997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just dyno'ed the GIAC Flash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Tony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of light
Just dyno'ed the GIAC Flash

Well, it's been a long day. At 10:30 am I arrived this morning at Aerocomp Performance in Sanford FL to run some baselines for my car. They have 2 Dynos at their facility and all tests were performed on the Mustang AWD 500SE. The date of manufacture stamped on the unit says it is 2 years old.

The car being tested is my blk/blk 997TT 6spd. The car is a bone stock 997TT with the GIAC flash, set for 93 octane, 7000rev limit. The GIAC flash was performed on my car at 310 miles. Today, the car had 667 miles on it when we strapped her down and by the end of the day, 17 pulls later, the car had 692 miles on the ticker. Also, just for grins, one of the runs we did was a top speed test to see just what she could do.

A little background: I got this car with 4 miles on it and had a predetermined protocol for breaking in the car. I warmed up the car up at the dealer, proceeded to immediately do many FULL THROTTLE accelleration runs going up the gears and then back down under full engine braking, waiting a few minutes and repeating the process all day long. The oil was changed at the dealer and upon inspection there were small metallic bits in the oil filter pleats. I have used this method to break in my previous cars and have never had a problem, my cars never burned a drop of oil and have always been at the highest HP of their respective model ranges.

Now for the testing: since I rented the dyno for the entire day we managed to get in 17 solid pulls & I was able to get a good feel for this car and it was fun to see the maps change til the HP curves were very consistant and right on top of each other pull after pull. We used 4 fans to keep things cool. Once the pulls began the car was not turned off between runs, we just let it idle while the car cooled down, typically 10-15 minutes between runs.

To guage the effect gearing makes on the dyno we did several pulls in 4'th, 5'th and 6'th gear. calibration was done in each gear @3000 rpms.

Here's the results:

4'th gear best pull: 546.2 HP @6750 rpm 517.5 TQ @3750 rpm
5'th gear best pull: 561.3 HP @6750 rpm 536.4 TQ @3750 rpm
6'th gear best pull: 584.6 HP @6750 rpm 577.8 TQ @3750 rpm

6'th gear top speed run @6950 rpm:

221 mph indicated on analog guage in car
199 mph indicated on digital guage in car

Unfortunately I was only able to get one crappy looking printout of a 4'th gear run because their printer decided it was time to run out of ink. They are sending me all the graphs on disc so I will post them as soon as I get them.

I have already ordered the rest of the stage 4 EVO kit and will re-dyno once the exhaust, headers and intercoolers are installed, hopefully in about 2-3 weeks.

The last thing getting done will be the turbos and per Stephen @ImagineAuto, they should be available around Feb-Mar.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:36 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
thats awesome...

Old 12-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Tony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of light
Here's that crappy graph from one of the 4'th gears pulls. Not shown but the air/fuel curve is nice and steady (AND SAFE) between 11.7:1 & 11.5:1 through the rpm band.

As we were reviewing the pulls, we noticed that there wasn't any evidence of heat soak between succesive runs or any other anomoly causing timing to be pulled.. The pulls got stronger and stronger & then leveled out and overlapped withing a couple HP of each other. At no time was there a run that made something like 25 less hp on top due to timing being pulled or excessive fuel added due to high EGT's or tripping the knock sensors.

I've had cars in the past that required 5 or 6 flashes to get "right". My hats off GIAC for a plug and play file that really works. ..

Attached Images  

Last edited by Tony007; 12-30-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 AM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
Interesting -- did you have a baseline on the same dyno to compare with? It would be curious to see how much of a difference the ECU makes on a car like yours which received, shall we say, a racing break-in ...

Old 12-30-2006, 12:30 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by treynor
Interesting -- did you have a baseline on the same dyno to compare with? It would be curious to see how much of a difference the ECU makes on a car like yours which received, shall we say, a racing break-in ...
Agreed, should have gotten some baslines in! Oh well, nice numbers and congrats, i also believe 4th gear pull is the most accurate!

Martin

Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 AM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
Yah, I should clarify - those are awesome numbers and the GIAC flash clearly adds a ton of power. I'm just such a fact-oriented guy

Old 12-30-2006, 01:48 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Terrifc numbers, Now add that Exhaust, Headers EVOMS and your complete.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:24 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Very nice info, and pretty spot-on with what EVO, AWE, etc have shown. DO you know what correction factor was used? I am assuming those were not whp ratings. I am also feeling assured by the AFR report

Old 12-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
What were the metallic bits in the filter????

Old 12-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by treynor
Just before the holidays I contacted the shop to do some "bone stock" baseline runs to see the net effect the flash would give me. They advised that they were putting the finishing touches tuning a 980hp Supra and couldn't bump him out to squeeze me in. I really tried but couldn't get it done before travelling out of town for the holidays so this will have to serve as my baseline for now and to guage the rest of the stage 4 mods.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:18 AM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony007
Just before the holidays I contacted the shop to do some "bone stock" baseline runs to see the net effect the flash would give me. They advised that they were putting the finishing touches tuning a 980hp Supra and couldn't bump him out to squeeze me in. I really tried but couldn't get it done before travelling out of town for the holidays so this will have to serve as my baseline for now and to guage the rest of the stage 4 mods.
Tony, how did you arrive at those quoted numbers? what loss factor are you using? Thanks, Great numbers.Kevin

Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
is that: 4'th gear best pull: 546.2 HP @6750 rpm 517.5 TQ @3750 rpm

to the wheels from just a flash?

Old 12-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by eclou
Very nice info, and pretty spot-on with what EVO, AWE, etc have shown. DO you know what correction factor was used? I am assuming those were not whp ratings. I am also feeling assured by the AFR report
I just called the shop to get some more info. those are definitely AWHP#'s and SAE corrected. Here's the rub, after they reviewed the setting they noticed that parasitic multiplyer was not set for "mustang spec" and had a correction factor set for "dynojet spec". that will definitely inflate things a bit. Just how much? I don't know, they check with Mustang and let me know.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Did you do a baseline run?

Old 12-31-2006, 07:58 AM
According to the shop there are two pasasitic multiplyer values which can be eneterd into the Muystang dyno. A parasitic multiplyer value of 1.0 is used for "true Mustang numbers" and a parasitic multiplyer value of 2.0 is used for "Dynojet numbers". The last car they did they used the 2.0 value & they forgot to put the value back to 1.0 for my pulls.

The values selected to set up the Mustang dyno for my pulls were the following:

15.4 hp @50mph
SAE Correction
3600 LB vehicle weight
Parasitic multiplyer set @2.0 for dynojet equivelent #'s

Back in 2004 I put a procharger supercharger kit on my Z06. My best SAE corrected #'s was 496 hp at the rear tires. This was on a Mustang Dyno. The rest of the guys installing Procharger kits on their Z06's and testing on a dynojet were getting low 500's, like 505 to 525 rwhp SAE corrected. I suspect that my numbers might be 25-30hp high for "Real Mustang #'s".

I told the shop that I want to re-run some pulls at the 1.0 value because being strapped to a mustang that is what I was paying for..

I will contact Mustang and see what they say the difference between the two values would represent on say a 500hp awhp car.

Either way, the car is definitely making power. Let the rest of the mods begin.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just dyno'ed the GIAC Flash