997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Really Need Sport Chrono?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
rich_daystrom is infamous around these parts
Really Need Sport Chrono?

Found a 997TT available now at MSRP, but no sport chrono. If I'm not going to take the car on the track, does it really make a big difference?

Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 PM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
45 ft lbs of torque? Yes, it will make a big difference.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:34 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Helps resale. FYI, there's a GT silver one at Silverstar porsche on LI if anybody is looking.

Old 09-13-2006, 10:56 PM
turbonator is infamous around these parts
I'm on the wait list at Roslyn (ex Silverstar) Porsche

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Helps resale. FYI, there's a GT silver one at Silverstar porsche on LI if anybody is looking.
Do you mind telling me when you got on the list so I can gauge when I'm due?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:04 AM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
when i called rosylin over a month ago, they told me that any car that they would have in stock was a "premium" car, and would cost over msrp by 10k. i walked away.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 AM
B-Line is infamous around these parts
I would not even consider buying a turbo without sport/chrono.
And yes, you do feel the difference.

I like to say, in normal mode, the turbo feels like a lear jet.
In Sport mode, the turbo feels like a fighter jet.

It is kind of amazing actually. You also feel a vast difference in the ride quality between the two settings.

B

Old 09-15-2006, 07:49 AM
masterlu is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by B-Line
I would not even consider buying a turbo without sport/chrono.
And yes, you do feel the difference.

I like to say, in normal mode, the turbo feels like a lear jet.
In Sport mode, the turbo feels like a fighter jet.

It is kind of amazing actually. You also feel a vast difference in the ride quality between the two settings.

B
Well Said!

Old 09-15-2006, 09:45 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
It's a MUST have option for me!

Old 09-15-2006, 10:39 AM
Terk is infamous around these parts
I'm sure this has been discussed before but other than another revenue generating option, why would Porsche not make the Sport Chrono standard on the TT.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:22 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Tony,

Hurst from Rennteam posted this:

"Porsche gouging isn't so much about wrote comparative statistics. In terms of performance, the 997TT is a great value compared to F430/Gallardo. However, that's not the issue:

The accusations towards Porsche price gouging really stem from Porsche homogenizing their production line in order to reduce their production prices in their own economies of scale. Big difference between 997cs2 and 997TT? Technically yes, aesthetically no.

It's not the product as a whole, rather the product philosophy. That philosophy spills out into things such as the bumps in performance incentive packages (not happy with the Turbo's performance? Get a Turbo S or an X50 or a GT2. Not happy with the pedestrian sound of the Turbo? Don't worry, the PSE will come for a price etc etc), the product placement structures (the Cayman's underpowered delivery in order to avoid canabalizing 911 sales, thus producing an inferior product) and the lack of commitment to customer needs (hardcore track users who require a lack of sunroof on 997 GT3s/RSs and the reluctance of PAG to do crash testing on 997s in order to save money, thus giving you a track car with a sunroof).

It's antithetical towards a true-bred motorsports company, but that's the evolution of a homogenized capitalist corporate structure. I understand commitment to shareholders, but commitment to your base of purists is equally important. Once you lose the base, it all comes crumbling down."

Gives me a pretty good insight on Porsche's stance on pricing their cars, options nothwithstanding. In other words, Porsche charges extra for their options/cars because they can.

Last edited by atomic80; 09-15-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM
That's a great post Jason, thanks for including it.
T.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:38 PM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Also need to remember that Porsche has the task of covering all R&D for each car they make and stay within a certain pricing structure for their brand. This can be tricky to say the least. It might be easier just to grossly overprice all their cars like Ferrari or Lambo, include all options and pay for it all in one fell swoop. But they would lose a large portion of their customer base.

In reality, you simply cannot beat the price for the engineering excellence you get in the car (not to mention the drive quality).

The options can be pricey but I don't think they charge the prices they do simply because they can. It's a business and everything they do must be paid for and still provide a profit in the end.

My two cents anyways.

Old 09-15-2006, 01:39 PM
spinny02 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jlingk
Also need to remember that Porsche has the task of covering all R&D for each car they make and stay within a certain pricing structure for their brand. This can be tricky to say the least. It might be easier just to grossly overprice all their cars like Ferrari or Lambo, include all options and pay for it all in one fell swoop. But they would lose a large portion of their customer base.

In reality, you simply cannot beat the price for the engineering excellence you get in the car (not to mention the drive quality).

The options can be pricey but I don't think they charge the prices they do simply because they can. It's a business and everything they do must be paid for and still provide a profit in the end.

My two cents anyways.
well said!

Old 09-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Sorry..I didn't mean to insinuate that I thought Porsche charged certain "prices" because they could. I meant that they made certain choices because they could either out of necessity or because they wanted to.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by jlingk
Is has been a number of years since I have had the please of Porsche ownership and as I wait patiently for my TT, I find this statement is very well put.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Really Need Sport Chrono?