997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Suggestions for V1-concealed display unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 11:18 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Suggestions for V1-concealed display unit

I guess mounting V1 on the windshield left of mirror is a favorite, but V1 is noticeable to coppers and thieves and too is difficult to remove routinely. Also V1 could hit you in the head in case of an accident.

Mounting V1 on the right visor is smart idea, but now difficult to see radar signal, copper is using, and position arrows, too, are tough to view because eye has to come off the highway which is not good.

Mounting on the right visor using the V1-concealed unit is best idea. My question for hardwiring V1 to roof wires makes the V1-concealed unit-location at top of car necessary like maybe on top of rear view mirror. Any drivers out there find a good location high up for the concealed unit??

Also some may use the long wire from dash to detector and that can place the V1-concealed unit in the dash area. Anyone find a good location for the V1-concealed unit in the dash area??

Old 12-27-2006, 04:38 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
you can always buy one of those 'arrows in the mirror' mods...although last i checked (my info is outdated as this was 2 years ago) they were quite pricey

Old 12-28-2006, 06:36 PM
BD 997 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by msindi
you can always buy one of those 'arrows in the mirror' mods...although last i checked (my info is outdated as this was 2 years ago) they were quite pricey
then it will not be concealed.... people driving behind you will be able to see it.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Good point, but still want to keep V1 of driver visor....in an accident could cause some serious head injury.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:56 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
This is my 2nd "concealed" V1 / Lidatek set up. The "box" is somewhere in the car (I honestly don't know where they mounted it) and the arrows are etched in the mirror. The lidatek is also integrated into the V1 arrows - a nice feature. Another nice feature is I can have the V1 "off" yet if I get hit with laser I will still get the arrows and an audible. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion.

The display on the mirror is NOT bright (barely can see it myself LOL) so I would serioulsy doubt if someone in a car behind you could see it - unless they were riding close enough to you that they could shut it off themselves!

Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 PM
BD 997 is infamous around these parts
I'd say on top of the steering column....

Old 12-29-2006, 03:05 PM
Geoff is infamous around these partsGeoff is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BD 997
I'd say on top of the steering column....
that's the usual place for the remote unit. mount the regular v1 unit high on the windshield by the mirror.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:19 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
Here's the place to get the mirror etching done for the concealed unit.

http://www.radarrack.com/4.html

Old 12-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Hussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really nice
Can the pricing on that website be correct? $60?!?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
fortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of lightfortyounce is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hussain
Can the pricing on that website be correct? $60?!?
If I remember correctly, it's around $350.00 for a complete unit and around $150.00 for just the etched mirror.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:24 PM
Hussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really nice
That's not bad! Do you know if they do 997 / 997 turbo?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hussain
That's not bad! Do you know if they do 997 / 997 turbo?
I'd think so. Shoot the person an email. I believe it's listed on the contact us page.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 PM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
Might be worth me adding my $0.02 here as that's my little ole web site

I wanted a V1 mirror for my Boxster and thought they were way overpriced so I decided to have a go at making my own. It turned in to a bit og an epic and took several months but eventually I refined the process and achieved the result I was after. since then I've made a few for other people, Porsche, Nissan, BMW etc mainly by request. So, it'd not a formal business but something I've been doing on and off at weekends.

As for pricing... the $40-$60 was for the acrylic bracket for mounting the V1 between the seats in a Boxster, since then I've made something similar for a 996/997 to position the V1 unit above/between the rear seats. I don't seem to be able to attach pictures right now, I'll try again later.

The mirror runs around $300-$325 plus the cost of the mirror, that has to be separate as there is a huge difference in the cost of a regular and auto-dimming mirror.

I've recently started discussing with a couple of people omitting the text and images fromt he etch in favor of something that makes it look less radar like... for those detector unfriendly places.

Feel welcome to shoot me an email, I'm always happy to swap ideas and discuss things. You can reach me here by PM of course if needed!

Chris.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Good to know the source! I'll look for ya in a few weeks when the turbo finally arrives...

Old 12-30-2006, 01:18 PM
Atlas is infamous around these parts
"I've recently started discussing with a couple of people omitting the text and images fromt he etch in favor of something that makes it look less radar like... for those detector unfriendly places."

Hey Chris,
How about a North-South/ East-West type config to mimic a compass and discrete dots on the lower edge for signal strength. That way we keep the front, rear and side indicators that make the v1 so unique! Not sure I ever used the signal type as I slow w/ the sound and directional alert regardless of what type of radar I'm hit with.

Last edited by Atlas; 12-30-2006 at 01:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for V1-concealed display unit