997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Put your bets up. C6 Z06 vs. 997 TT!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 07:34 AM
Tony (FL) is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hesperus
sorry, how is the TT faster around the 'Ring than the Z06?

the 'Vette allegedly did 7:42 around the 'Ring, with the standard tires. Granted, there haven't been any independent tests verifying this, but if you go by what Chevy have said, this is the 'Vette's time.

The TT managed the same time, but with the optional "cup" tires. on standard PS2's, it is several seconds slower than the 'Vette.

take note, am NOT a 'Vette guy. i'd love to see the Porsche "win" (the 'Ring is an objective contest after all, and we can discuss it without all the warm and fuzzy measures about what's got more heritage, status, prestige yadda yadda...). But i've never seen any tests that show the TT as fast as the Z06 at the Nordschleife, on standard tires...

Unless i've (hopefully!) missed something?
If I remember correctly, Pilot Sport Cups are a factory option. Did the Turbo have the LSD option? That is supposed to cut lap times from what I've read. Regarding the Vette's times. It was allegedly done on runflats. There is a lot of speculation that there were suspension and tire changes done to achieve that time. So it might not have been done on runflats. We'll have to wait for an independant test on the Z06.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 AM
DropGems is infamous around these parts
Did this 997tt have the sport chrono package?

Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SCvet00
Race took place. I am waiting for the video from Rick (TT owner).

From a dig, he got the jump on me and shutdown as I was getting ready to pass him at the top of third gear. I just can not get traction with the runflats on.

From a roll, the TT didn't stand a chance. Went from a 55-130 and he was about 2 cars behind EVERY time, and I was still pulling. We did this about 3x with the same results. I expected this from a roll.

In conclusion, the Z06 is just flat out the quicker car. Had the race went longer from a dig, I would have passed.

Video to be up soon..
No surprise here. Those that expected a different outcome apparently don't understand the correlation between trap speed and roll-on acceleration.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-03-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:46 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Christian
I agree, BUT, one is a Porsche while the other is still a Chevy

Christian
What an idiotic statement. So if this is a comparison between the 997TT and a Ferrari 348, he would say "yeah, but one is a Ferrari and the other is just a Porsche"? Is this thread about performance or brand worshipping?

Old 07-03-2006, 11:48 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
No surprise here. Those that expected a different outcome apparently don't understand the correlation between trap speed and roll-on acceleration.
Scott, the only thing that made my decision sway otherwise, with favor to maybe the 997tt was the sport chrono over boost and how badly it was pulling on the Gallardo in a video posted up.. But yea, otherwise its expected!

Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Scott, the only thing that made my decision sway otherwise, with favor to maybe the 997tt was the sport chrono over boost and how badly it was pulling on the Gallardo in a video posted up.. But yea, otherwise its expected!
Gallardos haven't proven to be very fast, even the newer ones...so using them as a gauge can be misleading.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:09 PM
mishref is infamous around these parts
While all this talk about which car is faster around a ring with tires is great. The Z06 is superior to the Porsche in terms of pure power .. its a plastic body with a huge engine.

The reason why I didn't get a Z06 over my 997s is because while the car might be faster while I mash the throttle.. But, I don't plan on driving my cars full throttle every where I go. IMO, the Z06 was pretty annoying to drive. Driving a Z06 in Kuwaiti weather took me back to the Viper days with no AC. The Car was very hot, quite noisy and generally a pain to drive in every day situations.

The Porsche is an every day sports that I can drive and still mash the pedal every couple of days. And also shine when I feel like taking it to the track every couple of months. If I wanted a car just to do the 1/4mile in sub-10 and run circles in a track .. I would much rather get a Noble or Ultima GTR.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:25 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Gallardos haven't proven to be very fast, even the newer ones...so using them as a gauge can be misleading.
True, BUT i compared it to how well the gallardo vs the z06 that has been posted, and that was pretty damm close. Oh well!

Old 07-03-2006, 01:10 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Cant wait to see this, did you get those other comparison's done?? I'll have you some runs to compare with by tomorrow and i'll pm you
Cool, I am doing those runs today..

I am still waiting on the video. Will post as soon as I get it.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by SCvet00
Cool, I am doing those runs today..

I am still waiting on the video. Will post as soon as I get it.
Ok cool man, be safe

Old 07-03-2006, 02:06 PM
12:03 has a spectacular aura about12:03 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ZLP
Then why is there a new thread ever other day like this?? Its like Z06 owners want the e-approval from Porsche owners LOL.

yeah, I lol'd

Old 07-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by terrence
What an idiotic statement. So if this is a comparison between the 997TT and a Ferrari 348, he would say "yeah, but one is a Ferrari and the other is just a Porsche"? Is this thread about performance or brand worshipping?
I agree with you that it wasn't the smartest statement. But do you actually think most people here consider Ferrari to be a superior brand to Porsche? I don't. I consider it to be only a more expensive brand, but certainly not superior.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:22 PM
I agree with you that it wasn't the smartest statement. But do you actually think most people here consider Ferrari to be a superior brand to Porsche? I don't. I consider it to be only a more expensive brand, but certainly not superior.
Agreed! Scott did you see the video of the Yellow Gallardo vs. the Silver Z06. just wondering!

Old 07-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Agreed! Scott did you see the video of the Yellow Gallardo vs. the Silver Z06. just wondering!
Hi Martin -

I did see that vid. But in that video, the G got the jump and the Z06 had to reel him in. In the vid with the 997TT and the G, the 997TT was always getting the jump since he was coming out of the corner earlier. I do think a 997TT will spank a G, but not as badly as it was in the video on the track when it always had the jump.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi Martin -

I did see that vid. But in that video, the G got the jump and the Z06 had to reel him in. In the vid with the 997TT and the G, the 997TT was always getting the jump since he was coming out of the corner earlier. I do think a 997TT will spank a G, but not as badly as it was in the video on the track when it always had the jump.
Yea agreed, it was just crazy seeing how well the Gallardo did against the Z06, i was extremely surprised! Anyway cant wait to run into a Z06, ive seen 3 on the road already and none payed any attention :/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Put your bets up. C6 Z06 vs. 997 TT!!