997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

997 Turbo Black/Black 6speed Available**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 12:33 AM
docjackson1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Doc, pccb's mean little to a 3500# street car with street tires and, lets face it, amateur drivers (track, I mean, they're useless on the street).
chris-i totally agree. that's why i woudn't spend the money. if the 9k bought me the worlds best sound system, i might spend it on that, as i might derive some pleasure/benefit from it. but i agree-from my view, the pccbs won't make a difference to me-as you say, i am far from a skilled track driver. taking it back and forth to work, etc, i will never see the difference

Old 01-07-2007, 12:47 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Analogous to the guy with a 40" waist worrying about the weight of a sunroof...j/k

Old 01-07-2007, 11:44 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Arling. I had a 997TT with PCCB and that was the best braking car I had ever owned. My friend who has a CGT and a 997TT with PCCB said his 997TT stops better than his CGT. Also the extra benefits of better ride and more agile handling due to reduced unsprung weight is well worth it too. These are traits that can be felt on just street driving. I spend $5000 to get 19" Champions just for reduced weight anyway, so $9000 for brakes is an even better deal. Plus no brake dust is just awesome.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by terrence
I agree with Arling. I had a 997TT with PCCB and that was the best braking car I had ever owned. My friend who has a CGT and a 997TT with PCCB said his 997TT stops better than his CGT. Also the extra benefits of better ride and more agile handling due to reduced unsprung weight is well worth it too. These are traits that can be felt on just street driving. I spend $5000 to get 19" Champions just for reduced weight anyway, so $9000 for brakes is an even better deal. Plus no brake dust is just awesome.
you know, i wonder-has anyone published any data in any of the car mags showing that the pccbs stop shorter, have less fade. if you look in the manual that they give you for the turbo, i don't think that they say that the pccbs stop shorter

Old 01-07-2007, 12:18 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ996
Let me try to to dicepher what you are saying, correct me if I'm off base. If one doesn't order every overpriced option on the car then one has no business buying/leasing the car, as the case may be
no. i also stated that's just my case. since u mentioned leasing then how much of a difference would it make in ur monthly payment on a $9,000 option? well, we don't need to get into that since that's not my point in the beginning. i was very clear in the beginning if it's my car i'd love to have the ceramic if i had ordered the car. glad Porsche made it as an option not standard on the car (which i wish PCCB is stardard on the GT3 RS). i can understand ur point of view since for example u can buy a loaded 997 GT3 like mine to be more expensive then a base 997 Turbo. better deal of not i don't know but at least i'm happy with it the way it is & the way i want it.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by docjackson1
you know, i wonder-has anyone published any data in any of the car mags showing that the pccbs stop shorter, have less fade. if you look in the manual that they give you for the turbo, i don't think that they say that the pccbs stop shorter
doc,
have u tried it yet? the difference is night & day which u might not see it on paper but the increased driver confidence is beyond that. this might sound stupid but if u think braking power as horsepower then u think about NA car vs force induction car. force induction car always feels faster even if the NA car has more horsepower and goes faster.

i'm not trying to convince u though since obviously we're on different path. i think i'm done here. this thread is not about if PCCB is worth or not. don't want to jump on it trying to kill the sale. great car nicely optioned. GL on the sale. it won't last long for sure.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 PM
[quote=20C4S]doc,
have u tried it yet? the difference is night & day which u might not see it on paper but the increased driver confidence is beyond that. this might sound stupid but if u think braking power as horsepower then u think about NA car vs force induction car. force induction car always feels faster even if the NA car has more horsepower and goes faster.

