997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Swedish AMS 997TT vs. Z06 Track Comparo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Im from Princeton, NJ, and I see 911s here and there. a few Cayman S' here and there, lambos here and there, ferrari the same. I see TONS of M3's, tons of AMG's and tons of S4's. i see tons of BMW, MB, and Audi, infiniti lexus you name it. i also see a lot of vettes. the exotics like Porsche, ferrari and lambo are seen less often. I will tell you though, when spring time hits, and that one nice day comes the Porsches, lambos and ferraris do come out. When im down in FL(west palm, boca) i still dont see all that many Porsches, ferraris and lambos. yea here and there but i see tons of range rovers, AMGs, BMW M's and the likes.
I think I see more Benz's, Lexus and BMW's in this area than anything else. Although now that I have moved further west, I tend to see more F150's, Hummers and Silverado's than anything else. Oh, and those god awful Mustangs. I had your typical Mustang clown (shirtless, shoulder tatoo, scruffy thug beard and hat on backwards) fly up on me recently and damn near hit me in the *** end. I slowed and he pulled up beside me revving. I laughed in his face and pointed to his car laughing hysterically. I wish I could have taken a picture of his face at that time. I would never just laugh at someone's car if not provoked. This jackass deserved it. Call it pompous or whatever....he got what he deserved.

Thats the price of moving further out away from the congestion I suppose. Its worth it though as there are a ton of twisty country roads....and I work from my home office. ....No commute.

Last edited by amerlemans; 10-12-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:11 PM
SG333 is infamous around these parts
Re:

The "wow" factor for the c6 and z06 isn't really there because the redesign isn't that far off from the previous generation. Other than the absence of the flip up headlight, the average guy probably can't tell them apart.

Both corvette and porsche have been criticized for their conservative styling as the newer generations look almost identical to previous generations. I'm sure if we cared about being looked at, we would all buy Vipers or older Ferraris with more aggressive stances.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by amerlemans
I think I see more Benz's, Lexus and BMW's in this area than anything else. Although now that I have moved further west, I tend to see more F150's, Hummers and Silverado's than anything else. Oh, and those god awful Mustangs. I had your typical Mustang clown (shirtless, shoulder tatoo, scruffy thug beard and hat on backwards) fly up on me recently and damn near hit me in the *** end. I slowed and he pulled up beside me revving. I laughed in his face and pointed to his car laughing hysterically. I wish I could have taken a picture of his face at that time. I would never just laugh at someone's car if not provoked. This jackass deserved it. Call it pompous or whatever....he got what he deserved.

That the price of moving further out away from the congestion I suppose. Its worth it though as there are a ton of twisty country roads....and I work from my home office. ....No commute.
LOLOLOLOLOL!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by SG333
The "wow" factor for the c6 and z06 isn't really there because the redesign isn't that far off from the previous generation. Other than the absence of the flip up headlight, the average guy probably can't tell them apart.

Both corvette and porsche have been criticized for their conservative styling as the newer generations look almost identical to previous generations. I'm sure if we cared about being looked at, we would all buy Vipers or older Ferraris with more aggressive stances.
Well the 911 is evolutionary, so they arent going to change drastically, just like the 360 modena is not much different than an f430 they are evolutionary also. thats the whole point, to keep them recognizable.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by SG333
Any average guy can't tell the difference between a C6 and Z06, but that same person can't tell between a 997, 997TT or GT3 as well. All the cars essentially look the same.

As for the posers you speak of, yes there will be alot of people with lower models that upgrade to make their cars look like the higher-end models. I see plenty of GT2 and GT3 parts on TT and regular 911s, just as Z06 parts on all the regular C6s. That's just the nature of modding.

As for the Cayman getting all the attention, it is because the body style is new. In a few years, the streets will be littered with Caymans just as the boxsters are now. I given the Cayman plenty of double takes when it first came out.
I mostly agree.

An average guy totally uninterested in cars might not know the difference, but two different women who I bump into regularly sure did.

