997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Corvette Z06 beats Porsche 997 Turbo around a track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by F**K
I'm all for more fast cars.

But dude... the specs of the GT-R haven't even been announced yet. Quit talking out of your ***.
Im not talking out of my ***. Speculating a bit, yes! news lately has said it will be in the 480 hp range and with a twin turbo this car is going to be great! im excited about this car for many reasons as skylines have been a rare commodity in the US. only those who ventured to import them have them. i think the new one looks very good in every aspect from looks, to what is supposed to have #s wise to the handling we all know skylines have had.
i personally HATE american cars. they have come a long way, yes, and many say 'oh theyre great cars NOW. euro cars have always had the rep for being great cars and continue to be. i think there are three of them that are worth buying, and they all are SRT-8 or SRT-10 models which you can easily guess what they are. other than those i would not even look once at anthing an american car company would offer. no matter how great they are compare to the
old' one or how CHEAP(which is one of the main arguements) or how fast(which is mostly only straight line) i wont even think about buying one. thats my PERSONAL choice.
I have a 911 for a reason, and I love it and will ALWAYS own one. In a few years I will buy another, along with my second fav car company, lambo, i will purschase a gallardo in addition to it, unless another option is better. i like what i like as all of us do and nothing is going to change that.
i kinda went off on a tangent there, but thats how i feel.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:24 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZLP
this thread =
+1

Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough
The GT-R should be a car that has the entire package...for around 80K. I almost purchased an SRT-8 300C...until I sat in it. In many ways it reminded me of the ZO6. Yet another example of a US car company unable to seal the deal. The SRT-8's hemi has an exceptional engine and some monster brakes (kind of like the ZO6)...too bad neither Chrysler nor Chevrolet could finish off the rest of their cars.

Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Im not talking out of my ***. Speculating a bit, yes! news lately has said it will be in the 480 hp range and with a twin turbo this car is going to be great! im excited about this car for many reasons as skylines have been a rare commodity in the US. only those who ventured to import them have them. i think the new one looks very good in every aspect from looks, to what is supposed to have #s wise to the handling we all know skylines have had.
i personally HATE american cars. they have come a long way, yes, and many say 'oh theyre great cars NOW. euro cars have always had the rep for being great cars and continue to be. i think there are three of them that are worth buying, and they all are SRT-8 or SRT-10 models which you can easily guess what they are. other than those i would not even look once at anthing an american car company would offer. no matter how great they are compare to the
old' one or how CHEAP(which is one of the main arguements) or how fast(which is mostly only straight line) i wont even think about buying one. thats my PERSONAL choice.
I have a 911 for a reason, and I love it and will ALWAYS own one. In a few years I will buy another, along with my second fav car company, lambo, i will purschase a gallardo in addition to it, unless another option is better. i like what i like as all of us do and nothing is going to change that.
i kinda went off on a tangent there, but thats how i feel.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:06 PM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
so i was looking at a few cars at some dealers this weekend. i went to 2 dealers and saw Z06s on the lots. One daler was Lake Forest Sport Cars = Ferrari, AM, Maserati and the other dealer was The Porsche Exchange. now i asked the guy at the Porsche exchange what the deal was with the Z06. he replied saying "owners who were used to quality made german cars bought these and traded them in after a few miles. this car is only fun for the first hundred miles then it starts to **** you off. at 100mph it feels like your gonna die." ya Z06, great car

Old 10-16-2006, 11:00 PM
turbodog is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gabriel
I am sure no more than 2% of the people who buy 997TT's care whether the Z06 is faster around the track.
Amen to that!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by noslushbox
so i was looking at a few cars at some dealers this weekend. i went to 2 dealers and saw Z06s on the lots. One daler was Lake Forest Sport Cars = Ferrari, AM, Maserati and the other dealer was The Porsche Exchange. now i asked the guy at the Porsche exchange what the deal was with the Z06. he replied saying "owners who were used to quality made german cars bought these and traded them in after a few miles. this car is only fun for the first hundred miles then it starts to **** you off. at 100mph it feels like your gonna die." ya Z06, great car
I got about 320 miles on mine so far, and I ain't pissed off yet, still smiling.