i'm not trying to convince u though since obviously we're on different path. i think i'm done here. this thread is not about if PCCB is worth or not. don't want to jump on it trying to kill the sale. great car nicely optioned. GL on the sale. it won't last long for sure. [/quote

i hear what you are saying, but you are reporting subjective "seat of your pants" observations. for your $9000, i would want someone to show me that it objectively works. how many times do people drive 2 different cars, feel that one is quicker to find out that the numbers show that they are wrong. happens in car mags all the time. i am just asking whether someone has taken the time to record data with and without pccbs. what if you found that their stopping differences were no different-would you still pay the money. by the way, the monthly lease difference on a 3 year lease would be about $250/month, give or take $25.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:20 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 20C4S
no. i also stated that's just my case. since u mentioned leasing then how much of a difference would it make in ur monthly payment on a $9,000 option? well, we don't need to get into that since that's not my point in the beginning. i was very clear in the beginning if it's my car i'd love to have the ceramic if i had ordered the car. glad Porsche made it as an option not standard on the car (which i wish PCCB is stardard on the GT3 RS). i can understand ur point of view since for example u can buy a loaded 997 GT3 like mine to be more expensive then a base 997 Turbo. better deal of not i don't know but at least i'm happy with it the way it is & the way i want it.
I only bring up leasing because a lot of people lease these cars through their business or practice for tax reasons. Personally I always buy my cars outright, but that's another topic altogether. Just as this topic has been diverted off course a bit. Enjoy your GT3.

Back on topic, this black on black TT sounds great, I'm sure it won't last long.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:55 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
[quote=docjackson1]
Originally Posted by 20C4S
doc,

i'm not trying to convince u though since obviously we're on different path. i think i'm done here. this thread is not about if PCCB is worth or not. don't want to jump on it trying to kill the sale. great car nicely optioned. GL on the sale. it won't last long for sure. [/quote

i hear what you are saying, but you are reporting subjective "seat of your pants" observations. for your $9000, i would want someone to show me that it objectively works. how many times do people drive 2 different cars, feel that one is quicker to find out that the numbers show that they are wrong. happens in car mags all the time. i am just asking whether someone has taken the time to record data with and without pccbs. what if you found that their stopping differences were no different-would you still pay the money. by the way, the monthly lease difference on a 3 year lease would be about $250/month, give or take $25.
I thought I recently read somewhere (Rennteam?) that porsche is not claiming better stopping distances with PCCB's.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:19 PM
chris-that is what i read also. as i said, i wouldn't spend the money, but i can certainly understand somebody spending the 9k. just owning the car with that kind of technology could give you satisfaction. in a way, it's like someone with a z06 saying why spend the money for a turbo, when you can get a z06 for 75k. actually, that isn't a great comparison, but you know what i am saying. whatever, if you are willing to spend the money on the turbo, you can get a car that you can look at every day and smile. you can also find a discussion group like this to talk about your car. all is good.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
What a war I started, I have driven cars 996 X50 w both Cermaic and Steel and I think there is a difference...and while you surely dont use the brakes on the street as you do on the track anything that make the car stop better is for me...PCCB is the only way for me...so for me and my 9k thats what I will get...

Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 PM
no war marc-just a discussion. by the way, you are a moderator-are you able to find any objective data that the ceramics stop you better, anything published?

Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
I was being sarcastic...I have read a few articles in one of the P Car mags when PCCB Gen 1 came out and documented was the fact that they may not stop in shorter distances but they do reduce fade considerably when you use the brakes alot and they heat up. I aslo remember a big article (Tuner shootout) where the 9ff car wearing SL55 brakes won the shootout...also showed that all those big brake upgrades that also cost serious $$ are no better then ordering PCCB..look into the price of those kits with install and you will know they cost big $

Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 AM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
My wife knows nothing about brakes or anything technical like that. I have had 3 996TT, one GT3, many other 993 and 996's and several SL55, SL65, etc. The first time she drove the 997TT, not knowing what kind of brakes it had, she commented how quickly the car stopped and asked if the brakes were anything special. After driving it for a while she said she had to recalibrate her driving and braking when she drove that car.

Perhaps you should drive one with ceramics and see if you can feel the difference. If not, then it may not be worthwhile for you to get it.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally Posted by terrence
My wife knows nothing about brakes or anything technical like that. I have had 3 996TT, one GT3, many other 993 and 996's and several SL55, SL65, etc. The first time she drove the 997TT, not knowing what kind of brakes it had, she commented how quickly the car stopped and asked if the brakes were anything special. After driving it for a while she said she had to recalibrate her driving and braking when she drove that car.

Perhaps you should drive one with ceramics and see if you can feel the difference. If not, then it may not be worthwhile for you to get it.
you let your wife drive your porsche?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo Black/Black 6speed Available**