One woman (married, thirtyish, of means, drives a lux suv) knew what the current Z06 was and that she was looking at one. She's not a sports car enthusiast, but she knew what the car was. Probably because it's not only been in every car magazine, but in men's magazines, too (which many women read). She knew that I had the Turbo, but said nothing negative about replacing it. If anything, in her opinion the Z06 was the current hot car (within reason).

The other woman, who is a car enthusiast and likes Porsches, knew that I had the Turbo, too. She caught me in the lot one day and she even complimented the Z06. She did not say anything like, "you got rid of the Turbo for that", nothing negative. She could just as easily have said nothing.

So what can I say... these are my experiences. Those who don't believe me, fine. As I said before on this forum, the Vette's not the end all. But now a days, there are worthy alternatives to Porsche in the sub $150K category. Alternatives that have sufficient enough build quality that they allow their owners to enjoy the unique driving experiences they offer. Years ago, it was hard to love the alternatives. Today, having an imported (i.e. European) car means quite a bit less than it once did.

Last edited by Rob; 10-12-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Rob
I mostly agree.

An average guy totally uninterested in cars might not know the difference, but two different women who I bump into regularly sure did.

One woman (married, thirtyish, of means, drives a lux suv) knew what the current Z06 was and that she was looking at one. She's not a sports car enthusiast, but she knew what the car was. Probably because it's not only been in every car magazine, but in men's magazines, too (which many women read). She knew that I had the Turbo, but said nothing negative about replacing it. If anything, in her opinion the Z06 was the current hot car (within reason).

The other woman, who is a car enthusiast and likes Porsches, knew that I had the Turbo, too. She caught me in the lot one day and she even complimented the Z06. She did not say anything like, "you got rid of the Turbo for that", nothing negative. She could just as easily have said nothing.

So what can I say... these are my experiences. Those who don't believe me, fine. As I said before on this forum, the Vette's not the end all. But now a days, there are worthy alternatives to Porsche in the sub $150K category. Alternatives that have sufficient enough build quality that they allow their owners to enjoy the unique driving experiences they offer. Years ago, it was hard to love the alternatives. Today, having an imported (i.e. European) car means quite a bit less than it once did.
im glad you like your car, would i have done that, HELL NO! but were all different. i happen to disagree highly with the last statement about a european car not being what it used to be. euro cars are still the elite to prob 95% of the people out there. thats why everyone wants one, except for those few diehard american car fans. why do u think gm is in the hole 5 billion +? because they are a horribly managed company and cannot sell cars, same goes with ford, the only one whos above ground is Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep.

Old 10-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Rob
I mostly agree.

The name of the game is going to change dramatically when the nissan GT-R comes out next year. I have a feeling that for 70K, i especially will be looking at the GT-R. 480 hp TT V6 with japanese car quality and relaibiliy will def be a big hit. not to mention the modability that it will have. you drop 5K into that car and not much of anything will touch you.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
im glad you like your car, would i have done that, HELL NO! but were all different. i happen to disagree highly with the last statement about a european car not being what it used to be. euro cars are still the elite to prob 95% of the people out there. thats why everyone wants one, except for those few diehard american car fans. why do u think gm is in the hole 5 billion +? because they are a horribly managed company and cannot sell cars, same goes with ford, the only one whos above ground is Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep.
I learned long ago in psychology 101 that you cannot change the mind of someone who doesn't want to have it changed. I am not trying to get off by planting sour grapes. I am merely stating my own experiences and engaging in an intelligent conversation.

We can go round and round all day but one thing's for sure, neither side will capitulate.

I have no regret whatsoever by selling the Turbo. Though I appreciated it, over four and a half years, it brought me less and less excitement. The ride was hard, without much benefit to the handling. The power curve was too refined in anything other than first gear, and it sounded like nothing except in the last 500 rpm where for split second it made some music . I hate to say it but the car was kinda boring. Some say a dream is best left a dream, in my case, the Porsche Turbo didn't quite live up to the idea I had of it from its hey day ('80's and '90's).

