997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Sl65 vs 997 turbo.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vladcanada
190 new or how baout 114 gs 05 with 10.000 miles... thats not bad of a deal.
Damm wtf, where did you see this? My friend just traded his in for an f430, he got like 13xk for it, hmm might make sense only had like 2k miles on it!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Closest race I had (and I make only slightly more power than a 65) was against a 11.6 @ 124mph C5 Z06. I have not seen any mags posting 124mph traps for a 997TT. At 40mph the V12 has nothing but torque and traction is really not a big issue anymore. The turbos spool instantly and with spot on shifts w/o losing any boost between them (thank you auto trans) the V12 is a tough engine from a roll on.

-m

Old 09-18-2006, 08:33 PM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Comparing a 3.6L, 6cyl TT with a 6.5L, 12 cyl TT?

This does nothing except prove once again how superior the Porsche engineering department is.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:57 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jlingk

This does nothing except prove once again how superior the Porsche engineering department is.
Exactly. dont get me wrong amg's are beasts, mainly because they have HUGE engines that produce monsterous torque and very high hp numbers. PORSCHE DOES NOT NEED ALL THAT DISCPLACEMENT TO REMAIN A BENCHMARK OF PERFORMANCE CARS! i mean imagine if Porsche used a 6.5 liter TT V12. That car would be producing over 1000 hp if Porsche tuned it. They can make the hp and the torque with much smaller engines. just goes to show what lengths other companys have to go to compete with Porsche. 6.5 liter TT v12 benzes, 7.0 liter vettes, 8.3 liter vipers, 5.0 L lambos, etc. all while Porsche can keep the same flat 6 with WAY WAY smaller displacement and still romp on 99% of the cars that compete with them.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:15 PM
xandi911 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jlingk

yesssss

Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Once again the Pcar Turbo is being use as a yard stick for performance. Comparing these two cars make no sense whatsoever.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:45 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vincentdds
Once again the Pcar Turbo is being use as a yard stick for performance. Comparing these two cars make no sense whatsoever.
Thank you! Exactly what I was saying as well in a previous post.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:19 AM
MarsMan is infamous around these parts
The SL65 has a 6.0L V12, not a 6.5 Liter. The SL600 has a 5.5L V12, not a 6.0 Liter.

I know this is confusing for some but the numbers don't corespond to the engine size.

I own a SL65 with Renntech mods and I can tell you that in a straight line I don't think my CGT would have to like it from 40-140mph. Guys with the same mods that I have are running 10.8's in the quarter, so it is serious fast!

I raced a stock Hayabussa from 75-165mph in my SL65 and I was 2 car lengths ahead. The car is truly a beast at highway speeds and I haven't found anything that can take it yet.

I do agree that comparing these two cars is apples to oranges, maybe if Porsche ever produces a hard top convertible you can compare it to the Merc.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:41 AM
Sniper112 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MarsMan
The SL65 has a 6.0L V12, not a 6.5 Liter. The SL600 has a 5.5L V12, not a 6.0 Liter.

I know this is confusing for some but the numbers don't corespond to the engine size.

I own a SL65 with Renntech mods and I can tell you that in a straight line I don't think my CGT would have to like it from 40-140mph. Guys with the same mods that I have are running 10.8's in the quarter, so it is serious fast!

I raced a stock Hayabussa from 75-165mph in my SL65 and I was 2 car lengths ahead. The car is truly a beast at highway speeds and I haven't found anything that can take it yet.

I do agree that comparing these two cars is apples to oranges, maybe if Porsche ever produces a hard top convertible you can compare it to the Merc.
how much power did you gain from the Rennetech ECU?
but ill definately take the CGT over the SL

Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Exactly. dont get me wrong amg's are beasts, mainly because they have HUGE engines that produce monsterous torque and very high hp numbers. PORSCHE DOES NOT NEED ALL THAT DISCPLACEMENT TO REMAIN A BENCHMARK OF PERFORMANCE CARS! i mean imagine if Porsche used a 6.5 liter TT V12. That car would be producing over 1000 hp if Porsche tuned it. They can make the hp and the torque with much smaller engines. just goes to show what lengths other companys have to go to compete with Porsche. 6.5 liter TT v12 benzes, 7.0 liter vettes, 8.3 liter vipers, 5.0 L lambos, etc. all while Porsche can keep the same flat 6 with WAY WAY smaller displacement and still romp on 99% of the cars that compete with them.
Yes I'm with you...anyway as these people know that Porsche engines are so damn impressive and with glorious performance that they challenge them against bigger beasts.
Oh yeah...it's not a 6.5l...6.0l

Old 09-19-2006, 09:28 AM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MarsMan
The SL65 has a 6.0L V12, not a 6.5 Liter. I know this is confusing for some but the numbers don't corespond to the engine size.
My bad. The point is still the same though.

Even though it doesn't correspond to engine size, it does to engine power.

604hp and 738 torque against a 480/505 (with OB). You'd better be winning those races in the SL65. Why would anyone expect the TT to be faster? That's a significant difference. If porsche were to build an engine that size and stick it in a Carrera you would need a pilot's license to drive it .

Last edited by jlingk; 09-19-2006 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:28 AM
DropGems is infamous around these parts
Can my 996tt with around 480rwhp 500rwtq beat an sl65 from say 50 to 150? I haven't ran into one but i'm just curious. I'd assume that I'd smoke it because of the mods.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
I don't understand why everyone considers big displacement as a bad thing or as just easy way to make power.

I am sure the Cayenne Turbo engine is not actually small with close to 4.5 litres of displacement or it it?

The fact that Porsche insists on relatively small engines (if you can call a 3.4-3.8 engine small) for the sporty models is part of their commitment to offer sportscars that can be used daily, achieve reasonable MPG and not be too expensive to insure (in most European countries insurance rates are relative to the car's displacement). So since Porsche has a lot of European customers while AMG targest the USA mainly, they cover different needs and offer different engines. If you have noticed though Merc quit superchargers and the new E63 engine achieves a quite good specific output.

And please don't think that I am a MB lover. I used to be a die-hard BMW fan and I dislike Benzes quite a lot

Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DropGems
Can my 996tt with around 480rwhp 500rwtq beat an sl65 from say 50 to 150? I haven't ran into one but i'm just curious. I'd assume that I'd smoke it because of the mods.
It'd be close.

It seems even the most heavily modded SL65's aren't all that fast (relatively speaking, of course). The fastest trap speed I have been able to find for a modded SL65 is only 127 mph...which is significantly slower than a lot of the modded 996TT's out there. Heck...the fastest Mercedes PERIOD I've been able to find was a heavily modded E55 that only trapped 131 using NOS.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 09-19-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
cooperlee is infamous around these parts
fellas...just wait til some 997tt comes out of a few tuners (EVO, AWE, Fabspeed, etc etc.) I'm sure they be clicking 10s @130 with street tires ALL DAY LONG and still fit two midgets in the backseats!!!!! NOW BRING IT!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sl65 vs 997 turbo.