997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Put your bets up. C6 Z06 vs. 997 TT!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Z06 is a nice car if money is an issue, if it isnt, the 997TT is the clear choice regardless of which is faster.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:16 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Race took place. I am waiting for the video from Rick (TT owner).

From a dig, he got the jump on me and shutdown as I was getting ready to pass him at the top of third gear. I just can not get traction with the runflats on.

From a roll, the TT didn't stand a chance. Went from a 55-130 and he was about 2 cars behind EVERY time, and I was still pulling. We did this about 3x with the same results. I expected this from a roll.

In conclusion, the Z06 is just flat out the quicker car. Had the race went longer from a dig, I would have passed.

Video to be up soon..

Old 07-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
How many miles on each car? I know from experience with the Porsche's I've had, that they don't run their best until after 2K-3K miles.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
How many miles on each car? I know from experience with the Porsche's I've had, that they don't run their best until after 2K-3K miles.
Both of our cars are not fully broke in yet. My Z06 has 2,050 miles on it while the TT has 1,200 miles on it.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:53 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Wow .. The power of the Z06 can be a gift and a curse as launching it can be tricky.. Can't wait to see the video.

On another note, My 997s started waking up at 3000 - 6000 miles. It would be interesting to see if there would be a change in the outcome after both engines have a couple more miles on them.

Anyway, this matchup is going to take place a million times in the near future by every car magazine around. I want to see real-world comparisons between the Tip/6speed and other competitors.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:26 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Cant wait to see this, did you get those other comparison's done?? I'll have you some runs to compare with by tomorrow and i'll pm you

Old 07-03-2006, 02:31 AM
ronny ghazal is infamous around these parts
Smile

Two awsome cars. Z06 wins, but does that make it a better buy. You can drive a P car or a Chevy, which one do you want?
As for a track car, I'd take the Z06 anyday, don't mind thrashing that one.
RG

Old 07-03-2006, 03:02 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ronny ghazal
Two awsome cars. Z06 wins, but does that make it a better buy.
it is absolutely a better buy. The Z06 is a better performer in every category of performance vs a 997TT (braking, handling, accelerating, grip, etc.) for about $60K less. Well, not refinement.

You can drive a P car or a Chevy, which one do you want?
they are different cars built for different reasons and different markets. The TT's are more of a grand tourer on steroids. The 997 GT3 is what should be compared to the Z06 which I think would be a good compairson if overall vehicles we're being compared.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would choose the Z06 over the 997TT if either cars were being given to them.

As for a track car, I'd take the Z06 anyday, don't mind thrashing that one.
RG
If you aren't willing to thrash any performance car you own, then what is the point of owning it?

and I have no doubt the Z06 will go around a track (big or small) quicker than the porsche.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:08 AM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by dgussin1

they are different cars built for different reasons and different markets.
Then why is there a new thread ever other day like this?? Its like Z06 owners want the e-approval from Porsche owners LOL.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 AM
dgussin1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ZLP
Then why is there a new thread ever other day like this?? Its like Z06 owners want the e-approval from Porsche owners LOL.
I think they bring it up because the Z is a better performer than the almighty tt Porsche and they want to show it off. It's like buying your wife a 5 caret ring and taking her out on the town to show it off even if it's a VVS2.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 AM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
I think they bring it up because the Z is a better performer than the almighty tt Porsche and they want to show it off. It's like buying your wife a 5 caret ring and taking her out on the town to show it off even if it's a VVS2.
Exactly, it's like compensating for something....

Old 07-03-2006, 05:05 AM
bond is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SCvet00
Race took place. I am waiting for the video from Rick (TT owner).

From a dig, he got the jump on me and shutdown as I was getting ready to pass him at the top of third gear. I just can not get traction with the runflats on.

From a roll, the TT didn't stand a chance. Went from a 55-130 and he was about 2 cars behind EVERY time, and I was still pulling. We did this about 3x with the same results. I expected this from a roll.

In conclusion, the Z06 is just flat out the quicker car. Had the race went longer from a dig, I would have passed.

Video to be up soon..
From a roll, 0.16 Seconds quicker from 55-130? - not impressed at all, especially considering the lower (1200) miles on the TT, disappointing. A few hundred feet of altitude could push the TT ahead.

Here is the calc - 130 mph = 190.66 feet per second / 2 car lengths (30 feet) - 30/190.66 = 0.1573 seconds.

Bond

Old 07-03-2006, 05:17 AM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
it is absolutely a better buy. The Z06 is a better performer in every category of performance vs a 997TT (braking, handling, accelerating, grip, etc.) for about $60K less. Well, not refinement.

they are different cars built for different reasons and different markets. The TT's are more of a grand tourer on steroids. The 997 GT3 is what should be compared to the Z06 which I think would be a good compairson if overall vehicles we're being compared.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would choose the Z06 over the 997TT if either cars were being given to them.

If you aren't willing to thrash any performance car you own, then what is the point of owning it?

and I have no doubt the Z06 will go around a track (big or small) quicker than the porsche.
It is definitely NOT a better performer in every category. This was just one test. It had nothing to do with braking or handling.
The TT was already tested around The Ring faster than the Z06 so your statement isn't holding much weight.
Preliminary tests have the new GT3 even faster than the Turbo by several seconds around Nurburgring.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 AM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tony (FL)
It is definitely NOT a better performer in every category. This was just one test. It had nothing to do with braking or handling.
The TT was already tested around The Ring faster than the Z06 so your statement isn't holding much weight.
Preliminary tests have the new GT3 even faster than the Turbo by several seconds around Nurburgring.
sorry, how is the TT faster around the 'Ring than the Z06?

the 'Vette allegedly did 7:42 around the 'Ring, with the standard tires. Granted, there haven't been any independent tests verifying this, but if you go by what Chevy have said, this is the 'Vette's time.

The TT managed the same time, but with the optional "cup" tires. on standard PS2's, it is several seconds slower than the 'Vette.

take note, am NOT a 'Vette guy. i'd love to see the Porsche "win" (the 'Ring is an objective contest after all, and we can discuss it without all the warm and fuzzy measures about what's got more heritage, status, prestige yadda yadda...). But i've never seen any tests that show the TT as fast as the Z06 at the Nordschleife, on standard tires...

Unless i've (hopefully!) missed something?

Old 07-03-2006, 07:30 AM
monsoonmadness is infamous around these parts
IMO, they are both great cars. As far as performance goes, my friend has the new ZO6 and when I raced him with my 996TTS coupe I noticed right away that the gearing on the two cars is totally different. Its not a fair race to race from 0-100 or do the 1/4 mile and all that stuff.
I would like to have a race with the two on a straight mile and see who gets to the 1 mile mark first. You have to keep something in mind and thats the fact that the Porsche is a German car made for the autobahn and can cruise compfortably at 160 mph all day. The vette on the other hand can also cruise nice but I would rather be in the Porsche.
Hopefully my 997TT will arrive tomorrow and I to will have some results for you for I know a good spot here where we can do a full mile.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put your bets up. C6 Z06 vs. 997 TT!!