Did I hate every second of it, of course not. I bought it because at the time it stood alone in its performance/price range (I did not want the C5 Z06 or a Viper). There are new cars, now. You mentioned one yourself. Personally, I'm headed for a Gallardo, next. I'll give up some speed but gain a whole lot of looks, feel and, most important to me, sound... all way beyond the Turbo. The Turbo's a nice everyday ride if you can afford other cars. If not, IMHO, think about something else. It just doesn't push the excitement button - once the newness wears off, at least.

So with that I'll leave this thread behind. You'll have the last word - of that, I'm certain. When I feel like coming back, I know there are good people here with a very healthy love for cars. Seeya.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Yeah, some people do know the difference between a C6 and Z06 --- they're called car enthusiasts. I'm talking gen'l population here and I would bet a ton of money that 95% of people out there DO NOT know the difference and would not be able to tell..
And the general population will tell the difference between a 991 Turbo? GT2? GT3? etc.. Hell, I am a car enthusiast and I still can hardly tell the difference..

How many looks do you think a C5Z06 gets? I'll venture about as much as a 2001 Mustang
And about as much as a Porsche boxster S. Why even bring up a C5 Z06?..

You can't talk "Porsche" in general and then compare it to a Vette. If you want to do that then compare Porsche to Chevrolet....and i know you don't want to go there.
Sure you can. Hell, even the C5 Z06 was neck and neck with the 996 TT in every performacne category. Now that the C6 Z06 is out and it surpasses the 997 TT in every performance aspect along with having awesome technology, driveability, etc., you better believe that you can compare this Chevrolet to the Porsche. Why wouldn't you? It can do everythig better for the exception of an interior. If I wanted a nicer interior that bad, I would have gotten an E55 AMG.

Z06 is more exclusive than a regular C6. But a GT2 or GT3 is a helluva lot more exclusive to a 911 or 911S than that. The CGT is just a completely different league and game.
Oh, so now that you don't have the upper hand in performance, we have to make ourselves feel better by talking about exclusivity? You sound like the Viper guys. "Ya, the Z06 is faster, but atleast we are more exclusive"..

So, when the Stingray comes out with 650 hp and they make around 1000 units/year or less, what will be your excuse then? "Well, errrr, ummm, errrr, atleast I drive a 'P O R S C H E'"

Ahhh, the insecurities the C6 Z06 has produced in other car owners, it is so hialrious yet at the same time, it is so great becaue it just proves how awesome the Z06 is.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob
I learned long ago in psychology 101 that you cannot change the mind of someone who doesn't want to have it changed. I am not trying to get off by planting sour grapes. I am merely stating my own experiences and engaging in an intelligent conversation.

We can go round and round all day but one thing's for sure, neither side will capitulate.

I have no regret whatsoever by selling the Turbo. Though I appreciated it, over four and a half years, it brought me less and less excitement. The ride was hard, without much benefit to the handling. The power curve was too refined in anything other than first gear, and it sounded like nothing except in the last 500 rpm where for split second it made some music . I hate to say it but the car was kinda boring. Some say a dream is best left a dream, in my case, the Porsche Turbo didn't quite live up to the idea I had of it from its hey day ('80's and '90's).

Did I hate every second of it, of course not. I bought it because at the time it stood alone in its performance/price range (I did not want the C5 Z06 or a Viper). There are new cars, now. You mentioned one yourself. Personally, I'm headed for a Gallardo, next. I'll give up some speed but gain a whole lot of looks, feel and, most important to me, sound... all way beyond the Turbo. The Turbo's a nice everyday ride if you can afford other cars. If not, IMHO, think about something else. It just doesn't push the excitement button - once the newness wears off, at least.

