997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

MT tests 997tt: 0-60 @ 3.2 & 1/4 @ 11.4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 01:49 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SCvet00
the ET and 0-60 are amazing, but I think we can all agree that some of that is due to the awd system. Trap speeds of 121 don't even match the SRT-10, never mind a C6 Z06.

I would like to see more tests done for this car. But, if the car traps 120-122 consistently, it will not be a match for a C6 Z06 given that both cars get full traction, in other words, from a roll.

jmo
Right on!! Line up a 121 mph trap car (997 TT) with a 127 mph trap car (C6 Z06) from a 50-160 and watch what happens, nevermind lining it up with a CGT or an Enzo which both trap over 130.

btw, Ruiner, "Ranger" has driven his C6 Z06 to a 11.3@127 in bone stock trim on the stock runflats, and there is another guy that just posted a 10.9@130 with headers, cai, thermostat and a tune on stock tires.
OMFG thankyou, someone gets what i was trying to say and pointing out. The AWD ability to get off the line and to produce those times, but the trap from a roll i didnt think would be like a Z06, oh well!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:06 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by iLLM3
OMFG thankyou, someone gets what i was trying to say and pointing out. The AWD ability to get off the line and to produce those times, but the trap from a roll i didnt think would be like a Z06, oh well!
Im gonna go with the 997tt from a roll. I think the 997tt manual will probably trap a couple miles and hour hire and run .1-.2 slower. 127, the avg z06 runs 124-125. Not that much of a difference from 121. 2-3 is almost negligable IMO. I still go back to the point that the 997tt has shorter gears which typically mean that the 1/4 trap speeds are lower due to on more shift into 4th. Not to mention the AWD takes away a solid 2-3. I cant wait to see the manual test because im not a tip knda guy. I like my interation with the clutch, shifter, etc. When it all comes down to it at the end of the day the 911 is far superior. It gives you the best of all worlds. Great quality which cannot even be closely matched by chevy (how does a roof fall off. not even the boxster which only costs about 60k after options has had any problems. prob why porsche is always the tops in german dependability every year) Plus the 997tt give you the speed, handling and luxury you would expect from what was voted the most prestigous sports car recently (saw it on leftlanenews). 997tt froma roll def!

Old 04-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Yet you never quoted me....

I agree, however. I had a feeling that the new 997TT would be slower than the 2nd gen 996 GT2 (and so far, it appears that I am correct). That car traps in the 122mph area give or take. Even the 996 GT2 is not enough to overtake the C6 Z06...

Now, were these tests by MT done with the sport chrono or not? If not, there is some hope...if so, then the non-sport chrono's traps would be slightly worse.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:26 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ruiner
Yet you never quoted me....

I agree, however. I had a feeling that the new 997TT would be slower than the 2nd gen 996 GT2 (and so far, it appears that I am correct). That car traps in the 122mph area give or take. Even the 996 GT2 is not enough to overtake the C6 Z06...

Now, were these tests by MT done with the sport chrono or not? If not, there is some hope...if so, then the non-sport chrono's traps would be slightly worse.
LOL yes i did, weird i guess i didnt hit the cntrl+c hard enough.. You and SCvet were right, sorry about that, i agreed with both of you

Old 04-28-2006, 03:41 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Im gonna go with the 997tt from a roll. I think the 997tt manual will probably trap a couple miles and hour hire and run .1-.2 slower. 127, the avg z06 runs 124-125. Not that much of a difference from 121.
Ya, you are right. There is hardly any difference from a 121 mph trap car and a 125 mph trap car..

Old 04-28-2006, 06:27 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
Right on!! Line up a 121 mph trap car (997 TT) with a 127 mph trap car (C6 Z06) from a 50-160 and watch what happens, nevermind lining it up with a CGT or an Enzo which both trap over 130.

btw, Ruiner, "Ranger" has driven his C6 Z06 to a 11.3@127 in bone stock trim on the stock runflats, and there is another guy that just posted a 10.9@130 with headers, cai, thermostat and a tune on stock tires.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I will say it one more time...AT LEAST THE ROOF DIDN'T FLY OFF OF THE 997TT

in all seriousness, I was pretty sure the turbo would not be able ot match the Z06 in the straight line, but would come close. The power to weight ratio was what had me certain it would be hard for the 997TT to win the stop light race, but again you pay for what you get. There are tons of 10 sec cars running around that cost a fraction of what a 997TT costs. The Z06 is a monster in its own right, but it is a GM car(i own one so I am entitled to say this). They do not take the care that porsche does when putting it together. This was proved when the damn roof flew off and they had issues with the brakes rotors being funny(two right or two left rotors up front on some of the earlier ones I think). Bottom line is, you are paying for a car that is built by porsche, it will last much much longer when you track it over several years.

