997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suggestions for V1-concealed display unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:44 PM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
I can etch the glass in almost any pattern but cannot really change the layout of the lights, or not without a lot of work. The LEDs are all surface mount and very fiddly. However within the current design I can vary the size and so on, I'll see if I can do a mock-up that looks more compass-like.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:58 PM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
This is a rough mock-up to try and describe what I mean, I can change the shape of the indicators and the markings but cannot move them, here for example I have resized the arrows to look more compass like and altered text (I didn't put a lot of thought in to it!!) to diguide the other elements, they are still essentially in the same places though.

Any bright ideas for markings would be most welcome!

Chris.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Atlas is infamous around these parts

What about not etching/labeling the "temp"/bogey count box, dots for band type and no label for the signal strength bar/"boost" (maybe just slightly progressing in size and only 5 or 6 of them. Instead of labeling the "Compass" just go with simple, clear arrows.

^
< >
. . o O 0 v

Not as fancy as yours but should get the idea across. The basic info,discrete look. Simple direction and signal strength info.
Other option is to figure out a spot on/near the guage cluster to mount a modified concealed display.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:19 PM
oh well, keeps changing my arrows when I enter it!!!??? Better at concepts than computers, sorry

Old 12-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Atlas
oh well, keeps changing my arrows when I enter it!!!??? Better at concepts than computers, sorry
Here are three ideas, I think you're suggesting the first one? I quite like the bottom one, the extra dots would never light of course. We could also put alternate text in place if the four indicator lights. Personally I think they are important as you need to know the type of threat, what do you think?

Old 12-30-2006, 03:57 PM
I quite like this one too...

Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM
I like the first one in post# 20. #21 is not bad either but I never really cared about what type of radar it was, I always slowed no matter what. The laser is a different story, but that is what the Lidatek LE-30 is for. The bogey count is useful but takes up too much room in the display (IMHO). For me, I just want the most discrete display, short of the cost of a concealed unit like RX75 or SR7plus. I like to move the V1 to whichever car I drive.

Last edited by Atlas; 12-30-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Bottom line is I could do any of them so it's more of a personal choice than anything. I've also added logos for some people to the center of the mirror then painted it form behind so it shows through in solid color.

Chris.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks, I'll play with it a little. Good luck in the New Year!

Old 12-30-2006, 06:15 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Great idea with a small mod

Originally Posted by BD 997
I'd say on top of the steering column....
On the steering wheel, blocked the info data on oil changes, tire pressure, etc, so moved unit back, a bit to the left just between lower part of the two dash guages. Works great there without blocking any vital info from Porsche. Appreciate the location suggestion.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Before making my mirror I had the remode display stuck under the dash down by my right knee, I had a clear view of it down through the wheel and it was nicely shaded too. The downside is the mute button is a bit of a pain to get to. I've also wondered about mounting it in the batwing although I don't think there is one in the 997 is there?

Old 12-30-2006, 11:09 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by BD 997
then it will not be concealed.... people driving behind you will be able to see it.
You would still have to mount the V1 somewhere visable although the lights wouldn't light up on the unit but rather on the mirror...It still has to detect radar from the unit

Old 12-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by LSM
You would still have to mount the V1 somewhere visable although the lights wouldn't light up on the unit but rather on the mirror...It still has to detect radar from the unit
I originally had mine mounted slightly to the right of the rear view mirror. I couldn't see it from a driving position but the rear facing sensor was still clear. One thing to note, in the display area on the V1 itself there is a circle between the "Ka" text and the numeric readout. THAT is the rear facing laser detector. I know what folk say, once the laser alert sounds it's too late anyway but thought it worth pointing out, I had assumed all of the sensors were in the blank part to the right.

Chris.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:15 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ukchris
I originally had mine mounted slightly to the right of the rear view mirror. I couldn't see it from a driving position but the rear facing sensor was still clear. One thing to note, in the display area on the V1 itself there is a circle between the "Ka" text and the numeric readout. THAT is the rear facing laser detector. I know what folk say, once the laser alert sounds it's too late anyway but thought it worth pointing out, I had assumed all of the sensors were in the blank part to the right.

Chris.
That's what I did, mounted to the right of my mirror and had the remote display in my instrument cluster...I was just trying to stress that the unit still has to be visible to detect radar..it just lights up somewhere else...Unless....someone can take out the guts of the V1, place them in the headliner, and have the arrows displayed remotely...Possible??

Old 12-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by LSM
Unless....someone can take out the guts of the V1, place them in the headliner, and have the arrows displayed remotely...Possible??
I saw one guy who stuck it in a pouch from Walmart that was attached to the sun visor, kinf of ghetto but it worked. Another guy that I just made a mirror for is mounting it in a pod in the headliner in a BMW 740, the fabric will match the headliner and I believe is thin enough that the detector still operates.

There are details here http://www.540i6.com/v1.html I have no affiliation or knowledge of how well it worked, I prefer the clear line of sight approach.

Chris.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for V1-concealed display unit