997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Corvette Z06 beats Porsche 997 Turbo around a track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
A GT3 will run much better and much stronger over a long period of time. Its been proven time and time again that when Porsche does the 24 hr 'ring' tests.
Dude are you trying to say a GT3 street engine will run better and stronger than a Nextel Cup motor??

Old 10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
Could you imagine what Porsche could do with an 8.0 ltr engine, probably about 1000 hp with their expertise and tuning (NA mind you).
I always feel that the american motors are 'loose'. they stuff this huge displacement engine in and put out nothing compared to what the germans do. 500 hp for the vetter and 500 hp for the m5. except that the m5 lacks those extra 3.0 ltrs of displacement, hmmm... .
Oh boy.

So, tell me... 5.0L BMW V10 vs. 7.0L Chevrolet V8:

Which gets better fuel economy (no cheating with M5 motor in P400)?
Which motor is more compact?
Which motor produces more torque?
Which motor weighs less?
Which motor responds better to MODZ?
Which motor costs less, and by how much?
Which motor is simpler and thus more durable/easier to maintain?

EDIT: standard disclaimer - I have never owned a Chevrolet in my life, but I have owned several Porsches and my current daily driver has a 3.6L twin turbo flat six. Don't even think about calling me a Z06 or Chevy guy. Gracias.

Last edited by justdumb; 10-16-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Don't be so arrogant guys the vette is a fine car, and a hell of a lot cheaper than any TT. The engine is also a SUPERIOR platform for racing than any european engine. Having said that, I'm still getting a TT, I think it an overall better car, it had better be for the $$.
I think Chris meant to say the LS7 platform is as good or better than anything the euros have to offer. I'm a little sick and tired of all the Z06 bashing around here too, as an American I'm proud to see the Z06 besting the europeans at their own game.The Zo6 is a fantastic performer on and off the track. Hats off to Chevy, they bench marked the TT and nearly blew it out of the water.
I'm still getting a TT because it's the better car for me, if I had the garage space I would get a Z06 and a GT3 to complete the trifecta.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:10 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
The standard nextel cup motor, based on the std small block chevrolet motor, makes in excess of 850hp with a restrictor plate/ 4 barrel carb setup. It will run 600miles + on a superspeedway at WOT at about 8,000 RPM for hours, I don't think any GT3 engine could do that with any degree of reliability. The porsche H6/flat 6 GT1 is a great platform, but not better than the SBC V8 as far as endurance racing goes.
You can't really compare forced induction to NA motors, but the GT1/GT3 NA vs SBC is a fair comparison, just look at what the covettes do in petite lemans, the p cars can't even run in the same class. I love p cars, but as far as racing engines go, I know which is better.
How about try comparing apples to apples, nextel cup RACECAR motor to GT3 street motor, hmm that's kind of silly no How about a race prepped lemans gt3 cupcar, gt2 car, you name it!

Old 10-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
I am sure no more than 2% of the people who buy 997TT's care whether the Z06 is faster around the track.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by Gabriel
I am sure no more than 2% of the people who buy 997TT's care whether the Z06 is faster around the track.
Yeah probably you are right

Old 10-16-2006, 05:19 PM
SG333 is infamous around these parts
Re:

One of the biggest knocks on the m3, m5 and GT3 small displacement, high reviving, high horsepower engines is that there is no torque. Sure the power is great at the 7-8K rpm range, but I think most people prefer the bigger displacement or force induction engines for street driving. Plus they respond much better to mods.

The chevy 7.0 liter engine weighs 458 pounds and the bmw 5.0 liter comes in at 529 pounds. Ever try squeezing an extra 50 horsepower from an bmw engine? Not an easy task.

Last edited by SG333; 10-16-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 PM
SG333 is infamous around these parts
Re:

I'm sure that is true, just at the murci owners don't care how the 997TT's stack up in acceleration. Most of these cars probably never see the track anyways.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by F**K
Oh boy.

Which motor weighs less?

EDIT: standard disclaimer - I have never owned a Chevrolet in my life, but I have owned several Porsches and my current daily driver has a 3.6L twin turbo flat six. Don't even think about calling me a Z06 or Chevy guy. Gracias.
I am curious to see the fuel economy comparos WOT and not in the standarized tests companies put their cars to. Also I would like to see their emissions.

The maximum output a thermodynamic engine can achieve is about 0.4. (work produced/energy consumed). The average observed efficiency for otto engines is 32%. I would really like to see someone put both on a bench dyno, calculate the work they produce in an hour of variable RPM's and give us his results.

Still I think it is pretty easy to see 5mpg in the Corvette although it's ligher and has less transmission loss than the 997TT.

Though, I think it is stupid to say which is the most fuel efficient when we are talking about cars that cost 70k or more in the first place.

THey both do a job equally well. In a different way. It's like trying to get in a glass house. You can either cut the glass with a diamond or just throw a stone to it...

Old 10-16-2006, 05:45 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DJ996
Dude are you trying to say a GT3 street engine will run better and stronger than a Nextel Cup motor??
No. look at what martin said, your comparing a stock gt3 to a race vette. compare a stock gt3 to a stock z06 and the gt3 takes it.
compare a race gt3, gt2, gt1, RS spyder to a race z06 and there is hands down goes to Porsche again. Porsche has been doing this for such a long time and has the MOST race victories i believe in history, theres a reason for that.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by F**K
Oh boy.

Which motor weighs less?

You know what, sucks for the vette when the nissan GT-R comes out because that is going to be hands down the BEST in all the catagories you just mentioned above when comparing the two. 5K in mods to that car, prob less than that too and that GT-R will be just as fast if not faster than the CGT, and enzo and the likes.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
You know what, sucks for the vette when the nissan GT-R comes out because that is going to be hands down the BEST in all the catagories you just mentioned above when comparing the two. 5K in mods to that car, prob less than that too and that GT-R will be just as fast if not faster than the CGT, and enzo and the likes.
Isn't the 996TT with 6-7k as fast as the CGT in the first place (straight line only). WHo cares about value? It's like having two women to chose from and picking the one that cooks better...

Old 10-16-2006, 06:06 PM
justdumb is infamous around these parts
I'm all for more fast cars.

But dude... the specs of the GT-R haven't even been announced yet. Quit talking out of your ***.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Isn't the 996TT with 6-7k as fast as the CGT in the first place (straight line only). WHo cares about value? It's like having two women to chose from and picking the one that cooks better...
I dont care about value whatsoever, i just think the gt-r is going to be a great car. and prob about that maybe 10K gets you CGT speed in the turbo.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
this thread =

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 beats Porsche 997 Turbo around a track