997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997TT vs. Murcielago LP640

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
I DID NOTICE ONE THING THO. from 0-180 km the lp runs 11.8 sec and the turbo runs 10.5
From there, the turbo starts to catch up. 0-200 km are lp: 12.0 and the turbo 12.5 sec.
So the 997TT was down .7 sec to 180 km and at 200 only down .5
So the 997TT starts to gain from the 180 km point. Id like to see 240 km and see where the cars are then. i have a strong feeling the 997TT will have caught up by then.[/quote]

What more were you going to add to that? It clearly says " SO THE 997TT STARTS TO GAIN FROM THE 180KMH point" Where you going to add " In my dream" "In my thoughts" " From my experience" ??????????

Old 10-17-2006, 04:12 AM
KNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really nice
I'm with Allan, the lambo can and will post better times I have no doubt. None the less it is nice to have this initial report to kind of see how the numbers stack up. IMO the LP640 and the 997TT are not in the same class. One is a modestly styled and comfortable GT with great performance, the other is a screaming exotic with lots of attitude and a big performer. Big price difference here too, as the Murci is noticably more pricey. The 997TT appeared to hold its own in this review but I wouldn't go creaming my pants or drawing stretched conclusions over it (cough*). Anyways, interesting article, thanks for posting. It will be interesting to see how the coming articles and tests stack up. If anything I would have expected the opposite with the LP640 raping the 997TT on acceleration and being comprable or close on the course.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:59 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ShankLMR
Zo6 < 997tt < LP640 < Carrera GT< Ford GT
Personally..
Zo6 < 997tt = Ford GT < LP640 < Carrera GT

IMO, the GT is an insane car .. but it doesn't fair that much higher on my scale. The only reason its above the Z06 is because of its insane looks (and limited availability).

Old 10-17-2006, 10:20 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by allanlambo
I DID NOTICE ONE THING THO. from 0-180 km the lp runs 11.8 sec and the turbo runs 10.5
From there, the turbo starts to catch up. 0-200 km are lp: 12.0 and the turbo 12.5 sec.
So the 997TT was down .7 sec to 180 km and at 200 only down .5
So the 997TT starts to gain from the 180 km point. Id like to see 240 km and see where the cars are then. i have a strong feeling the 997TT will have caught up by then.
What more were you going to add to that? It clearly says " SO THE 997TT STARTS TO GAIN FROM THE 180KMH point" Where you going to add " In my dream" "In my thoughts" " From my experience" ?????????? [/quote]

Yea I said that, but i also did not say why which is obvious, and it does. do i know the exact reason, no. Further evidence would be needed to see what happens from that point on. As i said, when someone tests the lp640 to 150 mph then well see because we all know the turbo has posted times of i believe, and IIRC mid 18s to 19 sec 0-150.

Last edited by PorscheC4; 10-17-2006 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned
allanlambo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
What more were you going to add to that? It clearly says " SO THE 997TT STARTS TO GAIN FROM THE 180KMH point" Where you going to add " In my dream" "In my thoughts" " From my experience" ??????????
Yea I said that, but i also did not say why which is obvious, and it does. do i know the exact reason, no. Further evidence would be needed to see what happens from that point on. As i said, when someone tests the lp640 to 150 mph then well see because we all know the turbo has posted times of i believe, and IIRC mid 18s to 19 sec 0-150.[/quote]

Anyways, that green car is the same press car that has been used in Europe that has been posting some pretty lame figures.

As everyone knows, im a Lambo guy, but the new Lp640 so far has not impressed me, especially at the price it is listed at now. Inmo, a much better value is a nice used Murci with a SP Stage 2 exhaust. No doubt it will be similarly as fast as a Lp640. For the cash difference, you can buy a nice Gallardo, or for 6Speeds matter, a nice 997TT and some mods. For me, the Lp640 needed to be a night and day performance difference, and even though I havent had the chance to drive it, others have, and have said it is not that much faster than a modified 02-06 Murci, if it even is at all. As for beating a CGT, in optimum conditions no doubt the CGT would be quicker still, but inmo, the Murci LP640 under normal circumstances will not have a problems with a CGT going from a slow roll, as the CGT has terrible traction issues and needs to be going at some serious speeds before it can put the power to the ground.

Personally, Im thinking that with my Gallardo, I have no need for a Murci right now, and after driving a SLR in Bev Hills this past weekend, Im seeing a modified 800Hp SLR in my future.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by allanlambo
Yea I said that, but i also did not say why which is obvious, and it does. do i know the exact reason, no. Further evidence would be needed to see what happens from that point on. As i said, when someone tests the lp640 to 150 mph then well see because we all know the turbo has posted times of i believe, and IIRC mid 18s to 19 sec 0-150.
Anyways, that green car is the same press car that has been used in Europe that has been posting some pretty lame figures.

