997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Void Warranty??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Banned
jimdarcy is infamous around these parts
Void Warranty??

Can Porsche void your warranty if you redline the car in the break-in period or too many red line events during ownership?

thanks
Jim

Old 02-03-2007, 10:06 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
There are different types of redline (I think six gradations), basically "hitting the limiter" type and "missed shift" type. The former don't void your warranty (that's why the limiter is there)-- but I wonder if they would hassle you nonetheless if done during breakin.

The latter can be used against you to deny warranty service.

The DME stores info on when you redline and how long you spend > redline, so they would know whether it happened during break-in.

My personal view is that rev-limiter events prob can't cause major problems, even during break-in, but I worry a bit about a random and unrelated problem "blamed" on hard driving during break-in and resulting in a denied claim.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
I would guess that the rev limit has a good safety margin, not like the engine will blow at 100 rpm past the limit. There is nothing to keep you from over reving with a very early downshift though. That's where the real damage can happen and that is sure to be recorded.
Dosn't answer your question though.

OT but a lot of stuff is recorded in a lot of places. A friend with a BMW suv had it catch on fire while he was driving it. He got out as the engine started to burn up, and took the key with him. He told me BMW voided his warranty because he was driving the thing for a very long time with an overheat alarm flashing and the dealer got that information from the chip in the key!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:25 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I've heard the same about the key chip. A porsche salesperson told me the mileage is stored in 3 places, including the chip in the key

Old 02-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned
Is it the time spent in the red zone of the tac or whether the limiter has been tripped? Can Porsche deny service, warranty or otherwise, if they detect any "events"?
thanks
Jim

Old 02-03-2007, 02:22 PM
kamil is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Is it the time spent in the red zone of the tac or whether the limiter has been tripped? Can Porsche deny service, warranty or otherwise, if they detect any "events"?
thanks
Jim
I'm almost sure that there are laws which prevent manufacturers from, well, cheating consumers...You should contact the dealer and ask for all of this in writing.
However, I'd suggest that you re-read your warranty documents twice before.."Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace with a new part distributed by Porsche Cars N.A., at its sole option, any factory-installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. (Normal vehicle use is described in the Porsche Approved Limited Warranty Booklet.)"

It seems as though the dealer is snowballing you....As i have mentioned above, i suggest you ask for everything in writing...that way you can ensure there are no loose ends.

For additional info please go to this link: [url="http://www.sunsetimports.com/porschepowarr.php"]

Cheers and GL,

Kamil

One more thing....I looked into it a little more and it seems that if the dealer can show you that damage has occurred due to over-reving..then you're out of luck...Here's the catch: I think that when the sales associate says, "read your manual and driver's guide before use"....he automatically takes care of all liability issues...smart... Further, remember that Porsche can look into the cars system and retrieve all the information that is required. Lastly, you must remember that it is not the engines fault that you over-reved...it's the drivers fault. Hence, warranties do not cover driver error.

Kamil

Last edited by kamil; 02-03-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by kamil
I'm almost sure that there are laws which prevent manufacturers from, well, cheating consumers...You should contact the dealer and ask for all of this in writing.
However, i'd suggeest that you re-read your warranty documents twice before.."Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace with a new part distributed by Porsche Cars N.A., at its sole option, any factory-installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. (Normal vehicle use is described in the Porsche Approved Limited Warranty Booklet.)"

It seems as though the dealer is snowballing you....As i have mentioned above, i suggest you ask for everything in writing...that way you can ensure there are no loose ends.

For additional info please go to this link: http://www.sunsetimports.com/porschepowarr.php

Cheers and GL,

Kamil
Now that's a complete answer, for the record i have not taken delivery yet, the longest 2 weeks of the year!
Jim

Old 02-03-2007, 02:35 PM
kamil is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Now that's a complete answer, for the record i have not taken delivery yet, the longest 2 weeks of the year!
Jim
Enjoy it in good health when you do!

Kamil

Old 02-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Caligaz997 is infamous around these parts
used?

Lets say you purchased a car with 7000 miles on it and the previous owner had it in the red all the time!! How can a buyer protect themselves from that?
A full diagnostic inspection will be required every time you purchase a vehicle........!!!! No more private sales.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
[quote=kamil]I'm almost sure that there are laws which prevent manufacturers from, well, cheating consumers...You should contact the dealer and ask for all of this in writing.
However, I'd suggest that you re-read your warranty documents twice before.."Porsche Cars N.A. will repair or replace with a new part distributed by Porsche Cars N.A., at its sole option, any factory-installed part that is faulty in material or workmanship under normal use. (Normal vehicle use is described in the Porsche Approved Limited Warranty Booklet.)"

For additional info please go to this link: [url="http://www.sunsetimports.com/porschepowarr.php"]

Cheers and GL,

Kamil

One more thing....I looked into it a little more and it seems that if the dealer can show you that damage has occurred due to over-reving..then you're out of luck...Here's the catch: I think that when the sales associate says, "read your manual and driver's guide before use"....he automatically takes care of all liability issues...smart... Further, remember that Porsche can look into the cars system and retrieve all the information that is required. Lastly, you must remember that it is not the engines fault that you over-reved...it's the drivers fault. Hence, warranties do not cover driver error.

This business of driver error.....if an automatic tranny, there is an electronic block if a downshift is made at too high a road speed (mechanical overrev conditions). This could also be the case with standard transmissions, Porsche could provide a similar shift block too. However, Porsche (&BMW) makesthe shift so easy to do into second at speeds over 70, especially in a panic mode to avoid an accident,that an overrev can happen easily. At least with US-HP cars, the transmission will grind. I notice now the SMG transmissions have electronic blocks to avoid overrevs. Its weird, this driver error principle is crap, a driver can run into a tree, clearly driver error, totally wipe out his car and insurance pays, but god-forbid if you move that hand that 1/8 inch too much moving from 5th to 4th and hit 2nd to avoid killing someone.......for this error shown on the car's computer, Porsche will not honor the warranty nor will insurance cover the "driver error" damage. If an overrev happens, best to run the car into a lake, then all damages including the bent engine valves will be paid for. This auto insurance world is stange indeed.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 AM
turbo'S' is infamous around these parts
I am surprised warranty claims are such an issue, given that a Porsche dealer sees his customer once in two years for a service which is not overly expensive, that the would argue about warranty work, Its all money to the dealer in claiming it from HQ?
Unless the hoops they have to jump through to claim warranty costs are to hard to overcome? Comments?
I know LandRover regularily put things through and just see it as workshop time therfore money to them?