997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Very disappointed with 997TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 03:03 PM
LukasLuis is infamous around these parts
Very disappointed with 997TT

Hi Guys,

I have had my 997 TT TIP since a month now and have already done 5,000 KM. I ran it in properly, drive it slowly until oil is warm and generally do everything to treat the car very well.

I have taken it on the highways to test its performance. My points (and disappointments) are:

-Acceleration 0-100km/h is very good, but

-After you are in 3rd gear (and higher), acceleration is no good for a proper sports car. This is supposed to be the icon of THE German Sports car manufacturer ? You gotta be kidding !!! It is a disgrace to say the least. I hate BMWs, but for example a BMW M6 has basically the same acceleration 0-200km/h than the 997 TT and is probably faster above 200km/h. This is a full-blown 4-seater with a N/A engine, even costs 30,000 EUROS less, and has the same or better performance than THE German Sportscar ??? Come on...

I am not even talking about F430s, Z06s, Lambos, etc...

-Even not comparing the 997TT to any other car, it just does not feel really fast.

-Above 250km/h acceleration is almost non-existant.

I did check the times of my car, and yes it does 0-200km/h in 12.2 secs, so there is nothing wrong with it. It is just underpowered for what it is supposed to be.

Other negative points:

-There is very well a serious turbo lag, maybe not as bad as on earlier models, but still way too much lag.

-Exhaust sound is ridiculous. But that has been discussed already intensively..

-Sound system is a total joke. The worst I have ever heard on any car costing more than 25,000 EUROS.

-Quality control apparently seem to have reached below Mercedes standards:
1. On delivery, interior lighting did not work at all. Had to go back to Porsche to have it fixed.
2. Unidentifiable noise from the rear seats, Porsche has yet to find a solution.
3. Unidentifiable noise from the rear axle, Porsche has yet to find a solution.
4. Stitching of leather on drivers seat has several defaults, leather on passenger seat as well.
5. Drivers side window squeaking when putting it down. Making wind noise at speeds above 180km/h

And a few other defaults, all since delivery.

Where is the build quality of earlier Porsches ???

I always thought Wedeking was doing a good job at Porsche, but now he seems to me like a cousin of Schrempp...

In my opinion, the car is underpowered by at least 100hp. I know there are tuners out there who make the car faster, but the point here is that it should be much faster in its original state.

And quality control should be MUCH better.

What do you guys think ? Am I wrong, or do you see my point ?

Old 01-04-2007, 03:18 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Wow, quite a first post.
I agree the 997TT probably isn't as visceral as earlier models (read 993TT), but I wouldn't consider it inferior to a pos like the m6.
Welcome aboard though!
All opinions are welcome, both pro and con.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
I love the 997TT, the only problem i have found (only sometimes) is weird sounds coming from the back (maybe the axle sound like you stated above).

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Wow, quite a first post.
I agree the 997TT probably isn't as visceral as earlier models (read 993TT), but I wouldn't consider it inferior to a pos like the m6.
Welcome aboard though!
Oh please, the M6 is nowhere near a POS. It is very well comparable to the 997TT, im picking mine up in a couple days. To be honest it drives as nice (if not better) then the 997tt.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:30 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with you only on the turbo lag issue. But that's where the tuner make their living.

Last edited by vincentdds; 01-04-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:33 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
good to hear some contrarian opinions... in my mind, all cars from the factory are under-powered one of the reasons for buying a turbo is the platform - it allows you to go further. granted, this might have been an unknown when you bought yours but EVO (and probably others) have shown us it can be done.

- chuck

Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Oh, I was kidding about the m6, I'm sure it's a fine sedan.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:37 PM
xlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nicexlr8ion is just really nice
Your fault for buying a tip.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Gabriel is infamous around these parts
I always thought that the main advantage of the 997TT is it's vast performance combined to the fact that it is very comfortable, easy to drive and bearable as a daily driver. I drove an E60 M5 and I couldn't stand it downtown. And I suppose that the M6 is even worse.

Also it sounds like a diesel at idle (nothing wrong with oilburners). Keep in mind that the M6 has a gearing advantage which is obvious at higher speeds (since at lower traction wouldn't let you make full use of it)

Apart from the above, I am sorry for your problems with the car and I think they are unacceptable for a vehicle with that badge and pricetag.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:46 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Wow, quite a first post.
Welcome aboard though!
u cant possibly be serious about calling the M6 a pos right ?? get real .....

this is the first negative thing im hearing about the 997 ..... maybe the tiptronic has something to do with it also ?

Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM
B-Line is infamous around these parts
Sorry, I have to disagree.

Every time I drive my TT I am amazed at how ridiculously fast it is. And I am not a white glove driver. I am a track guy.

Maybe the problem is, you bought it in a tip. Yes, tips are faster 0-60 but at highway speeds, I have never felt a loss for power, quite the opposite. Often I have to let off when I realize the speeds I have reached.

B

Old 01-04-2007, 03:50 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
wow...how slow does a stock 996tt feel to ya then?

Old 01-04-2007, 03:57 PM
ROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really niceROCK is just really nice
Is it NOT true then that a 997TT is faster than Lambos, F430 and Z06s ? Or is it faster up to 1/4 mile and then gets spanked ? Or just FEELS slower ?

Old 01-04-2007, 03:58 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
If 480 simply isn't enough HP send your car to Ruf for a conversion.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:59 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Well that sucks...I am sure you are seriously pissed about the issues but to be honest...every single car I have ever bought has issues for a few months after purchase and are fixed by the dealer...it always sucks but it's part of the process.

I drove a 996TT and it blew my mind...I'll let you know how I feel when mine arrives in a couple of weeks.

Now for the important stuff...how about some pics!

Old 01-04-2007, 04:05 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
I am thinking the TIP part of it may be ruining your experience?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Very disappointed with 997TT