997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New fabspeed air intake, looks killer !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
mikejones997 is infamous around these partsmikejones997 is infamous around these parts
looks jdm I would not put that cheep hot air intake on my p car

Old 02-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Former Vendor
jmiller is infamous around these parts

Dyno verified by Phoenix Performance, winners of multiple SCCA T1 championships and factory technology and racing partners for GM (General Motors) and Subaru USA. Phoenix facility features body shop, multiple race and engine shops, dyno room, etc.

We have pointed out 3 separate RPM's to show how significant the power gains were.

2700 RPM
+26.13 TQ
+13.5 HP

4200 RPM
+19.87 TQ
+15.96 HP

6100 RPM
+25.01 TQ
+28.92 HP

Your 997TT will make significant additional power over the entire rpm range.

All numbers are horsepower and torque to all 4 wheels via the 4 wheel dynojet. Multiply these numbers by 20% to get corrected power at the crankshaft.

We are taking orders
$850 plus shipping

Last edited by jmiller; 02-14-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:17 PM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
The dyno graph perfectly illustrates why peak #s are not as relevant as area under the curve - while the intake appears to "fill in the gaps" on a couple of points compared to the stock intake (resonance related?) the gains only cover a few hundred RPM. Thus, on the dragstrip or road course the power gains will only appear as large as their effect on the average power across the useable powerband.

If we consider the operating range of the 997TT engine 3000 - 6800 RPM (which is generous) we see that the intake picks up ~16 HP from 4200-4400 RPM, and loses roughly the same amount of HP at 4800-5100 RPM. The graph becomes hard to read at that point because of writing, but it clearly shows a gain of ~20HP (avg) from 6000 - 6400 RPM.

So - average HP across the powerband of [3000 - 6800] goes from 340 HP (stock w/mufflers) to 342 HP (above w/intake) -- about a 0.7% gain. This is equivalent to removing 25 lbs from the vehicle.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I am sorry but what I am seeing in the 2 lines can be explained just by the scaling the resolution of the dyno. The 2 plots overlap almost exactly save for a couple spots of variation which last less than 200 rpms. Measuring the total area under the curve the results are going to be within 0.1% of each other. Run a stock car 3 times on the same dyno same day you are going to see that much variation as it is.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Looks to me like it makes power pretty much across the entire RPM band. There are a couple of little dips, but at least it's not losing power.
Stephen and the other tuning gurus what do you guys think?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
If the stock airfilter was a source of restriction, there should be an increasingly diverging pattern at the far right of the dyno when airflow is at the maximum. I don't see that at all.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Tony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of light
I wish it wasn't so but so far I'm not convinced.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned
Tony - PES is infamous around these parts
Just my .02
I went over Joes to drive the car before and after. I could definately feel the difference. It "felt" like it made the power band smoother. Also sounded sick between shifts.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:30 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
I will have a unit very soon. Hang on with the judgement until we have some data. The Vflow made a real 15HP to all four wheels so that doesn't rule out all the claims. I will have some data by the end of the week. I wouldn't had guessed we could have done what we have with stock VGTs.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Banned
blakshukvw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jiaim
Found on the fabspeed website, maybe some didn't seen yet, sorry if it's a repost.

Hope to see some numbers ,I think it looks nasty, love it !

It would look even better with some bmc double cone filters
Or some hose clamps that are the correct size.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
This is Joe @ Fabspeed Motorsports. I designed and tested many versions of the Maxflo CUP high performance air intake system. The filters that I used have velocity stacks inside and these made more power than the BMC F1 GT3 CUP filters that someone photoshopped above.

The OEM Porsche 997TT twin cold air ducts DUMP cold air directly onto the Fabspeed twin filters and the rear engine fan blows cold air into the engine bay. I have tested my car for over 2500 miles from 88degrees down to +6 degrees frigid cold. No CEL lights and much more power in the seat of the pants and as verified on the dyno all across the curve from low end to max rpm.

The factory Porsche 997TT airbox outlets are smaller than Fabspeeds and the right side passenger OEM duct from the factory Porsche 997TT airbox is squashed/crushed to clear the A/C compressors lines. Porsche engineering therefore made each side ducts compromised for the power output they engineered. I went to much tighter radius C.N.C mandrel bent tubing which greatly outflows the stock airbox under all conditions.

IF anyone wants to come by the drive my car let me know.

Have a great day

Joe Fabiani

Old 02-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned
blakshukvw is infamous around these parts
Joe, what do you say about the question of water dripping on the intake filters in the rain and effecting the MAF, and, or CEL's? I have personally seen that be a problem on similar kits with one less filter and some sort of water shielding.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:30 PM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 993RSClubsport
[...] much more power in the seat of the pants and as verified on the dyno all across the curve from low end to max rpm.
Joe,
No offense, but how can you possibly make that claim? Look at the dyno chart which you produced as evidence -- there is NO additional power on almost the entire curve. As eclou mentioned, I've seen more variation on back-to-back dyno passes than there is on the curve you posted.

Frankly I'm not convinced the stock intake is a significant source of restriction at near-stock power levels. Todd @ Protomotive has seen 561 AWHP through the stock airbox & tubes, and my car still uses a bone stock intake and is making a durn sight more than 430 AWHP.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
cooperlee is infamous around these parts
any updates on this regarding horsepower and torque gains?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Duane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud ofDuane has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by treynor
Joe,
No offense, but how can you possibly make that claim? Look at the dyno chart which you produced as evidence -- there is NO additional power on almost the entire curve. As eclou mentioned, I've seen more variation on back-to-back dyno passes than there is on the curve you posted.

Frankly I'm not convinced the stock intake is a significant source of restriction at near-stock power levels. Todd @ Protomotive has seen 561 AWHP through the stock airbox & tubes, and my car still uses a bone stock intake and is making a durn sight more than 430 AWHP.
I am with you on this one. Fabspeed makes great exhausts but this seems like a waste of money especially for $800.00.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New fabspeed air intake, looks killer !