997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Flashing Your Dme

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 AM
mawyatt is infamous around these parts
Stephen, Nate,

I've been thinking of a Fabspeed exhaust and GIAC flash. Can I get another ECU for $1500 programmed with the GIAC code with the correct VIN #, install it and get the enhanced performance? Then if any warranty issue comes up, replace the ECU with the orginial and not have the dealer or PCNA detect that I have swapped the ECUs?

TIA,

Mike

Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, you can do this.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
rjhoskins has a spectacular aura aboutrjhoskins has a spectacular aura about
Yes, you can do this
Wow, this would be a slam dunk for me!! Great info guys.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 PM
unique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Nate@EVO
For anyone interested, we are one of a few authorized independent repair facilities in the US with a certified PIWIS tool and can program new ECU's for the 997TT. With the PIWIS, a new 997TT ECU and VIN # of the car, we can program an additional ECU for any 996TT or 997TT. Additionally, we are the only GIAC dealer that can do this for the 997TT. We charge $1500 which includes a new 997TT ECU that is programmed specifically to the supplied VIN number. Let me know if anyone has any questions regarding this process.
ummm so what u are saying is that u can get us a perfectly new ecu mathing the cars vin # and the dealer would never be able to tell???? is it possible to get ur stock ecu reflashed by lets say giac and have ur installer reflash bacck to stock without ur dealer knowing... i think this is a cheaper option, only if the dealer wont know????? and is it also possible to blow ur motor and then get a brand new chip thats with stok setttings and is matching ur vin #???? im just trying to get the best bang for the buck sorry for all the questions

Old 02-22-2007, 11:18 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, it can always be flashed back to stock without detection.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:31 PM
unique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
i thought whenever you reflash the ecu and u reflash it back to stock the dealer computer can still detect that the car was fooled around with..... and lets say u blow ur motor, and basically u messed up, if u reflash it back to stock on a blown motor will it still reflash back to stock even when the motor was blown..... and sorry for asking so many questions but will there ever be a way where u can switch back to stock and go back to reflashed mode with a flick of a button or a easy way without detection of a reflash from ur dealer

Old 02-22-2007, 11:34 PM
No, the flash counter is reset. Also, keep in mind that the only code it throws if you take the battery off....power failure as in a battery was dead.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 PM
thanx doc...... so i shouldnt be worried about anything.... thanx

+ REP for you

Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Nope, pull the battery and you will be fine. Better to throw a power loss code then a no communication with the DME!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:30 AM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Have you confirmed it? Have you tested to see if it'd indeedy work if you were to get an extra ECU, program it with the VIN, swap it out with the flashed ECU just to see if it shows up on the PIWIS as being modified or being detected as not being the standard ECU? I'd be extremely interested in going this route if nothing can be detected with the extra ECU.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
KINGMONKEY is infamous around these parts
I only tell you as to be safe,Let me put it this way.If you damage the motor,Having nothing to do with the flash and they detect a flash upgrade.Your warranty is void .The dealer must have factory approval for high cost warranty coverage.You may have a great relationship with the dealer,However the dealer will not risk his dealership.If asked by the
factory about a flash.The regional Rep will inspect the car PERIOD.Cover your self with a 2nd DME,Then there is no problem.All the Flashers can get another DME or you get one and provide both to the flasher for coded VIN#.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Its my understanding you can flash the 997TT TO 1200HP the only problem is how long it will last,Porsche race car motors are completely rebuilt after every race.In order for a stock Porsche to last 100k + miles it must be toned down

Old 02-23-2007, 06:45 PM
I made my order today with FVD.I have to send them my DME,They send it to germany 5 day turn around and send me 2 DME'S back.One original OEM
and the Flashed with VIN# and Done.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by KINGMONKEY
Its my understanding you can flash the 997TT TO 1200HP the only problem is how long it will last,Porsche race car motors are completely rebuilt after every race.In order for a stock Porsche to last 100k + miles it must be toned down

I disagree, we have long term data now from the 996TT (same engine) with this kind of mileage in it at 600peak HP. There are no issues commonly associated with more power, IE rings, pistons, cylinders etc. Will it go 100K miles, yes

Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorschePhd
I'm a little confused why people are talking about getting 2 ecu's if it can be flashed back to stock without detection.
stephen- is it truely undetectible?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flashing Your Dme