So with that I'll leave this thread behind. You'll have the last word - of that, I'm certain. When I feel like coming back, I know there are good people here with a very healthy love for cars. Seeya.
Rob - you seem to be a very level headed guy. I wish you the best of luck with your Z. We all don't have to like each other's choice of vehicle to engage in friendly banter and debate. Hell, I didn't think I would ever be the owner of a Vette. I tried it and it just wasn't my cup of tea. Wouldn't have know without trying it. It sounds like it (Vette) is right for you. Cheers man!!!

Old 10-12-2006, 04:43 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob

Excellent post, Rob. I am with ya. I am out, too. Let these guys have the last word, and it is ok with me. But, you and I both know what the Z06 is all about, and trust me, even the Porsche people that have driven the car know as well.

Peace.

Old 10-12-2006, 04:57 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Seriously, these Z06 vs. (enter whatever car you want here) threads are getting soooooooo old. The Z06 is a great performer. Who gives a f*ck!?
Why beat a dead horse? We are all enthusiasts here but some of these threads tend to sound like there are 10 year olds going back and forth.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SCvet00
And the general population will tell the difference between a 991 Turbo? GT2? GT3? etc.. Hell, I am a car enthusiast and I still can hardly tell the difference..

And about as much as a Porsche boxster S. Why even bring up a C5 Z06?..

Sure you can. Hell, even the C5 Z06 was neck and neck with the 996 TT in every performacne category. Now that the C6 Z06 is out and it surpasses the 997 TT in every performance aspect along with having awesome technology, driveability, etc., you better believe that you can compare this Chevrolet to the Porsche. Why wouldn't you? It can do everythig better for the exception of an interior. If I wanted a nicer interior that bad, I would have gotten an E55 AMG.

Oh, so now that you don't have the upper hand in performance, we have to make ourselves feel better by talking about exclusivity? You sound like the Viper guys. "Ya, the Z06 is faster, but atleast we are more exclusive"..

So, when the Stingray comes out with 650 hp and they make around 1000 units/year or less, what will be your excuse then? "Well, errrr, ummm, errrr, atleast I drive a 'P O R S C H E'"

Ahhh, the insecurities the C6 Z06 has produced in other car owners, it is so hialrious yet at the same time, it is so great becaue it just proves how awesome the Z06 is.
Oh boy where do I start?

Dude, did you even read my post. Perhaps you did but you just can't comprehend.

I brought up the C5Z06 because the C6Z06 will be viewed the same way once its novelty wears off. Why do you think the Z06 is the world's greatest car?

The goddamn thing is made of plastic, has ZERO road to steering feel and responsiveness, has an *** end that was obviously an afterthought, has a roof that won't stay on, has rear end issues after a few heavy launches, has seats like a la-z-boy recliner and has an interior selected from the 2006 Spring Tupperware cataloge. Yea, that sounds like something I'd be interested in .

I said you can't compare a Corvette to the general term "Porsche" because you are comparing a "BRAND......i.e. CORVETTE" to a MANUFACTURER...i.e. PORSCHE. In its simplist terms, a CORVETTE IS A CHEVROLET a PORSCHE is not just a 911. Capiche? I don't think you want to compare the Chevrolet line-up with the Porsche line-up do you?

Dude, you can think the Z06 is the end all be all of all cars. I could give a rat's ***. For the 100th time, I don't care how fast the Z06 is. I DON'T LIKE THEM. If all I was concerned about was speed do you think I would drive what I drive? Jesus Christ man, you drive a goddamn Chevrolet Corvette. If I didn't know any better, I would think you drive a Bugatti.

Old 10-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Congaman is infamous around these parts
amerlemans: I don't know what P car you are driving but the car in the avatar looks like a Cayman....I'm not sure though as the P cars all look the same to me.

If it realy is a Cayman I'm getting memories from when Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear tested the Cayman...during the test he said:

"I can't understand the purpose of this car or who will buy it. The only signal it sends is "Hey, I didn't become as successful as I had hoped it would be"..