As everyone knows, im a Lambo guy, but the new Lp640 so far has not impressed me, especially at the price it is listed at now. Inmo, a much better value is a nice used Murci with a SP Stage 2 exhaust. No doubt it will be similarly as fast as a Lp640. For the cash difference, you can buy a nice Gallardo, or for 6Speeds matter, a nice 997TT and some mods. For me, the Lp640 needed to be a night and day performance difference, and even though I havent had the chance to drive it, others have, and have said it is not that much faster than a modified 02-06 Murci, if it even is at all. As for beating a CGT, in optimum conditions no doubt the CGT would be quicker still, but inmo, the Murci LP640 under normal circumstances will not have a problems with a CGT going from a slow roll, as the CGT has terrible traction issues and needs to be going at some serious speeds before it can put the power to the ground.

Personally, Im thinking that with my Gallardo, I have no need for a Murci right now, and after driving a SLR in Bev Hills this past weekend, Im seeing a modified 800Hp SLR in my future. [/quote]

Hey man, my two fav car makers are Porsche and Lamborghini. As i said the styling of the lp640 is a bit more agressive than the reg murci which i like, for 375K i would be buying a used CGT, and I would agree a used murci is much better buy. i happen to love the gallardo. i acutally think my dad may be looking into a gallardo now and hes a Porsche guy too, he loves lime green, as do i. i will also prob be buying a gallardo in a couple years after my 911 gets some more miles on it. they are both great cars that perform equally as well. and since the used g are where they are i think they are a good value as well. and a drop, intake and exhaust are all i think it really needs.
CGTs, do have traction problems, but from a high speed roll, a CGT will pull very hard. either way theyre all great cars.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by bond
I push my 996TT as hard as I can and still have a license. I have gotten pretty good at that (as most of us here are, I am sure) - that said, I find myself (in spite of my best efforts) below 120 mph 98% of the time, with most of my driving done in the range where the 997TT would have the acceleration edge over the LP640. Likewise, I find myself at full thottle much more often than full cornering, making the lap time difference not that useful to me during my typical drive. The Tip is quicker, so both cars my not have had the optimum acceleration configuration, making the incremental gains on either side meaningful from a comparison standpoint, if not an absolute value (seconds) standpoint.

If you live in a major metro area in the US, I suspect the actual usage is the same. For exclusitivity, looks, WOW factor, ultra-top end acceleration, and the overall "I have arrived" feeling when in the car, the Lambo wins hands down, but the 997TT and 996TT's are very good at what they do....

Bond
Good post. The lambos are more flashy while the 911s are going to turn heads, its not going to be as much as with the lambo. both different approached, the lambo is more 'LOOK AT ME!' and the 911 is the one that is more subdued, but still an attention getter in its own right. I think the ultimate combo(for me at least) is a 911 of some sorts(turbo, C2S, etc) plus a gallardo. that way i have two cars that are stunning to look at, are going to sound great, perform well, and give me relaibility that i like. ferraris are pretty as well but they are such a ***** to maintain. I want a car I can drive and not be leaving in the shop all the time. Porsche and lamborghini are right where they need to be in my book.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:08 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hesperus
did anyobody else notice that the Lambo was a full ONE SECOND faster than the turbo around the track? that's what the "handling" stat was about right? laptime around their test track?

for a big heavy car with an ageing platform, that says A LOT!

i too am disappointed with the straight line figures of the Lambo... but one second faster around a track (and sounds like a small-ish track too) is nothing to sneeze at...
Pretty impressive indeed, but that could also be from the added power and so on on a small straight or coming out of a corner! Either way, it says alot i agree, interesting test!

Old 10-17-2006, 04:55 PM
oneflystud is infamous around these parts
bang for the buck .....

Old 10-17-2006, 05:41 PM
SRW
SRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond repute
So why did they bother making a Gallardo, if the V12 hardly can runaway from the 997 TT

I'm not sure if they will ever bother to test the LP640/599 GTB/Z06 with the upcoming GT2

Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 PM
KNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really niceKNanthrup is just really nice
Originally Posted by SRW
So why did they bother making a Gallardo, if the V12 hardly can runaway from the 997 TT

I'm not sure if they will ever bother to test the LP640/599 GTB/Z06 with the upcoming GT2
your post makes no sense

Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 PM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
apples and oranges imho really. but cool little article

Old 10-18-2006, 12:13 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KNanthrup
your post makes no sense
LOL seriously, that's like saying they made the Gallardo to better the Murci, no way!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:34 AM
SRW
SRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond reputeSRW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KNanthrup
your post makes no sense
Avoid it

Old 10-18-2006, 12:48 AM
BrotherHinkle is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gabriel
I would rather have a CGT than the Lambo. And for the money maybe a GT3 and a Gallardo.
Best idea anyones had on this thread. Track car and a Lambo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997TT vs. Murcielago LP640