Why would you accept the salesman at the Porsche store as the the final word on quality and safety ("at 100mph it feels like your gonna die")?

This is nothing more than an irresponsible, no less inaccurate comment from someone who is truly biased. How sad.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
I've really liked the z06 since it came out. It hauls *** and in my opinion looks really nice, (still nothing like a porsche though). But I sat in one for the first time at the miami autoshow and I have to say I would never even consider it. The car has the ugliest interior I have ever seen. The dash was plastic with a carbon fibre look pattern to it, it says corvette in the vynil, I mean wats up with that. They could have spent a little more more to put real carbon and If something is gona be plastic dont make it so obvious by writing corvette on it. Sorry but I felt really let down when I saw it cuz i really liked that car, on the other hand that new camaro prototype is sweeettt!

Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 PM
.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold.:Raul is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turbodog
I got about 320 miles on mine so far, and I ain't pissed off yet, still smiling.

Why would you accept the salesman at the Porsche store as the the final word on quality and safety ("at 100mph it feels like your gonna die")?

This is nothing more than an irresponsible, no less inaccurate comment from someone who is truly biased. How sad.
dont get me wrong im sure it's a fun car. im just stating a comment made by the salesman.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:32 PM
dont get me wrong im sure it's a fun car. im just stating a comment made by the salesman.
Dang salesmen!

Old 10-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Dang salesmen!
ok but can i ask you question. since you are a man that owns both these cars, if you had to give up one of them which one would it be?

Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
raiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to beholdraiyu is a splendid one to behold
I've followed this thread for a while without chiming in but I figured I would offer my two cents.

I think the thing that everyone seems to be missing for the most part is context.

Are we talking about which one is best around the track? If so then the Z06 and the 997TT are fairly even and I think it would be a drivers race and also depending on the track.

Or are we talking about a daily driver that you cant live without? Then Im pretty sure the 997TT would get the edge, more reliable, better interior, safer awd vs rwd.

In the end, if its the track, then give Chevy credit where its due, its a great track car, it has great performance, and definitely competes with then 997TT without being outdone and blown out of the water.

If its the streets, then of course the 997TT wins. So whats the point of arguing which is better? They were both designed with a different context.

And we shouldnt get so hung up on price, because price really isnt an indicator of the car's worth, but instead what the public is willing to pay for it. After all these cars are made by car companies that despite whatever love they have for racing, are still trying to make a profit. So when the car is priced there are a bunch of calculations that they do to determine what increase in price will turn off what amount of customers and then work that ratio till they feel satisfied. After all if you covered every inch of the corvettes interior in leather like the 997TT, used some better materials, etc, how much closer would the Z06s price be to the base price of the 997TT. The price of the car has a lot of factors involved, and not all of them are related to performance or what the car is actually worth, so there is no need to get hung up on it.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:41 AM
ok but can i ask you question. since you are a man that owns both these cars, if you had to give up one of them which one would it be?
I would give up the Corvette.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 AM
WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !WyattH Is a GOD !
I would give up the Corvette.
You can remain on the boards.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 PM
93oh is infamous around these parts
That was funny. But, he didn't hesitate!

Look, for the money the Z06 is great. But the 997 tt is really a car you can drive daily even if you don't live in temperate climates, is more adept in making inexperienced drivers look good and is just very technologically advanced, as it should be for the price.

Now, being a Vette owner as well of a Callaway 560 hp C6, I can promise that the Z06 and Callaways are fast. However, my 997tt is on vessel and I am stoked!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Ruf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura aboutRuf-Racer has a spectacular aura about
In Fairness..

The Z06 is a comfortable car at speed. Certainly not like my Ruf but I can say I averaged 163 mph for 47 miles in my 07 Z06!

Probably wouldn't have over heated If I had turned off the air? LOL. Yea,I am getting bored with it but it is a good beater on the local tracks.

Cheers

R

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 beats Porsche 997 Turbo around a track