should be driving your break in method. Most good builders will leave the walls at a state that if you load up the engine it will break in in minutes. There are many other inputs here, my statement is very high level (piston design, methods of bore/hone, piston ring coating/finish, multiple inputs) I have been in dyno sessions where we see blow by go away in a few minutes of running thus signaling its "broken in". My advice is work with your builders and see what they want to do. They are also tied to the piston ring manufacturer and what finish they want to see etc etc.

Another key here is early and multiple oil changes to keep the engine clean. There is always some level of debris in there no matter how careful you are.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:15 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I agree. That said we run a few heat cycles and change the just to make sure all is well. 10 miles. Even still I chuckled when Bray drove straight to the dyno after that and we sent it. Been doing the same.
Cervelli does the same. Crank up, warm up, dyno, drive it like you stole it.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Cervelli does the same. Crank up, warm up, dyno, drive it like you stole it.
I see a lot of us have done this ROFL I will say, again, there are situations where slow is better, all depends how it was set up and parts used. As you guys know...this is not black magic, the art is knowing what your setup calls for.

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day Weekend

Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
in case you guys want to see where you stack up in the quarter mile, here's the top quickest list that I update and manage for manual 997 Turbos. Timeslips preferred, Dragy and Vbox also accepted but lose a tie breaker vs a real timeslip:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Old 06-12-2020, 10:03 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
Quick Update- I've been driving the car nearly daily for the past weeks. It's just awesome. I will say it's not quite as refined as before- it's louder and just "rowdier" feeling. That's to be expected I think. The turbos are much more free flowing and thus the exhaust is a bit more noisy...... not in a bad way in my opinion. I'm still running cats, so it's not obnoxious or anything. Obviously the BOV's are also pretty noisy. It's just such a rush to drive now. I don't go around driving like a moron so I'm not driving it anywhere near it's capability, but I do like let it rip on empty stretches of freeways and on-ramps. And it feels awesome driving around knowing that you have the Hammer of Thor at your disposal at the drop of the right foot. This car demands more responsibility and maturity than any car I've owned. I've owned a few pretty built up machines in my past.

As an aside, I didn't touch the suspension or brakes when Sam (ByDesign) did the Xonas. I'm still running a pretty superb combination of GMG springs, GMG sway bars, and DSC module, and Stoptech big brake upgrade. The car is very well balanced in all respects.

All around, I am very very happy with the decision to go the Xona route. It's not for everyone, as the car has taken on a more visceral and less refined nature. It's certainly more of a handful now. And that is compared to my old set up of the EVOMS tune, AMS IC's, 68mm VTG's, full GMG exhaust, etc. Compared to stock, I'm sure that there's not much comparison. It's now the full embodiment of modern version of my old hot-rodded 930 Turbo. For me, it's truly driving nirvana. Keep in mind, this is my daily driver. I don't track it or take it to runway events. I drive it to work and back home most days..... aside from seeing my family on a daily basis, the best part of my day is getting into the cockpit and driving this beast.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:06 AM
supra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant futuresupra.z06 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by wcarson
Quick Update- I've been driving the car nearly daily for the past weeks. It's just awesome. I will say it's not quite as refined as before- it's louder and just "rowdier" feeling. That's to be expected I think. The turbos are much more free flowing and thus the exhaust is a bit more noisy...... not in a bad way in my opinion. I'm still running cats, so it's not obnoxious or anything. Obviously the BOV's are also pretty noisy. It's just such a rush to drive now. I don't go around driving like a moron so I'm not driving it anywhere near it's capability, but I do like let it rip on empty stretches of freeways and on-ramps. And it feels awesome driving around knowing that you have the Hammer of Thor at your disposal at the drop of the right foot. This car demands more responsibility and maturity than any car I've owned. I've owned a few pretty built up machines in my past.

As an aside, I didn't touch the suspension or brakes when Sam (ByDesign) did the Xonas. I'm still running a pretty superb combination of GMG springs, GMG sway bars, and DSC module, and Stoptech big brake upgrade. The car is very well balanced in all respects.

All around, I am very very happy with the decision to go the Xona route. It's not for everyone, as the car has taken on a more visceral and less refined nature. It's certainly more of a handful now. And that is compared to my old set up of the EVOMS tune, AMS IC's, 68mm VTG's, full GMG exhaust, etc. Compared to stock, I'm sure that there's not much comparison. It's now the full embodiment of modern version of my old hot-rodded 930 Turbo. For me, it's truly driving nirvana. Keep in mind, this is my daily driver. I don't track it or take it to runway events. I drive it to work and back home most days..... aside from seeing my family on a daily basis, the best part of my day is getting into the cockpit and driving this beast.
any videos?

Old 06-13-2020, 12:25 PM
wcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura aboutwcarson has a spectacular aura about
No videos yet.... I should take some and post them.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by wcarson

Hammer of Thor, lol, I love it. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I have the GMG springs and sways and DSC module too, great combo. How do you like the stoptechs? Any issues compared to stock? My car sometimes squeals like a jalopy and I've blamed brake dust for a while but my shop confirmed that the pads are worn...

Old 06-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by The Bogg
Hammer of Thor, lol, I love it. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

I have the GMG springs and sways and DSC module too, great combo. How do you like the stoptechs? Any issues compared to stock? My car sometimes squeals like a jalopy and I've blamed brake dust for a while but my shop confirmed that the pads are worn...

I can't compared by Stoptech brakes with the stock brakes since I bought the car with the Stoptech BBK already installed......but the Stoptechs are awesome and really work well. The dust is moderate- I am using Stoptech pads. No squealing or noises.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Xona Turbo XR1000 Conversion (ByDesign)- Full Review!