I tell this story as often as possible to my friends who drives real sportscars like Ferrrari and Lamborghini and such....They always laugh out loud. <SCRIPT defer>var skype_curid=0,skype_active=false,skype_showseed=0, skype_ctm=0;function HideSkype() { if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else setTimeout("HideSkype()",2000);}function HideSkype2() { skype_showseed=0; if(!skype_active) HideSkypeFull(); else { skype_active=false; setTimeout("HideSkype()",6000); }}function HideSkypeFull() { skype_active=false; document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility="hidden"; document.all.skype_tb_hideframe.style.display = "none";}function CheckSkype() { skype_active=true;}function ShowSkype(obj,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat) { skype_active=true; if(document.all.skype_menu.style.visibility!="hidd en" && skype_curid==id) return; skype_showseed=Math.random(); clearTimeout(skype_ctm); var brd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var pcx=brd.left-2, pcy=brd.top-22; skype_ctm= setTimeout('DoShowSkype('+skype_showseed+','+id+', '+sadd+','+skypeout+',"'+name+'","'+title+'",'+sta t+','+event.clientY+','+event.clientX+','+pcx+','+ pcy+')',200);}function DoShowSkype(seed,id,sadd,skypeout,name,title,stat, cY,cX,pcx,pcy) { if(seed!=skype_showseed) return; skype_showseed=0; skype_curid=id; var menu=document.all.skype_menu; menu.style.visibility="visible"; var fname=prepareText("Ring %s","Call",name); var oname=document.all.name_text; setSkypeTextWithCut(oname,fname,170); bNew=(navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.")>=0 && document.compatMode!="BackCompat"); var docelem = (bNew) ? document.documentElement : document.body; scrollY=docelem.scrollTop; scrollX=docelem.scrollLeft; var my=pcy+scrollY, mx=pcx+scrollX, mby=docelem.clientHeight+scrollY, mbx=docelem.clientWidth-192+scrollX; if(my>mby) my=mby; if(my<scrollY) my=scrollY; if(mx>mbx) mx=mbx; if(mx<scrollX) mx=scrollX; menu.style.left=mx; menu.style.top=my; var bkfr=document.all.skype_tb_hideframe; bkfr.style.left=mx+3; bkfr.style.top=my+1; bkfr.style.display="block";}function setSkypeTextWithCut(obj,text,maxwid) {// var m_name=new String(text);// if(m_name.length>16)// m_name=m_name.substring(0,13)+'...';// obj.innerText=m_name;// return; var ct=text,ctf=text; while(true) { obj.innerText=ctf; var obrd=obj.getBoundingClientRect(); var ocx=obrd.right-obrd.left; if(ocx<maxwid) break; ct=ct.substring(0,ct.length-2); ctf=ct+'...'; } obj.innerText=ctf;}function doRunCMD(link,id) { window.location.href="http://skype_tb:"+link+"/"+id;}function runCMD(link) { HideSkypeFull(); doRunCMD(link,skype_curid);}function prepareText(act1,act2,param) { if(param.length>0) { var s=new String(act1); s=s.replace("%s",param); return s; } return act2;}function skype_tb_imgAlt(imgName,act1,act2,title) { if(document.images) document[imgName].alt=prepareText(act1,act2,title);}function skype_tb_imgDoOnOff(imgName,id,onoff) { document[imgName+id].src=document[imgName+onoff].src;}function skype_tb_imgOnOff(onoff,id) { if(document.images) { skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_l',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_r',id,onoff); skype_tb_imgDoOnOff('skype_tb_img_i',id,onoff); document.all['skype_tb_text'+id].className=(onoff=='_on')?'skype_tb_injectionInAct ':'skype_tb_injectionIn'; }}</SCRIPT><!-- SKYPE_UNIQUE_CODE ENDS -->

Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rob

Amazing post, and to some extent i agree. I feel to get the wow factor from myself and others the car has to be modified, especially in sound. I mean even Ferrari and other exotic owners think my car sounds crazy! But your right, the wow factor does wear off :/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Swedish AMS 997TT vs. Z06 Track Comparo