A good example is with the T1 Z06s and the T1 GT3s. I looked into both cars and went to a very reputable shop in the area to get an idea of cost etc. Yes it would have been cheaper to buy a C5 Z06 and convert it to T1, however, the cost per season to run the Z06 was FAR FAR more because you will more than likely end up going through a couple motors. The motors are not expensive, but the shop owner runs a T1 GT3 and has not had to replace the motor, lasts much longer on brakes, had to do far less suspension work(actually at first SCCA did not even allow much of a suspension upgrade on the GT3). He said that I would end up saving money by the time I ran a couple seaons in a GT3.

I guess what I am trying to say is...in the end you are comparing a car maker who has made its place in the car world by building sports cars and winning racing championships with one that is known for building pickup trucks(again I own a GM truck, so I can say this). They make great trucks, but I can not say the same for their cars.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Can't wait to see the new 0-100-0 test. THey haven't done that in a while.

Last time it was 996TT X50 vs. a Viper SRT10, maybe this time it will be a 997TT vs. a z06

Old 04-28-2006, 07:52 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Porscheboy16
Can't wait to see the new 0-100-0 test. THey haven't done that in a while.

Last time it was 996TT X50 vs. a Viper SRT10, maybe this time it will be a 997TT vs. a z06

I should hope so !

Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
I for one cant wait to see head to head road test from all the auto magazine's including Road and Track, Car and Driver and I presume they have the Z06 as
their number one choice. Not that it matters to me what they say about either car anyways, but they always like the Detroit muscle due to their in-expensive cost versus the European cars high cost etc. Whatever.....
Drive what you like and if a Z06 makes your cookie crumble munch away.
A Porsche will always be a Porsche regardless of what 0-60, 0-100, it does on paper, something about owning one that you just cant put a price tag on, as I am sure guys with unlimited expense accounts that drive a CGT, Enzo, or the like can affirm. Its not always about the bling, sometimes its just one thing (patent pending).

Bajo

Old 04-28-2006, 09:01 PM
mclaren55 is infamous around these parts
I rather spend the money on the Porsche, if not for any other reason then its roof will actually staying on, opposed to the new C6 vette's ejecting them at will.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:05 PM
TurboR850 is infamous around these parts
so are these times actually confirmed ?

from 1/4 mile, looks like it would be just driver matched vs Z06

but from a roll, 120.5 vs. 125-127 looks like a Z06 would edge out ahead . .

Old 04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
3.2s 0-60 and 11.4 quarter seem extremely optimistic. I bet the other mags dont end up testing as fast. Remember the 11.9s quarter MT extracted from a 993 TT that no one else could match?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by BBGT2
I for one cant wait to see head to head road test from all the auto magazine's including Road and Track, Car and Driver and I presume they have the Z06 as
their number one choice. Not that it matters to me what they say about either car anyways, but they always like the Detroit muscle due to their in-expensive cost versus the European cars high cost etc. Whatever.....
Drive what you like and if a Z06 makes your cookie crumble munch away.
A Porsche will always be a Porsche regardless of what 0-60, 0-100, it does on paper, something about owning one that you just cant put a price tag on, as I am sure guys with unlimited expense accounts that drive a CGT, Enzo, or the like can affirm. Its not always about the bling, sometimes its just one thing (patent pending).

Bajo
Very true, although i will say, if the Z06 and 997TT are chosen to go head to head, i have a sick feeling the turbo will toast the Z06 in acceleration up ot 100 and maybe even 1/4 mile numbers. Yes the Z06's are fast, but in mag test's they arent as impressive as some of the guys out there who own them who are pulling these times, oh well, we just have to wait and see ig uess

Old 04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
SRW
SRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond repute
A twin-clutch gearbox is in the works, but don't expect to see it any time soon.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3439

Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Very true, although i will say, if the Z06 and 997TT are chosen to go head to head, i have a sick feeling the turbo will toast the Z06 in acceleration up ot 100 and maybe even 1/4 mile numbers. Yes the Z06's are fast, but in mag test's they arent as impressive as some of the guys out there who own them who are pulling these times, oh well, we just have to wait and see ig uess
I was just wondering is this issue of MT is out yet bc i cant seem to find it yet. I agree with you about 0-100, but i think its gonne be faster 0-120 and possibly 0-130. So what the trap speed isnt as high, but we still havnt seen anything on paper yet, at least i kno i havnt and prob most of us havnt. Still a far superior car no matter what.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MT tests 997tt: 0-60 @ 3.2 & 1/4 @ 11.4