997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

so, I still don't know what the option "locking rear differential is"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stealth
From what I understand it was the name used to refer to a "limited slip differential".
Locking differential and limited slip are two different things.

Limited slip allows the wheels on the same axle to rotate at a different rate, such as when turning, the inside wheel has a lower RPM than the outside wheel, because the inside wheel in carrying less distance. In a street car, differentials are forgiving to allow for slip, but the more "open" a differential is, the more power is distributed to one side (the pinion side of the differential). But if that wheel doesn't have traction, the power exerted to that wheel will be lost in spin. the account for this, cars have "limited slip" differentials, which do exactly that.

Locking differentials force both wheels to spin at the same rate at any condition, even the car is turning, so while one wheel might be covering less distance than it's opposite, it will be forced to slip. Common in rock crawlers where friction against wheels varies, and in drag racers where the car needs even distribution in power to stay straight.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:42 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I think you guys are confusing terms a bit. A full time locked differential (like a welded diff, or a spool) requires both the left and right wheel to spin at the same speed all the time. About the only time this is a good thing is drag racing. As pointed out earlier in the thread, when you make a turn each wheel takes a different path. The outside wheel will have a larger radius than the inside wheel, so it needs to turn faster. If you want to go around a corner a full-time locked differential is not a good thing.

A "limited slip differential" allows a slight difference in speed between the two tires to account for this. It also channels torque to the wheel with the MOST traction. That's the primary advantage.

A standard "open differential" also allows the wheels to spin at different rates, however it channels torque to the wheel with the LEAST traction. Typically if you start spinning one wheel, all the power will be channeled over there. That's why you see the "peg leg" one wheel burnouts from cheap Mustangs, Camaros, and Hondas. If you've ever heard a muscle car guy refer to a "Positrac" that is an example of an early locking differential.

As far as the "locking rear differential" in the 911 I haven't pulled out the factory service manual and verified every gear and shaft in the thing, but it sounds like it is an electronically actuated locking differential, as opposed to a full-time locked diff. That would allow the computer in the car to lock the differential under hard acceleration and leave it open otherwise.

Quaiffe is one of the best known Limited slip differential manufacturers for motorsport, they have a pretty good explanation here. http://www.quaife.co.uk/differentials

Old 04-02-2011, 03:33 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rix
I think you guys are confusing terms a bit. A full time locked differential (like a welded diff, or a spool) requires both the left and right wheel to spin at the same speed all the time. About the only time this is a good thing is drag racing. As pointed out earlier in the thread, when you make a turn each wheel takes a different path. The outside wheel will have a larger radius than the inside wheel, so it needs to turn faster. If you want to go around a corner a full-time locked differential is not a good thing.

A "limited slip differential" allows a slight difference in speed between the two tires to account for this. It also channels torque to the wheel with the MOST traction. That's the primary advantage.

A standard "open differential" also allows the wheels to spin at different rates, however it channels torque to the wheel with the LEAST traction. Typically if you start spinning one wheel, all the power will be channeled over there. That's why you see the "peg leg" one wheel burnouts from cheap Mustangs, Camaros, and Hondas. If you've ever heard a muscle car guy refer to a "Positrac" that is an example of an early locking differential.

As far as the "locking rear differential" in the 911 I haven't pulled out the factory service manual and verified every gear and shaft in the thing, but it sounds like it is an electronically actuated locking differential, as opposed to a full-time locked diff. That would allow the computer in the car to lock the differential under hard acceleration and leave it open otherwise.

Quaiffe is one of the best known Limited slip differential manufacturers for motorsport, they have a pretty good explanation here. http://www.quaife.co.uk/differentials
Great explanation +1 but I think the OP wanted to find out how to prove that his car has LSD ....

Old 04-02-2011, 03:45 PM
SVTHorsnake is infamous around these partsSVTHorsnake is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 996TTer
Great explanation +1 but I think the OP wanted to find out how to prove that his car has LSD ....
not feel'n the love...

Old 04-02-2011, 03:49 PM
996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute996TTer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SVTHorsnake
not feel'n the love...
:-) Help me, what does that mean?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
I got a little carried away in the description of the different differential types. I think the answer isn't very satisfying though.

Given that it is a mechanical lock that is electronically actuated, it would only be locked when the computer wanted it locked. I doubt the standard jack the car up and spin the wheels to see what happens test will work in this case. I'm interested in this as well as my car has the same option.

Last edited by rix; 04-02-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Slow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really niceSlow911TT68Tip is just really nice
Everybody has tried so will give it a shot

I actually added an LSD to my Z06 as it was a decent adder ($$$) when I upgraded my differential and with 800 FT# of tq I thought it may be a good idea.

When you take a turn hard the wheel that has the most pressure applied to the road (inside wheel) is well planted and will not have a tendancy to to break loose via the torque put out by the engine. However, the outer wheel as the weight is removed will start spinning as the torque from the engine finds a point of release. An LSD will stop this from occuring by balancing the torque automatically. In otherwords, the torque is applied to both wheels equally regardless of where the weight of the car is placed.This transfer of torque is automatic but is progressive so that the outer wheel does not just lock up but rather slowly balances the torque so one does not loose control or even notice the transfer of torque is occuring.

I hope that is understandable

Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
exactly as above..it is a wheel torque transfer system on the rear axle (mechanically engaged) based on consistent wheel spin monitoring of either wheel )via PCM.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Serpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant futureSerpentene has a brilliant future
But LSD also has benefit under deceleration as it helps prevent lift throttle oversteer 911 tail over front syndrome) is a bit more controlled as both rear wheels are acting together when engaged and like somebody else mentioned it helps in controlling a "drift" or what is affectionately known as a "power slide" around track corners...

Old 04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cgng30
i was reading the post on lsd , and it got me thinking as i bought the car used with 5k miles and the factory invoice said it has diff lock , so when the car is in gear the wheels turn oppposite, in neutral they turn freely, hmm did i get ripped off??
Needs to be re shimmed. Porsche uses friction plates and a spring washer to pre load the friction plates. About 800$ for rebuild kit.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 996TTer
thanks for clarification, after i read it , i am like great but still doesnt answer my question

Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
rix
Originally Posted by cgng30
thanks for clarification, after i read it , i am like great but still doesnt answer my question
People are still posting confusing locking diffs, LSDs, and open diffs also .