997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just beat a 997tt on the autobahn during 190mph duel.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:36 PM
AdamT has a spectacular aura aboutAdamT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eshaun
great story...wow 190mph in a 16yr old 911, just awesome, I backed off at 150 in a 2yr old 911 lol

Its even scarier at redline in 6th...211mph

all the best
adam

Old 05-17-2006, 02:47 PM
PRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AdamT
Oh yes, this was very very interesting.

Last night Lisa and I were coming back from a weekend at the Nurburgring with RMA. She was in the R turbo, and i was following in the CTR. Late last night, about 11:30pm. Just after stuttgart the autobahn becomes very wide and very fast. Completely derestricted. So we are doing around 160kmh due to traffic in the fast lane. when i look in my rear view mirror and see Xenons about 500m away, closing in on the little yellowbird very very quickly. Hmmm so as it approaches i pull in, and it blasts past. And i see that it is indeed a 997tt.

Initial impressions: it sits on the road very well. Looks good, however it wasnt quite an event. Hard to describe, i didnt like where the exhausts sat in the middle of the bumper either. But overall impressed.

So back to the story: I pull back out and follow him, he has now braked really really late and is about 2 foot from the pert red rump of the r turbo. Traffic infront of the r turbo clears and lisa gently accelerates away, the 997tt stays there and flashes her to move over. She does, he just absolutely blasts off, but i was ready.

I had turned boost up to full, (i had been driving home on low boost) so full 1.2bar, and i had shifted down to fifth. When he went he was approx. 8 car lengths ahead of me, and he had a slight advantage as he was nailed quite a bit before me. So we both go, and jeez it is taking me longer than i expected to catch him. Its so hard to describe exact comparisons because there are so many variables but i remember redlining 5th and shifting as quick as possible into 6th and then drawing alongside at approx 175mph. The best way to describe any accelerative comparison is that the CTR was catching it at a very quick walk. But boy did i have to push. And this guy was some kind of factory test driver methinks. Anywho he pulls in at 190mph and im alongside, then we slow for approaching traffic. I can see him looking over (no doubt thinking WTF?!) Sadly he had to pull in and take the next exit but he put his emergency lights on and i flashed him.

I called lisa, who later told me that she did nail the r turbo, but it wouldnt boost, it only went to 0,4 bar, so she was absolutely livid And this has been an intermittent problem for a few months now, have to get it checked, to think that it did it then, with a brand new 997tt is just about the definition of sods law i can think of...

Oh when we slowed, the 997tt had glowing exhausts! Very nice.

Great fun. Very fast.

all the best
adam

Hi Adam,

Its interesting that you say that. My friend who lives in Stuttgart sees alot of the development cars. About a month ago, he was also on the autobahn in his 996 Turbo (with 500bhp) and he too saw a 997 Turbo. The guy driving was a Porsche test driver. They both gunned their cars, and my friends car started to pull away from it. Granted he had 20bhp on the other car, but he was still disappointed that he could pull away from it.

On another note, I am not surprised that your yellow bird caught and passed the new Turbo. Your car is evil (in a good way)... not saying that you might... but please dont' ever get rid of it. I am happy to hear that you and Lisa (wife?) drive your Ruf's hard and on the track... exactly what they are meant to do. Btw, I saw a great video of a Yellow Bird being pushed hard on the Nordschleife (I hear it was Rohl driving). Amazing.

Best Regards.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:27 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Adam, that was one amazing post! It's funny reading how you explain the scenario, just like it's no big deal. You're having WAY too much fun, man.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Super D
Adam, that was one amazing post! It's funny reading how you explain the scenario, just like it's no big deal. You're having WAY too much fun, man.
I know its freaking crazy

Old 05-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by PRS29
Hi Adam,

Its interesting that you say that. My friend who lives in Stuttgart sees alot of the development cars. About a month ago, he was also on the autobahn in his 996 Turbo (with 500bhp) and he too saw a 997 Turbo. The guy driving was a Porsche test driver. They both gunned their cars, and my friends car started to pull away from it. Granted he had 20bhp on the other car, but he was still disappointed that he could pull away from it.

On another note, I am not surprised that your yellow bird caught and passed the new Turbo. Your car is evil (in a good way)... not saying that you might... but please dont' ever get rid of it. I am happy to hear that you and Lisa (wife?) drive your Ruf's hard and on the track... exactly what they are meant to do. Btw, I saw a great video of a Yellow Bird being pushed hard on the Nordschleife (I hear it was Rohl driving). Amazing.

Best Regards.

Thanks for the kind words

The driver of the CTR round the nurburgring was Stefan "Sideways" Roser,

all the best
adam

Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Awsome! Great post.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Nice work, Adam... way to represent for Ruf! Show them factory boys that the 997 Turbo STILL isn't fast enough for our taste.

By the way, how would you compare the acceleration of your CTR vs. Guy's GT2 when it had the 550 setup? Reason I ask is because I think that will be the next step for my GT2...

Old 05-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi Tyson,

Sadly i never raced Guy's car with the 550 with the CTR. It would have been very interesting...

all the best
adam

Old 05-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Schuepbach is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PRS29
Lisa (wife?)
close enough

Old 05-19-2006, 12:26 PM
gdctus997 is infamous around these parts
This story definately calls for installed cameras on these fast cars -- especially in a country where the "evidence" won't put you in jail.

Great story!

Old 05-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Adam,

I hope to get a ride in either one of your car's if you are going to the Frundsbergfest in Mindelheim this June? I will be staying in Mindelheim for the fest from 30 June until 3 July.

Old 05-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
Nice story!

Kev, Scott, practicing PWing?

Old 05-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud ofQ8_TwinTurbo has much to be proud of
ADAM,
That must be the most remark i have heard. Ver well interpreted!

Old 05-24-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Gunther
Adam,

I hope to get a ride in either one of your car's if you are going to the Frundsbergfest in Mindelheim this June? I will be staying in Mindelheim for the fest from 30 June until 3 July.
Sure i think i should be around, drop me a mail nearer the time

all the best
adam

Old 05-24-2006, 10:22 AM
PRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Schuepbach
close enough
So you were the one driving the RTurbo in the story huh...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just beat a 997tt on the autobahn during 190mph duel.