997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Flashing Your Dme

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
OneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud of
Stupid question... If the dealer took a GIAC flash unit and plugged it in and hit read wouldn't it be game over?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM
gradyex is infamous around these partsgradyex is infamous around these parts
Thats the million dollar question here? Not stupid at all.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:33 PM
paneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to beholdpaneraiwatches is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by OneFasTT996
Stupid question... If the dealer took a GIAC flash unit and plugged it in and hit read wouldn't it be game over?
Yes game over. They will also know if your ecu has been swapped.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:35 AM
unique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud ofunique has much to be proud of
get a chip FTW!

Old 03-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
All this banter... JUST DO IT!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Truble10 is infamous around these parts
My first post here on 6speed. I have a 05 non S 997 and a 02 996TT. Been getting the mod bug for my 997 and spoke with the service manager at my local dealer Porsche North Scottsdale. They are not mod friendly and in fact was even against adding a aftermarket exhaust. I wanted exhaust, cold air intake and ECU flash and they would not do any of it. He specifically told me the flash would void my warranty. He used a radio example and said if my radio went dead they would repair but if there was anything wrong with transmission and/or engine and I had a flash done I was on my own.

I know some dealers will do mod work and they will probably work with you on warranty issues. I bought a 996 TT from Momentum in TX and had lots of mods done at the dealer before the car was delivered. My local would not do any of the same mods. I think every dealer is different with how they handle mods and warranty issues. I sold that car locally and bought another 996 TT in a different color. I was at Posche N. Scotts. one day and saw my car. My salesman said the tranny went out and the car only had 6000 miles. They were in the middle of a warranty issue with the new owner and were not going to cover it because of the mods I had done at Momentum. This was a few years back when the car was only one year old and under full factory warranty.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:16 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Truble10
My first post here on 6speed. I have a 05 non S 997 and a 02 996TT. Been getting the mod bug for my 997 and spoke with the service manager at my local dealer Porsche North Scottsdale. They are not mod friendly and in fact was even against adding a aftermarket exhaust. I wanted exhaust, cold air intake and ECU flash and they would not do any of it. He specifically told me the flash would void my warranty. He used a radio example and said if my radio went dead they would repair but if there was anything wrong with transmission and/or engine and I had a flash done I was on my own.

I know some dealers will do mod work and they will probably work with you on warranty issues. I bought a 996 TT from Momentum in TX and had lots of mods done at the dealer before the car was delivered. My local would not do any of the same mods. I think every dealer is different with how they handle mods and warranty issues. I sold that car locally and bought another 996 TT in a different color. I was at Posche N. Scotts. one day and saw my car. My salesman said the tranny went out and the car only had 6000 miles. They were in the middle of a warranty issue with the new owner and were not going to cover it because of the mods I had done at Momentum. This was a few years back when the car was only one year old and under full factory warranty.
It's even worse than that. Even if you find a mod friendly dealership, a major repair would need to be endorsed by PCNA. Porsche will do everything they can not to cover a warranty claim.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:19 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bbywu
It's even worse than that. Even if you find a mod friendly dealership, a major repair would need to be endorsed by PCNA. Porsche will do everything they can not to cover a warranty claim.
Exactly - this has always been my point here and especially when I had my E55 on the benz forums. It's great that you have a mod friendly dealer - however, don't fall into a fall sense of security. Any major problems and you'll most likely be on your own.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
stealth is infamous around these parts
Here is some food for thought. Is there any truth to this picture? And if so, when is this code triggered? I saved it a while back from another forum.

Last edited by stealth; 03-21-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 PM
OneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud ofOneFasTT997 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stealth
Here is some food for thought. Is there any truth to this picture? And if so, when is this code triggered? I saved it a while back from another forum.

There is a lot of truth in the red x ;-)

I believe this is what they were talking about happening if you do not disconnect your battery first.

Last edited by OneFasTT997; 03-21-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:27 PM
stealth is infamous around these parts