997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

so, I still don't know what the option "locking rear differential is"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:03 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
so, I still don't know what the option "locking rear differential is"

Can someone explain it to me. Thanks

Lou

Old 07-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Well, in 4x4 terms, a locking diff mechanically ties the two axle shafts together, so they will NOT turn separately.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:30 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
is it manual or electronic? Basically, one wheel spins at low speed the other turns in order to get traction, good for those snowy days. Common in off road vehicles.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 PM
stealth is infamous around these parts
From what I understand it was the name used to refer to a "limited slip differential".

Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
SuperDarius996T is infamous around these parts
I copy you the explanation of the rear diff lock(LSD) i try to make on another forum times ago..

I try to explain..but i don't know if i'm able..

Without LSD the wheel that loose grip take all the power and the one with more grip as "no" traction,imagine on a left turn:the left rear wheel will loose traction becouse the weight go to the right side of the car and the right rear wheel have traction,but WITHOUT LSD the power go to the left rear wheel that is "easier" to let turn

With LSD the rear wheels try to make the same turn(the left and the right one) so if you make a left turn,with the LSD the right rear wheel don't loose turn becouse take more traction,but remain with the same turn of the left weel that have loose traction(all the two wheels make same turn and the most importand you don't loose traction) ...so if you make a drift,is easiest to stay in drift becouse you don't loose traction on the rear wheels..

Maybe is not clear..but in Italian is easy for me to explain..

Understand?

NO!

HAHA

Old 07-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Wannabe
cig1 is infamous around these parts
It's a security device

Old 08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
notgood is infamous around these parts
How's this for a stupid question. I ordered limited slip differential on my car, I've had it about two weeks and I have no idea if my car has it. It says I have it on the invoice and the window sticker but, I can't tell. I was told it was good to have and I think I do but, is there a way I can tell. Try not to make me feel too stupid with your reponses.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Well, you can't tell until you push the car to the limits. W/ LSD, let's say you go around a turn and your rear left looses traction your rear right wheel will start grabbing power from the left in order to grab traction.

Or jac up the rear, spin on wheel, the other wheel will stay still until you are about half way around then will start spinning.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:42 AM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by notgood
How's this for a stupid question. I ordered limited slip differential on my car, I've had it about two weeks and I have no idea if my car has it. It says I have it on the invoice and the window sticker but, I can't tell. I was told it was good to have and I think I do but, is there a way I can tell. Try not to make me feel too stupid with your reponses.
put car in gear, jack up rear of car, turn one wheel. if the wheel on the other side turns in the opposite direction proportional to the amount you are turning the wheel on your side then you DO NOT have limited slip. If on the other hand, the wheels seem to spin independently, your car is equipped with a LSD.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
put car in gear, jack up rear of car, turn one wheel. if the wheel on the other side turns in the opposite direction proportional to the amount you are turning the wheel on your side then you DO NOT have limited slip. If on the other hand, the wheels seem to spin independently, your car is equipped with a LSD.

you are actually suppose to keep the car in neutral

Old 08-02-2006, 01:06 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
From my experience, having LSD really helps make a difference. I drove a 997TT with LSD in Austria on all sorts of different types of roads. And then I test drove a 997TT without LSD here in the states. I didn't feel as "confident" driving the car without LSD especially in the corners. It didn't feel as "planted" to me.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:39 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by SuperDarius996T
I copy you the explanation of the rear diff lock(LSD) i try to make on another forum times ago..

I try to explain..but i don't know if i'm able..

Without LSD the wheel that loose grip take all the power and the one with more grip as "no" traction,imagine on a left turn:the left rear wheel will loose traction becouse the weight go to the right side of the car and the right rear wheel have traction,but WITHOUT LSD the power go to the left rear wheel that is "easier" to let turn

With LSD the rear wheels try to make the same turn(the left and the right one) so if you make a left turn,with the LSD the right rear wheel don't loose turn becouse take more traction,but remain with the same turn of the left weel that have loose traction(all the two wheels make same turn and the most importand you don't loose traction) ...so if you make a drift,is easiest to stay in drift becouse you don't loose traction on the rear wheels..

Maybe is not clear..but in Italian is easy for me to explain..

Understand?

NO!

HAHA
I quite understood you Darius...but please tell me in italian! If I can ask you...

Old 08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
ZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud ofZAMIRZ has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
you are actually suppose to keep the car in neutral
Really? That doesn't make much sense, because then it would be possible to spin the transmission output shaft, etc.

With the car in gear, the only thing that could possibly spin when you turn one wheel would be the other one because the compression of the motor is holding everything else still.

I've used this method and I've yet to be wrong...

Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 AM
SuperDarius996T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pilone
I quite understood you Darius...but please tell me in italian! If I can ask you...
after holidays..

Old 04-02-2011, 01:51 PM
cgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to beholdcgng30 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Really? That doesn't make much sense, because then it would be possible to spin the transmission output shaft, etc.

With the car in gear, the only thing that could possibly spin when you turn one wheel would be the other one because the compression of the motor is holding everything else still.

I've used this method and I've yet to be wrong...
i was reading the post on lsd , and it got me thinking as i bought the car used with 5k miles and the factory invoice said it has diff lock , so when the car is in gear the wheels turn oppposite, in neutral they turn freely, hmm did i get ripped off??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: so, I still don't know what the option "locking rear differential is"